Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themastergardener1

Never grow Cayenne :)

TheMasterGardener1
11 years ago

If you want a heavy producer of green, never to turn red, tasteless peppers, you might try cayenne. ;)

Well, I have healthy cayenne bushes that have 60 or more peppers on each bush, but none turning red. Cayenne is suppose to finish in like 80 days. I have a sun thai that has red peppers all over it that is supposed to take longer then Cayenne. My jalapeno have yielded pounds from smaller plants.

I grew Cayenne because-

One of my favorite peppers ever.

They are a fairly hot pepper for how long they are SUPPOSED to take to finish.

What else makes a better wing sauce? Nothing :)

None of my cayenne are turning red. I tryed a green one and it has an off taste, and has no heat.

Has this happend to anyone else?

Like I said, I will never grow cayenne ever again. I could not even think how much peppers it would take to make one bottle of hot sauce that sells for 1.50 for a nice sized bottle like crystal hot sauce. :)

Here it is. Now it has so many peppers you can not even see to the other side of it. I am hoping they all turn red at the end. It is a heavy producer of green tasteless peppers :)

{{gwi:46010}}

Comments (26)

• homefry319
    11 years ago

Mine have barely turned either, we have 25 plants I think Ive pulled maybe 4-5 quarts (there for me personally so I dont weigh them)

theres a ton of peppers like that, but they turn very very quick, like youll walk out one day and half the plant will be red

also were in the same zone and I usually dont see them turn until mid August, though with the warmth this year theyve been turning earlier.

I also picked a bunch green and pickled them.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So you have had some cayenne turn red this season yet?

None of mine have turned red at all. First time growing Cayenne, and last time.

• Calcat36
    11 years ago

May I ask where your seed came from?

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calcat36,

I know something is up because cayenne is supposed to be a quik. I did not start any plants from seeds. Most I purchased in 4 packs for cheap. I got them at HD and lowes. The same 4 packs of the jalapeno are producing like crazy, the cayenne are producing just not turning red. It is odd. I have varieties that take longer then cayenne and have already harvested many red peppers.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

yup, it maybe a bit more than a couple quarts, hanging a bunch to dry

{{gwi:1198680}}

also, Id say try at least one more season with them, so many different variables when growing plants, it could be that particular plant or other things

for example I have 1 mini bell plants thats about 2 feet taller than any of my other ones but only has 1 pepper on it

• Darylltx
    11 years ago

Patience patience patience. mine took months but in 100 degree weather they all turn. I was disappointed in the heat level too.

• Calcat36
    11 years ago

@TMG- I have had good luck growing from seed. My daughter loves cayenne flakes. Won't touch stale store bought stuff. I can send you some seeds if you would like to try growing out next year. This year I went with Ring of Fire because it sounded different and those pods are slowly ripening for me. And that is a bummer but there is still some growing season left.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

homefry,

I hope I get some cayenne like that! So maybe mine where not the best variety.

Dary11tx,
    Those are some nice sized cayenne there. Yea the heat levels are not high, but I can taste some heat.

Calcat36,

Yea these plants were all from the same batch so maybe it is the variety or something. I had a lot of fun growing the cayenne and I think these will turn red at the end of the season. Next season I am down to two varieties due to my limited space. I am doing a lot of jalapeno because friends and family just can't get enough of them and it is one of my favorite as well. I am very happy to with the production of jalapenos. The next one I will be doing is way more Thai Sun peppers-super hot,extremely productive and quik to ripen,compact,easy to dry, great salty/citrus explosion of flavor, followed by a few hours of heat!!! :o

• Calcat36
    11 years ago

The offer is open for seeds. I grow every kind of Jalapeno as well because the kids here love them. This is my first year growing Biker Billy's and they grow like weeds! Waiting for pods though, so we will see how that works out.

Good luck with the cayenne...

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

@Calcat36.....In your opinion, what is the best jalapeno to grow. I've always bought my jalapeno plants from Lowes or Walmart. This is the first year I've grown super hots from seeds, but I still bought my jalapenos from box stores. I assume they only sell the most common type of jalapenos, so I'm sure that's all I'm familiar with. Do you have a suggestion for a new jalapeno strain? My wife and I love making homemade salsa and pico de gallo. I'm trying to get her to try new peppers, but she really likes the jalapeno.Thanks.

Tim

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is that Billy Biker's Jalapeno the really hot, quik finishing one? I think I seen that somewhere, would really like to try that out.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

@peppernovice

I can send you some OP Jalapeno seeds from Grandes and Black later in the season if youd like?

Ill grab a few peppers on the inner rows as there grown right next to each other so if there was a cross it'd most likely be crossed with another jalapeno

• Calcat36
    11 years ago

@ peepernovice, I usually grow generic jalapeno but since they were preferred by the kids, this year I have purple jalapeno, Gigante, Jalapeno M, Tam Jalapeno, and Biker Billy. Whenever I see a different variety, I buy the seed. Which is the best? Not sure yet, but they all have great germination rates.

@TMG, I bought the Biker Billy's from Burpee. I think they are exclusive to them. I started 3 seeds, all 3 grew and now the plants are 3+ feet high and finally flowering in pots.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

@homefry319.....I'll grow whatever you want to send. I'm not too much concerned about cross pollination. I'm only growing them for myself and friends. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you a SASBE. If I have anything you want to grow, just let me know. I'll send it with the SASBE. I'm not sure if I have my seeds on my page. Tried to update it a while back and I don't think everything was on it. Just let me know in the e-mail if there's something you want. I don't have everything, but I'll share what I have. Thanks again.

Tim

• Calcat36
    11 years ago

@peppernovice... Got an email matching the above post from you but I cannot reply because no email address was provided. I'd be happy to send seeds if you were referring to me. 'm new here trying to figure the process out as well.

Semper Fi.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Have patience. I grow them as well, and they are late finishers, but when they start they'll turn almost all at once. Mine are still green, but I know will change in plenty of time. They are worth the wait, as they are the single best variety for vinegar hot sauces. Super chilis are similar and larger, but are also late finishers as well.

• Darylltx
    11 years ago

I agree with Cap; they are late finishers. I planted mine in may and now all turned red at once in August. They were as easy to grow as jalapenos.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are right they are as easy to grow as jalapeno. I have noticed none of any jalapeno turned red, so why should I think the cayenne will quik. It is just odd that both my hot cherry and Thai are giving me tons of red pods.

I just had some cyenne change red today so I will have to get some pics. I stilll wont grow it ever again though :)

• capoman
    11 years ago

Simple. Cherry and Thai are early finishers. I also have a ton of cherries that are ripe red. Each variety works on it's own schedule, and in general, the hotter they are, the later they are. My Bhuts are still green too (except for the clone I overwintered which is making it early). Hungarian wax, which are one of the least hot are always one of the first to ripen.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Capoman,
    maybe your right,but My thai are so hot they burn for hours, I could never consider even eating a slice of one again:) They have turned red the fastest. They really out did any of my other peppers.

Maybe because the Thai was so amazing I am just putting everything else down. Even the cherry has gave me red peppers but just not enough for me to ever grow it again either :) Guess I am a bit selective. So far next year I will grow Jalapeno,ThaiSun,orange hab. Not that I am giving up on Cayenne, I just don't have the space for something that won't produce amazingly fast. And Again, I am sure it was the seeds in which the plants came from.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

@peppernovice

sorry I forgot which thread this discussion was in, I pulled a bunch of black seed this morning, I still need to grab some grandes(none were red)

Ill shoot you a message when I do

@everyone else

so I went up on tuesday and about half my Cayenne's were red, I dried a bunch and ground a bout a half pound of powder

I also decide to bring some to market see how they do, if they dont sell Ill just dry them

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good idea, homefry, they should really dry well.

• pepperjoe_2008
    11 years ago

MasterGardener1.....You have to be kidding.
    Cayenne's are probably THE most dependable variety to grow that ripens the fastest.
    This is a joke, right?

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

See thats what I mean. Somthing is up. I have had peppers on the plants for months and they have not turned red? It is very odd.

Not like these Thai peppers, they are turning red relatively quik.

{{gwi:46009}}

• richiebaker1245
    11 years ago

I have a cayenne that has not grown well, it has 5 chillies on. They have been green for weeks and weeks. So long in fact the other day one went a dark brownish green. I thought it was going rotten because it had been on the plant for so long. However, couple of days later, it's turned red. Just waiting for the others now...

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"MasterGardener1.....You have to be kidding.
    Cayenne's are probably THE most dependable variety to grow that ripens the fastest.
    This is a joke, right?"

Why? Do you some seeds? Bahahahaha ;)

Sponsored