Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

Rain galore...healthy plants.

peppernovice
10 years ago

Am I the only one who has noticed that despite the fact we have had one of the wettest summers on record, their plants look great? I was under the impression that this year was going to be a wash. I didn't think my plants would be able to handle the amount of rain we have received. It appears to be the opposite. My potted plants and my in ground plants are all doing great with high yields. Do you guys think it's possible we need to rethink our view on pepper plants and how much water they require? I would love to hear opinions from the more experienced growers. I know you guys have been around a while and probably have seen wet and dry seasons. I'm still new with only a couple years experience. I could be completely wrong, but I think it's worth discussing.

Tim

Comments (6)

• leafericson
    10 years ago

Tim, where are you located? I'm in Northern New Jersey. We have seen a lot of rain this year. Pepper plants are doing very well but tomatoes, melons, squash and cucumbers all have bacterial spot badly. I have removed all the cucumber, melon and squash plants with no harvest for this year. Tomatoes are producing well but they look very bad with all the bacterial spot.
    But like you said, the pepper plants seem to love this. Although it may be b/c I have used a better more well drained soil mix for them.
    -Eric-

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm also on the East Coast. I'm in North Carolina.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Possible. we had an extremely wet June. I did not water for over a month and I am using 5-1-1. July has been just the opposite and I have been watering since then at least twice a week and usually every two days. Our heat has been slightly below normal although we have had a lot of sun since early July. My plants struggled early this year both before and for a while after getting them outside. But they took off and are doing great now. Going back through my grow blog, it seems they turned around after the rain let up and they dried out. I figured I would have been in trouble during June had I not had them in a fast draining 5-1-1. I think plants, especially more mature plants are pretty tolerant to overwatering. It is the seedlings and immature plants that seem to be most susceptible. But I do think that sun, 80 degrees and light winds is the best with a more sparing water schedule.
    Bruce

• lexxluthor
    10 years ago

Not a good year in for my tomato's and peppers in the garden for me. Lost a good 50 plants this year. My Earth Box's did well but planted a lot later than usual due to raining and cold nights.

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that Lex. 50 plants is a big loss.

Tim

• sjetski
    10 years ago

The plants are looking great now finally, moderate rain and temps do work their miracles. But as most other posters in this thread, i am behind this year a good 2-4 weeks, and will essentially be missing one crop because of it.

2011, 2012, 2013 were tougher gardening years, with 2012 being the least of the three, especially for those in Northern and Eastern parts of north america. But I do realize that the deep south and southwest have had their climate issues to deal with as well.

I'll just deal with it by putting my pickling and vacuum sealing + freezing into overdrive at the end of the season.

Wishing everyone luck with the rest of their season,

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 12:36

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations