Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does pollen affect the taste of peppers?

Posted by Sluginator 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 2:49

My neighbor was remarking that his cayenne pepper is hotter than it should be, so it must have cross-pollinated with a pepper next to it.

It is my understanding that the fruits from this year's pepper will not be affected by any plant sex that is going on. If you plant the seeds from this year's crop, then you will see the effects, but not in the fruits of a plant that was started with lst year's seeds.

Am I correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does pollen affect the taste of peppers?

You are right sluginator.
Pollination can only affect the seeds produced in the pods. What you get in terms heat , size, shape, flavor , .. comes from the seed that you planted.

The flavor and heat of a given pepper can be affected by what stage it is at, growing condition ( sun, heat, water ..). Some peppers are hot from day one. Some develop it later. CASE : Today I picked few young green Thai Hots.They were tasty but had ZERO heat.

o

Thanks, seysonn! That's what I thought.

o

• Posted by Orekoc 7 Willamette Valley (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 0:07

Yeah, a common myth, that is completely wrong. My grandmother used to tell me that watermelon and cantaloupes would cross pollinate. I didn't argue with her, just told her that modern breeding had fixed the issue, so no worries. She believed me. It was a lot easier than trying to change her mind about it.

o

Yep a lot of people think this, including myself at one point. If you think about it in common terms it makes sense. It would be like breeding a female chihuahua with a Great Dane and expecting the chihuahua to grow.

This post was edited by scott123456 on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 20:24

o

Sluginator,

Explain it to your neighbor this way...

If he/she has sex with his/her spouse, friend, other neighbors spouse, etc. neither of their physical characteristics change. If the sex results in a kid then the kid will inherit traits from both parents. Cross results show up in offspring.

Bill

o

Fred Farkle vs. Ferd Burfle.

Or is that too obscure?

o

Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 23:19

Verrrrry interesting.

o

LOL DMF,

Obviously Orekoc got the "obscure" reference.

Thanks for the laugh!

To this.to this day I still remember the episode when...

Goldie says: You know, I have to improve my mind, or bust.

and Dick says: Well, two out of one ain't bad, you know.

o

Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 2:31

Fine lookin' family you got there, Fred.

o

I totally forgot about the Farkels. 68' to 73' on Sunday nights they'd show up once in a while. Too funny!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD8iR25kBYI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here