Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long do peppers keep in fridge?

Posted by djcorrosive Z9/FL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 8:25

I know there are multiple ways to store chiles long term (freeze, dehydrate, etc.), but I was curious how long I can expect them to last in the refridgerator. I just ordered some exotic, hard-to-find fresh chiles online and I will shortly have about 3 pints of peppers. I would like to enjoy them fresh, if at all possible. so I figured the refridgerator was my best bet. It's very humid here in FL this time of year, so I only get 2-3 days leaving them on the counter until they go south. Anyone have any tips or tricks on extending the life of chiles in the fridge (Certain type of storage device, bags, tupperware, etc., should it be airtight or able to breath, stored in crisper or top shelf?)? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long do peppers keep in fridge?

I'm certainly no expert, but this works pretty well for me. I wash the peppers well, wrap them in a paper towel and place them in a ziplock bag. I squeeze most of the air out, but not vacuum packed. I then place the bag in the crisper drawer of my fridge. They are crisp and fresh for several weeks. I'm trying to remember exactly how long they keep that way (its been a long time since I let any go bad). I want to say they'll stay crisp for about 3-4 weeks.

Chris

o

Thanks...I'll give it a try and report back!

o

Hello,
Posted 2007, huh? I hope you get this, or anyone. About a week and a 1/2 ago, I individually picked 1 red, 1 green, and 1 yellow pepper from a local fresh grocery store in South Cali (LA). I've had them in the fridge in the original plastic bag for about 1.5 weeks. I've been out of town. Today, I took 'em out, threw a quarter sized of ev olive oil on a pan with black pepper, and cooked them covered. They smelled fine and felt fine. I often just cook peppers slighty but not too much. I hope to get some nutrition out of them. I guess one of them had bulbs growing on the stem, but eh. I didn't eat that part.
I finished all three tonight and so far, I'm still typing and breathing. I wanted to thank you. I didn't have to get rid of them. Have a good one...J http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vzG25xQApo

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacob

o

What you want to do is kill off any mold spores on the surface of the chile. then keep it dry in the refrig. You might try a dip in some hydrogen peroxide to kill the mold spores.

Of course a simple water wash will help wash some off. Serenade is an organic that is used in the garden for mold. But wash it off before eating. it is not poisonous but might leave a haze if you use the powder form.

Commercial operations use a form of hydrogen peroxide like Zero Tolerance or a grapefruit seed extract that is expensive to purchase. Both of these are considered safe for food.

You can research this problem on lettuce that is prepackaged after getting ready for a salad. The bags of lettuce. they have to go through this process to extend shelf life.

If I were to try this experiment I would dip in HP for maybe a minute and wash off with water and dry and store in refrig. individually wrapped peppers would keep mold from spreading and would extend the life. The other way to try is to dip in HP then dry. Wash before eating with some water.

Once mold is growing you have a problem. mold spores are oxidized by the HP but mold itself is very difficult to kill. Think of the mold as the mushroom. you kill a spore. but you do not wash away a mushroom and its roots running deep in the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here