Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppa donts .....LOL

Posted by Armageddon none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 3:10

this is my first year trying them out .... thanks to a great fella here on the garden web . I am very glad i put most of these guys in my test gardens with other mixed veggies also have a few in pots that will be overwintered but they Grow Fast & very large they was planted around the same time as some of my other plants and seem to be over towering them by 3ft & shading them out making the others not grow as well but i decided not to cut them back as i am very anxious to test these peppers with some rubs salsas & even pickled will have some of these seeds to share in the next couple weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppa donts .....LOL

Armageddon, agreed, it's definitely a vigorous grower and it puts out a load of pods.

I'm not sure how you'll find it in rubs and salsas etc. I think its popularity pretty much hinges on pickling the peppers in a sweet brine.

Folks generally fall into two camps with pickled peppadew; those who love them and those who don't understand why people love them ;-) Personally I fall into the ? group.

I'm not sure if you got the seeds from me. I do have a copy cat brine recipe (the original is a proprietary closely guarded secret). If you'd like it send me an email.

Bill

o

I was amazed at how long these guys took to ripen! I had already harvested several super hots before I had my first red Peppadew. I was also surprised at the heat level. I was expecting little to no heat, and got close to what I get from my jalapenos. I have 3 plants, and my tallest is close to 5 and 1/2 feet.

Tim

o

Wow Tim, Jalapeno heat? Strange, I found the half dozen pods I tasted raw had no heat.

o

Interesting....here's a pic. What do you think would cause the extreme difference in heat? I do have one plant in a small pot and it dries out quickly. That stress could account for a small variance, but I wouldn't think that much.

Tim

o

They look like Peppadews should. As for the heat, I was expecting them to have some from what I've read. I guess I just sampled the weak pods or I've eaten too many hots ;-)

o

My Peppa also are very mild, just a snippit of heat toward the stem. Also are taking forever to ripen, but I love the taste of them, the plants are humungus, and are a definite for next year. I'll be attempting to overwinter them as well. Thanks for a great pepper.

o

I have overwintered a plant for a few years - it tolerates total neglect in my basement.

It's also tolerated total neglect on my deck.

I need to transplant to new soil.

Mine are quite hot - perhaps from the lack of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here