Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

I wanna try my hand at some crosses

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I wanna try to cross pollinate some peppers via paintbrush. I was inspired by how cool greenman28's thai x bhut pods looked.

I had some ideas for some crosses between things I have available. I figured I'd make good use of one of the thai dragon peppers as the base plant, namely the upright one, since he looks cool. plus he sets pods like it's no big deal, and the pods have a ton of seeds.

I figured thai x brain strain would look wicked.

the thai x bhut looked really cool. still waiting to hear how it tastes.

tabasco x habanero, ...a tabanero? might taste pretty good.

I've also got some serrano I could throw in the mix somewhere.

in a way I'm excited by the idea of unstable crosses, and wacky things happening. I'd love to see something really weird come from a thai x brain strain.

I've got the paintbrush, I've got the plants, but it's 2am. so this will be a tomorrow project. any good advice before I begin?

Comments (11)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I like the idea, I am trying the same I have a Bhut X white Hab and I am also trying a Bhut X mystery pepper just to see the results. I used the guide to cross link below to cross the peppers. Good luck and have fun. The key is if you like the results to grow it out and the more F's you got behind it the more stable the strain will become.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Excellent guide with pics

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had read something more or less along those lines. hadn't seen it with pictures though. gonna try that today. my wife doesn't need to know that I'm stealing her tweezers.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so I did 2 manual crosses today. both brain x thai. I forgot how non steady my hands are for stuff like that.

I'll see how it goes. do I need to do it multiple times? by that I mean should I take the brush to it again tomorrow?

what's a brain x bhut like? I mean, someone must have already tried that.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Once should be good, if it takes a pod will form, if not it will drop. Will be cool to see pods next season from your crosses.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a site with many crosses Enjoy!

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Crossing is easy...stabilizing for predictable uniformity is the hard part.

G'luck.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm gonna be honest here. I'm not looking to start a new strain to put on the market. I just figured I'd let a few plants in my garden be something weird next year. I figure thai x brain would have to be an interesting plant.

they're both good tasting peppers, one is hot and the other one is really hot. I mean, what could go wrong? seems like whatever traits it ends up getting would be something I'd like. and it's gotta look weird. and the thai puts off a ton of peppers, really early in the season. I'd love my wacky F1 cross to get that trait.

let's keep in mind I have precisely zero experience in this, this is my first year growing. that might be why I'm so optimistic. but my season is nowhere near over, so I intend to keep experimenting.

• don555
    10 years ago

Experiment away! Just make sure you keep track of which pods have been cross-pollinated, and by which other peppers.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

JP, it's been a week, did your crosses take?

I tried this for the first time ever as well this wkd
    Datil x Fatali
    Moruga Scorpion x Scotch Bonnet
    Mustard Hab x Bhut Jolokia

I'm curious to see how another "first timer" is doing.

It was a pain in the ass!! Perhaps this is a wake up call to cut down on my caffeine intake.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

both my attempts failed. there are no flowers on my brain right now, so I gotta wait for new ones to show up to try again. I didn't expect too much success, given that it was a first attempt. I'll try again. it takes a lot to get me discouraged.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

First time trying to cross peppers. Here is a pic of my pod which contains the seeds of a cross

Ghost X White bullet habanero

Pod is almost 100% ripe. This little fella is a fighter survived three tip overs due to storm winds and the plant being too top heavy, I lost a few ghost pods but this one held on. I used a red bread twist tie as my marker.

Mark

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I also tried a Mystery pepper X Ghost used a white twist tie for a marker.

Mark