Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I may have lost my battle with aphids.

Posted by MVR2014 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 8:34

I don't have a MAJOR aphid infestation--but I do have my fair share of the buggers on my habaneros. I've tried spraying them with dishwashing liquid+water. I've tried blasting them with a hose. I've tried neem. I've even tried that Summit organic ready-to-use insect remover spray.

Right now I dedicate about an hour a day (on weekends, anyway) to pick them off by hand. It gets tiring.

Please tell me I am not alone in my frustration over aphids!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I may have lost my battle with aphids.

You try blasting them with hose ?
I would use spray bottle in jet mode or my garden sprayer. While I am at it I would use dilute neem oil solution, instead of water. I have done it before on my eggplants. It will take a while.

o

Have you tried the dustbuster method?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search

o

This is my two week method, identify aphids, they mostly start on those low leaves and work their way up, I turn over the leaf and use my thumb and smash them all over the underside of the leaf and leave the crushed up aphids on the leaves and inspect the rest of the leaves, repeat every few days and they are gone. I think the aphid guts deter them from returning, has work for me many seasons. However this has worked for me because I have not grown more than 11 plants at one time through to maturity. I would employ the neem oil if I had more plants to control.

When you spray do you concentrate on the underside of the leaves?

o

buy two 1000 packs of ladybugs. they will annihilate the aphids with extreme prejudice, then move on. it works.

o

Have you tried a light insecticide? I had the same problem and was fighting with water/spray bottle for weeks... no luck.

Then I gave a light spray of a light insecticide only once or twice and they were gone. I used Permethrin 1%

o

I have never won a fight with them, and I have tried everything, even lady bugs. if they stay around long enough they will do damage, but once I bag flowers for collection the aphids go crazy. Did you know that aphids are born pregnant?

One thing though, you can not use dishwashing liquid, you have to use soap, not detergent. They are not the same thing.
Pam

o

I had them bad two years in a row. I ended up totally getting rid of them by using a rubbing alcohol and water mixture. 20% alcohol to 80% water worked good enough for me, but if you really want to make sure, just use more alcohol than that. You can use pure alcohol if you wanted and I don't think it should hurt the plant, it just costs a lot more. Anyone who has collected insects knows that just about any insect, no matter how large, is going to die if it is swimming in alcohol. Using it in a small sprayer a couple of times in one week will make a huge difference. Them just use it when you see an outbreak.

o

Best stuff. Kills everything w/ NO damage to plants.

o

i am also losing the aphid war. used detergent dish soap with oil almost killed my pepper plants. i now have a long container with about 10 plants and of these only 3 have 2 or 3 peppers the rest were all dropped when the leaves turned black. i was thinking of pulling the plants but am using them as a lab to fight aphids. they have spread all over. i dont think i have a single plant without aphids. i started some fire chilis to winter in the house. forget it with aphids. aki

o

"One thing though, you can not use dishwashing liquid, you have to use soap, not detergent. They are not the same thing.
Pam"

I'm glad you wrote that. I was about to mix up a batch of pure neem (diluted with water) and DW soap. What sort of soap then? Shavings off a bar of Ivory? Liquid shower soap?

o

I live in the Philippines, and can't find a supplier of ladybugs here. Shame, I really wanted to try that method!

o

You can use Ivory dish soap it’s a white liquid and is not a detergent. I mixed some of that with some alcohol, water, and a couple of cloves of garlic for good measure. I did not have an aphid problem, but I wanted to overwinter my plants without bugs. I sprayed down the plant real good let it dry out and repeated. I never saw a bug and neither did my wife and trust me she was looking real close.

o

Is there anything Ivory Liquid can't do? Welders use it to check for leaks in their hoses since it contains no potential explosive causing oils.

Thanks Scott. PS I was hoping you would re-post that recipe. I plan on using it this fall.

o

I only have 14 plants but second the squishing method. seems to work and draws ladybugs. An occasional spray of Neem oil helps as well.

Alison

o

i use acclaim antibacterial soap. try it, you will be amazed how fast it kills aphids. its a terrible hand soap cintas supplys at work. drys your hands like crazy. but it kills aphids faster than anything i have tried.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here