Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any info about the Las Cruces chile?

Posted by PEPPERMEISTER1 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 8:06

Last year Pepper Joe offered seeds for the Las Cruces chile. My buddy Tom bought a pack and waited till this Spring to give me a seedling. Pepper Joe didn't offer the Las Cruces pepper seeds this year. The plant looks great but I'm not sure what the ripe fruit should look like or really any other info about this elusive plant. All the info I have is that the fruit are jalapeno shaped, thick skinned and not too hot (3-4 out of 10). I will be sure to save seeds from this pepper, since I can;t find seeds any where else on the net.
Here's a pic I took this morning. Thos pods are about 3" long. Any info would be appreciated:
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out my pepper gardening blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any info about the Las Cruces chile?

Hi PepperMeister1.

I grew the Las Cruces in 2009. VERY similar to a Wenk's Yellow Hot or Santa Fe Grande. Medium thick wall with just a hint of heat. Most jalapenos are hotter. Good in salsa.

I've grown all three and I prefer the other two over the Las Cruces. I haven't grown it since. Doesn't mean it's a bad pepper though.

Hope you enjoy it.

Rick

Las Cruces

o

Rick, you a my hero. Thanks for the info. I think Wenk's just got added to my grow list for next summer. I also asked Pepper Joe himself and he said this:
"it is a large stocky pepper...like an Ancho so it should grow some more...but in this heat this year expect it to be smaller than the norm. Give it the good ole' taste test to see when it's ready to eat."

Here is a link that might be useful: Visit my blog for pepper growing tips, recipes and chile info

o

There must be two types of Las Cruces peppers out there now. NMSU's CPI now lists a Las Cruces that is a cayenne pepper. I grew it this year, but didn't get a whole lot of yield due to some subpar growing conditions. The one you posted looks like a jalapeno.

I think I have some rdback Las Cruces seeds from a 2010 swap. I'll have to grow them out next year and make sure they are different than the ones I got from CPI.

o

Here are my Wenk's Yellow Hot (behind my dog, Uncle Jesse).
They are growing almost exactly like the "Las Cruces" pepper from last year. I didn't start any Las Cruces seeds this year but I sent plenty out, still waiting to get some feedback on those seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot pepper gardening, tips, and recipes

o

Hey Peppermeister!

Very cool on those las cruces chiles, I haven't grown them, but I did eat a good amount of them in las cruces, NM. I remember one place in particular that had a picture just like yours, where they used to make their green(ish) sauce for new mexico style enchiladas (open faced?) that were some of the best i've ever had. The lady said they'd roast some, then blend them up with spices, and fresh ones.

On a second note, I like your pepper gardening assistant. He reminds me of my assistant, Cho.
DSC06719

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here