Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil or mint to deter aphids on pepper plants?

Posted by MVR2014 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 4:31

Sorry to post this here, but it IS related to pepper plants, so...

I was wondering what's the best companion plant to deter aphids from my peppers. I read that basil or garlic can deter aphids. But then I also found other articles that talked about getting rid of aphids ON basil plants! Same with garlic, which is *supposed* to deter aphids!

So, which is it, really?

This post was edited by MVR2014 on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 4:33

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil or mint to deter aphids on pepper plants?

Basil doesn't "deter" aphids, it attracts them away from other plants.

Some plants like marigolds do (apparently) deter some insects, but I've never heard that aphids is one of them.

Garlic deters vampires.

Dennis

o

mint doesn't deter anything. it's supposed to attract insects that eat the bad bugs. I began to suspect that's because the mint plant attracts so many of the bad bugs that the wasps will come in to eat them. eventually. I found that growing mint did more harm than good.

o

I haven't had any luck with any of the companion planting either. I planted garlic and it had black aphids all over it lol same with marigolds. While my peppers still had green aphids. Best thing is diligent surveying of your plants, and spraying them off with water. I tried Neem and it never really worked for me either at least for long term deterrence. The one thing I found that actually seemed to keep them off was this peppermint/rosemary oil spray I got from walmart. Either that or they got tired of me spraying and squishing them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here