Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holy Moles--recipes, anyone?

Posted by kathy9norcal CA 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 2:13

I just couldn't resist buying this plant because of the name and because it had such a nice pepper already on it. They are long and thin, about 6-7 inches, and turn brownish when ripe. They grow very fast, too.
Has anyone used these in recipes?
(I am sort of embarrassed at admitting I bought this but I am a newbie. I am pretty sure it is not a hot pepper, either.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holy Moles--recipes, anyone?

HM is very similar to Chilaca, if not the same thing. Dried one I think is called Pasilla.So it is used as dry pepper. It has alot more flavor when dried, IMO. I grew it last year and I am growing it again. And I intend to air dry them when ripe.

o

Recent thread on this. Dry and grind then use w/ancho powder and cascabel powder for a more authentic Chile powder.
May also use Guajillo and Chile Dr Arbor.
It's traditional use is in a mole sauce.

o

I've been growing them for years. My favorite use, dry them, rehydrate (yes, Kevin, I said rehydrate ;-) you have convinced me), blend till smooth, and add to chili... it's wonderful in chili. Or, if you have 20-30 hrs make an authentic mole sauce. ;-)
Pam

o

Great info. I never dried chile peppers before. I am guessing we can use our food dehydrator or low temps in the oven. I will do a search for more info on the process.
Does mole sauce really take that long??

o

Pasilla is a staple in moles from Oaxaca and/or other places.

o

;-) Kathy, look up a traditional recipe... yeah, I exaggerated, but sheesh, the ingredients list can take 2 pages.
Here's one recipe:

http://www.macheesmo.com/2012/04/holy-mole/

a bit less involved:
http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/supersalsas/r/Mole.htm

o

Chilaca/holy Mole ca be air dried b stringing and hanging. But I suppose dehydrator can be better and faster.

o

Yeah, I watched a chef (Rick Bayless?) make a "quick" mole. You kept thinking, "Ah, there it is." Then he starts on a whole new component! A true mole might have layers of flavor that can be appreciated only by bloodhounds.

Obviously, I've never made one. But I've had some mediocre ones... Even mediocre ones are good.

Dennis

o

Quick mole is an oxymoron.

o

Yep, Dennis, I agree. Considering when someone asks me what a some variety of pepper tastes like my first response, "a pepper." or, an annuum, or a chinense. I'm really jealous of those people that can pick out flavors and give you a list of the flavors you get when eating a certain pepper... I'm not one.
Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here