Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandysgardens

Your Favorite Pepper Sauce Recipe

sandysgardens
10 years ago

If you have a favorite Pepper Sauce recipe, please post to share with others on GW Pepper Forum. Much prefer trying recipes from GW friends than just any recipe found on the web..... Also any tips/tricks you'd like to share.

I'm hoping to try my hand at making some hot sauces over the next month.

This winter if anyone's interested, I'll gather all the recipes posted and put together into an informal 'Hot Sauce' document to share....

Thanks for your time and your wonderful recipe.
Sandy

Comments (19)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Good Idea Sandy.
    I will be looking forward to seeing it.
    Bruce

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

god, I'm gonna have a field day on this thread. I've made so many hot sauces in the past few weeks (just made 2 new ones last night). I'll list some of my favorites, and come back and fill in the details. these are the names I've come up with for them:

roasted ghost sauce (or, the ghost with the roast, if you like beetlejuice references)

fiery mango chutney

tabasco carrot sauce

angry tabasco marinara.

thai fire sauce

the cure for brain freeze (favorite)

I've made a few more, but those are the ones that stick out as being worth sharing. really I'm making this particular post as a way to make myself be obligated to come back and fill this in later, I don't have time at the moment.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I tried to get my friend to post her's but she won't. She gave me some (my Trinidadian friend, judo ;-)) that she made, she mixed up mango and some chiles from the Asian store, what else she put in, I have no idea, but it was wonderful. Mixed with some honey and smeared onto a chicken breast and baked. OMG!!!
    Pam

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

I began lacto fermenting some of my aji peppers last weekend with the hopes of being able to make some sort of pepper sauce.

It's my first try, so wish me luck.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I would like to make some pepper sauce too.

Yesterday I made some pepper relish - I used a recipe from the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture and substituted some of the mild peppers with my home grown sorta hots -none of my super hots are ready yet so the next batch will have some of those.

6 cups of chopped peppers (I used 4.5c red peppers as a base then added 1.5c jalapeno and ring of fire peppers and 1 devil's tongue that fell of the plant while still green-waste not want not...)
    6 cups chopped onion
    1.5 cups sugar
    6 cups white vinegar
    2 tbspn pickling or canning salt
    Boil till reduced by about a 1/3 - I boiled it until it was just a little thinner than bottled sweet relish - thinner because once it cools it will thicken up.
    This made 10 1/2 pint jars which I processed so that they will have a long shelf life. You only need to use the water bath canning process because of the high acidity from the vinegar.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I said I'd come back to this thread, and I finally got the time.

Fiery mango chutney 16oz
    1 "brain strain" 7pot pepper
    1 mango (the best ones for this are only about 1/4 red, not too hard, not too soft)
    2 tablespoons lime joice
    8 cloves of garlic
    1 leaf of "cuban oregano"
    I'm told the original recipe calls for culantro (not cilantro), but we didn't have any on hand.
    pinch of salt

burning brain sauce 16oz
    2 brain strains, seeds removed
    1 red bell
    2 tbsp of tomato paste,
    3 clovesgarlic
    2-3 tbsp lime juice,
    3oz white vinegar,
    3oz white wine vinegar,
    1/3 tsp brown sugar,
    1 tsp salt,
    1/8tsp Badia 'sazon tropicale'

orange fire/solar flare 40oz unboiled
    11 ripe orange Habanero
    2 crunch sweet orange peppers (seeds removed)
    2/3 cup shredded carrot (2 small carrots put in food processor)
    1 tbsp (compacted) minced garlic (5 cloves)
    14oz white vinegar
    4oz white wine vinegar
    6oz distilled water
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/8tsp Goya 'sazon tropicale' orange
    1tsp salt
    1/4tsp brown sugar
    1/4tsp dried cilantro

roasted ghost sauce 32oz unboiled
    6 ghost peppers, roasted over applewood chunks
    1 unroasted ghost pepper
    4 roasted crunch sweet red peppers (seeds removed)
    6 tabasco peppers
    2 tbsp garlic (7 cloves)
    3 cups white vinegar
    1 cup distilled water
    2 tsp salt
    1/2tsp black pepper
    1 leaf culantro (sawtooth herb)
    5 tbsp shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)

50 tabasco sauce
    50 very ripe tabasco peppers 28oz unboiled
    1 carrot
    1 tsp garlic
    2tbsp tomato paste
    6oz white vinegar
    6oz distilled water
    ü tsp brown sugar
    1/8tsp onion powder

thai pepper sauce 16 oz
    20 ripe thai peppers
    6 cloves garlic
    3 tbsp tomato paste
    6oz white vinegar
    3oz distilled water

these are all still a work in progress. I am now getting into hot bottling and storing for later. I am gonna be making a larger batch of the thai sauce and the mango sauce soon.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks Judo,

I like the "Orange Fire". I gotta make some, maybe half as much.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Awesome I'm going to try your orange sauce this wkd as well. I was trying to envision a recipe with orange habs, maybe some orange zest (strained out after cooking), and maybe a little fresh ginger (strained out as well), and call it "Asian Orange" (a play on Agent Orange), or something. But I have no idea about quantities of other ingredients so this is awesome. I'll try this first before improvising. Thanks for sharing.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

the technique I've been using, and I should have mentioned this before, is to blend it really good, then put it on the stove to at medium heat for 10 min to soften up the chunks (put the bottles in a pot of water to boil around this time), then blend it again to get a nice smooth liquid, then boil the crap out of it, and bottle it hot so it can be stored at room temperature until you open it.

also, that orange one and the roasted ghost are both really really hot. use with care, or use less peppers. the roasted ghost is probably the hottest thing I've ever made, and I've made some really hot stuff.

has anyone ever used curry powder in a hot sauce? I was thinking about it last night. my wife thinks it would taste bad, I think a tiny pinch would add some complexity to the flavor.

I was also considering experimenting with saffron since I have a bunch (my parents give awesome gifts), but that stuff is worth more than its weight in gold, so I'm hesitant to waste it. I picture it tasting good though. saffron chicken is delicious with hot sauce on it, so I already know the flavors mix well.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 13:23

• seysonn
    10 years ago

has anyone ever used curry powder in a hot sauce?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Judo,

Curry in Indian language means "SAUCE", though it is a dry one.
    Most of the ingredients in it is turmeric. Some of the other ingredients are: pepper corn, coriander, cumin...
    you can add those individually. Perhaps with orange sauce turmeric could fit well. Plus it can add different aroma and flavor too.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

I wanted to buy a couple dozen 5oz sauce bottles - a company in town had them but there was a minimum order of $60, or 9 dozen (with toppers). To order 2 dozen from another company online would be $60 (including shipping). So now I have 9 dozen bottles to fill.

I was monkeying around with a mess of orange habs, I came up with this and toyed with it until it worked.

The pH comes in at right around 4, so it's shelf stable I think. I put mine in the fridge but gave one to my brother who left it out for about a week, with no ill effects.

Forgive the measurements, I basically measured by weight what I had on hand.

It is sweet and hot, much like my wife. However, unlike my wife it is not very gingery. I would add a bit more next time.

---------------------
    Asian Orange

130g orange habs
    130g orange bell
    1.5 cups vinegar (white)
    65g carrot (chunks)
    8g garlic (2 small cloves)
    0.5 TB grated ginger
    3 "swipes" orange zest (basically one swipe of the outer peel with a vegetable peeler
    1 "swipe" lemon zest
    2 TB orange juice (fresh)
    1 TB lemon juice (fresh)
    1 TB honey
    1 tsp salt

I cooked this all until soft (~10 mins), then (carefully) pureed the crap out of it, running at full speed for about a full minute. Then I returned it to a pot to boil, passing it through a strainer on the way. I used a splash of vinegar to rinse some of the good bits out of the blender. Boil for ~10 mins, then pour directly into sterile bottles, place the caps on and invert the bottles until cool.

I was only slightly impressed at first, but after it sat for a few days it was actually very good.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

your recipe sounds good. and I have most of those ingredients lying around.

how many habs was it? I don't have a scale available, but I do have about 35 really ripe orange habs in the fridge. and how many 5oz bottles did you fill?

ginger sounds like a good addition. you say you'd have added a bit more, like how much more do you think? I might make this one tomorrow. I was even thinking a tiny tiny splash of teriyaki.

also, what was the consistency like? I might add a lil spoonful of tomato paste to thicken it up.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

It wasn't many - about 15 regular sized habs and 3/4 of an orange bell. It filled two - 5 oz bottles with a bit to spare - I was just experimenting. You could easily double the recipe with 35 habs and 2 bell peppers. I would have doubled the ginger - I really expected to taste it more, but that may be a personal preference.

The consistency is just perfect - I think the honey addition thickened it just perfectly - almost like a thin barbecue sauce.

It's your call, but if teryiaki or tomato paste were added I would be concerned the beautiful colour of the sauce would be tarnished - I will post a pic of it tomorrow. But I get your thinking and I like the idea. Maybe a tiny bit of roasted sesame would do something? - it's all improv.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I was thinking about the color of the sauce too. I made some orange hab sauce (bright orange) the other day, it was way too thin of a consistency, but I didn't wanna screw up the color so I didn't add anything else. now I regret it.

I have yellow bells in the fridge too. using them instead of the orange bells might balance out the red of the tomato sauce and keep it a nice orange.

• sandysgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some good sounding recipes here. I have very few super hots riping at one time, so I may need find a local source of them so I can make a decent size batch. I do have quite a few regular hot/mild peppers so I'll be trying some with them.

Mctiggs - Approximately how many habs make 130g.

Anyone has a recipe to share please feel free to share.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Here's the A.O. (what's left of it).

Sandy - appx 15 habs make up 130g, mine are between 7 and 10 grams each on average. A $5 digital scale from ebay is one of the best things I ever purchased, it makes recreating recipes so much easier.

• Lars
    9 years ago

I was looking for hot sauce recipes here and found this thread. Here is my recipe, which I posed on the Cooking forum last year:

Habanero Chili Sauce

The way I make it is to take a bunch of habanero chilies (12 to 20) and put them in a grill pan so that they will not fall through the grates of the barbeque, and then I char them slightly over mesquite charcoal, but you can use whatever charcoal you like, but it must be charcoal or wood to get the smoky flavor that I like. I usually roast a few cloves of garlic in the pan with the chilies, and I also roast a few of the large red or yellow bell peppers, to make the sauce a bit milder and make it go further. After the chilies are charred, I move them to a Pyrex or Corningware pan that has a good lid, and I let them steam covered. They must be covered right after they are removed from the grill. You can use whatever ripe chilies you have, but cayenne is not a very good choice because it is not very fleshy. You can include the tiny Thai chilies also, but I generally only use fairly large chilies, as they are better for making a sauce.

After the chilies have cooled (sometimes in the fridge overnight), I remove the stems, some seeds, and some of the skin that is loose and put them through a food mill with the garlic, but you can use a sieve or colander, as long as the holes are small enough for the seeds not to pass through. Be careful of fumes at this point, and you may want to wear a snorkel to avoid breathing them in. You may want to wear rubber gloves also, but I generally do not. The worst part of it is when you have to rinse out the food mill, for when you do this, even more fumes come up in the air.

When you have the bulk of the chilies through the food mill or sieve, add salt and vinegar - I generally add one part white Balsamic vinegar for four parts of chili puree, and I add a fair amount of salt - about one tablespoon per cup of sauce, but you can add more to help preserve it. I freeze some of it in plastic bags, but I have found that it keeps fairly well in the fridge, if you add enough vinegar.

A lot of people add carrots and other vegetables to this sauce, but I prefer to keep it pure, and that way I have the most concentrated flavor. You get a lot of flavor in this sauce in a tiny amount of it. I highly recommend that you add the red bell peppers, as they also give a good flavor and make the sauce go a bit further.

Lars

• kclost
    9 years ago

My sauce is made using ý Ghost Peppers and ý Red Jalapenos. I use a Vitamix blender to blend everything, and IâÂÂm telling you it is one bad a## blender.
    Get enough peppers of each variety (you can substitute others) to almost completely fill the blender container to the top âÂÂwhenâ it is blending. I remove the seeds from the Jalapenos but not the Ghosts for heat (this is meant to be a very hot sauce). Add ý of all the peppers (no stems) to start along with about 6 oz of Red Wine Vinegar and around 4oz of lemon juice. Add some salt and a few garlic cloves. I have also added some cooked carrot and onions but it is not necessary. Have some water ready to thin it down a bit.
    Turn on the blender to high, add all of the remaining peppers to fill the container. Let it run for at least 6-10 minutes. The Vitamix will blend âÂÂeverythingâÂÂ. So much so you will not see any bits of seed at all. The friction from the blade will heat up the blend mix to around 180F, so it will be hot in more ways than one, Lol⦠At this point you should probably already have gloves and a mask on. :-)
    Transfer the mix to a good size sauce pot and bring it up to a boil (preferably outside if you have a pan burner on your grill) it will get to your sinuses bad indoors. I usually boil two Blender containers at a time. It wonâÂÂt take long to start boiling and when it does you will see foam build up on the top of the mix. Boil it a few minutes and turn it down to a simmer and skim off the foam until it is all gone and no more develops.
    Stop the boiling and bottle immediately.
    Enjoyâ¦..

• sleekit
    9 years ago

The best sauce I ever made (and is what my garden is geared towards now), was a mix of labuyos and chocolate bhuts with most of the seeds removed but with ribs left intact. Fermented for a month with grey sea salt. Then simmered with roughly 1/4 cup cider vinegar (didn't measure), 2 tablespoons diced fresh garlic and a little fresh ground black pepper.

Great flavor and what a scorcher. The labuyos got you right off the bat while the bhuts did their slow build. Garlic and black pepper added some savory to the rather fruity sauce for balance.

I wish I had measured the quantity of pods cause it's going to take some experimenting to get the labuyo/bhut ratio right again. Learn from my mistakes good people of GW. Measure and take notes. You might unintentionally strike gold.

Sponsored