Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

o
Carolina Reaper

Posted by Lorabell 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 8:50

Would like to share a link. I just ordered the Carolina Reaper seeds from Pepper Joes. http://www.pepperjoe.com/shoppingcart/html/pepper.html
The press release for them will be on Monday the 27th and he is offering Free Shipping on orders placed before this Sunday at Midnight.

I personally LOVE the name, especially being from N Carolina and dabbling in Hot Jams and such. I've already made some 'Naga' Jam and I think Carolina Reaper Jam would just be COOL to have!

Have I thanked you guys lately for this new hobby of mine!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carolina Reaper

For those wondering, the Carolina Reaper is the official name for the "much/over" hyped and HP22B.

o

Bill....Do you know which strain they are using for the "Carolina Reaper"? I've seen Ted Barrus sample all the way through strain F. I know he said there are subtle differences between the strains. I believe G was one of the hottest, but I think F had the best flavor.

Tim

o

I don't know. Didn't know there was strains.

o

Look up Ted Barrus on You Tube. He's also known as FBI(fire breathing idiot). It seems the original grower sends him various strains to test. He samples them, then gives his take on it. I find him quite comical. I'm not sure if that's what he's going for, but I think he's funny. Very "over the top" dramatic. Makes me laugh. There is a possibility that Carolina Reaper is totally separate from the HP22b strains, it seems they are interchangeable, but I may be confused.

Tim

o

Tim, they are one in the same. "Carolina Reaper" is a nickname for HP22B, which I think sounds just as cool. But since "Smokin' Ed" (the grower) and "Pepper Joe" (The partner/hype man) are both based in the Carolinas, I guess they wanted to put their stamp on it. Also "Don't Fear the Reaper" Tshirts shouldn't be far behind.
The official Press Release about the pepper's world's hottest status is supposed to occur on Monday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy Carolina Reaper Seeds Article

o

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is this pepper stable? As in, has it gone through all 8-12 generations to weed out the instabilities and produce a pepper that will grow true under all conditions?

2) Has this pepper been properly tested by non-biased sources using samples from multiple plants over multiple generations?

If either of those gets answered with a "no", then I would greatly doubt the integrity of anyone that would be willing to sell them.

After all, if they aren't proven stable, then there is no guarantee of what your seed will grow into, even if it came from the original tested plant itself. And if it hasn't been tested over multiple samples from multiple generations of plants, then its entirely possible the one or two pods that got tested were just complete and unreproducible flukes.

If they have been proven stable and reliable, then awesome, I'll be happy to grow some. Just as soon as I can get some from someone besides PepperJoe.

o

Here is a link that i don't think is worth reading Ed(beacause it it too long and redundant) but it will answer some of your questions.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33289-hp22b/page__st__260#entry691220

o

More hype, more bad chile taxonomy, more unhappy customers.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 12:42

Yah, seems like any outfit can say they tested a pepper and declare it the Hottest. There doesn't seem to be one overall sanctioning body. In fact, the SHU that they claim are significantly lower than other claimed "hottest" pepper levels.
Bruce

o

But,But But,a vendor says they'll blow the doors off anything out there....
Gotta be true....It's on the internet...

o

I Soon will be holding the Record Hot pepper as my gardens are nearing Harvest (smile) already have hundreds of people running for the hills and taking Cover HEHE ...

o

My Spidey sense starts to tingle when pre-launch marketing and hype kicks in (regardless of product).

In my personal and professional life I never buy version 1 of anything. I'll trust average Joe and qualified 3rd party reviews, not a marketing campaign.

Remember the pre-launch hype for Microsoft Vista or the Segway.

o

Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 15:42

I was just thinking. If people planted them today, they probably wont get viable seeds until next spring. Probably too late for any growers up north.
Bruce

o

Oh I know, I waited until the 3gs to get an iphone. I do plan on breaking that habit with Google Glass though. I want in on the ground floor for that baby so I can start programming for it (I'm just way too cheap to shell out the $1500 for the programmer's prototype right now though).

I did read through chunks of that thread though, and someone did say they had heard it was 8th generation, so thats good. At least we know its stable.

o

Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 16:20

Yes, there is info and a video on Pepper Joe's site and it did mention it has been grown out for 8 generations now. Aside from the obvious heat aspect, I think the pod looks pretty cool.
Bruce

o

Some fella claims it's no different than his 7-Pot Primo...

I have no idea.

Josh

o

The next hype is on me, folks! 2014-2015 be on the lookout the habjolokia pepper will arrive hahaha!

Mark

o

There's definitely hype, but I would be surprised if Ed Curry and PJ would be willing to put their reps on the line if they weren't pretty darn sure this is the next record holder. As for Primo, I sent him some reaper seeds last week so he can grow and compare. I hope he will keep me updated with his findings.

o

any of the top 3 main super hots can compete for the record holder for the next many years to come the pod i seen in the video looked like a TS to me... it all depends on the temps location how much stress is put to a plant along with a few other things when i ship in some of my pods to be tested i will have to send along a Fire Retardant Suit & Extinguisher ..(smile)

o

If this is a new true strain there will be others holding seed stock well before 6 months time... all depends on the grower .

o

Hab, only if I don't beat you to the market with Frankenpeppers!

o

OK, I know I can trust you folks won't rat me out... just between us... I'm going to get myself some 3 million SHU capsaicin extract and a hypodermic syringe. I figure if, like I've read, Guinness will award the record based on testing of one pod then I'll salt a Bell pepper and send it to a lab. They'll never notice a small puncture through the stem area. Inject extract, wait a day or two, suck it out and send it in.
I'm gonna call it the Ottawa Obliterater, sell 10k worth of seed and run like hell

o

to funny Ottawa ....hehe

o

LOL Bill you are insane! Edy frankenpepper you may beat me to the punch as you are 1/2 way there with the bizzare size hybrid ya got.

Mark

o

LOVE it Bill! I'm not as crazy as you guys, I just want to develop a chocolate peter and I'll be happy.

o

I'm sorry, I have to ask.

Will it be larger than the normal ones?

o

BWAHAHAHAHA! YOU ARE SO BAD!!!!!! If I go with a Pasilla Bajio, they just might be! hmmm, I'll have to think on this.

o

Yeah I definitely think the Guinness book of world records needs to make it on average or at least make another category..

that being said yeah I think its all hype just read through that thread, its all "we" tested no factually or scientifically third party data on the peppers just a claim but once its out to the general public more data will come

o

Too funny... check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Next hottest

o

Please tell me this is a fake website that one of you guys put up!

Tim

o

you guys are all over looking the obvious, maybe he has too much naga seed again. Lol

o

Tim, I have not idea as to fake or not. Someone on the other forum thread (listed above) posted the link.

o

It has to be a fake. I looked it up, the only other place on the internet where that company name is mentioned is an original post on 4chan.

o

Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 17:11

It is fake. It is a BLOG. Just look at the web address for the site. Kinda funny though.

But back to the topic. The "Carolina Reaper" is simply another in the long list of Super Hots that claim to be the hottest in the world. The Ghost (Bhut Jolokia) pepper drew some credibility as the worlds hottest pepper when the Guinness book of world records got behind the claim. Since then, various testing sites and methods have been used on all the following worlds hottest claims. Until one sanctioning body is established to regulate, test and authenticate these claims, everyone is going to claim "their" test and testing procedures to be accurate. Some will test pod after pod until they finally get a pod to test what they want and then declare the whole strain is that hot. Who knows how the tests are actually performed and under what conditions. It is like rain fall. Ten people in a single small town may go out and read their rain gauge and declare last night's rain fall any whwere from .5 inches to 1.0 inches. It might be inaccurate rain guages. It might be incorrect placement of the gauges, it might be simply differing amounts over a small area. It could just be some guy looking at puddles on the driveway and assuming we got an inch last night. In fact, the only real measurement that really counts is the one by the National Weather Service or NAOA or whatever organization is in charge. The Pepper world needs that kind of organization....Maybe the New Mexico State University Chile Pepper Institute, or Maybe Guinness. But some credible organization needs to be established.

Some people say "Does it really matter when you are over 1 million SHU's". When people are buying their seeds for a buck or more each and they currently hold a monopoly on the seed, then, YES, it does matter.

Bruce

o

Well said, Bruce!
Captures my thoughts precisely.

Josh

o

has anyone dealt with puckerbutt before? I won't buy from Joe

o

The whole thing is selling a pepper, that resembles a primo, with Pepperjoe spouting a bunch of noise, with no official numbers.

Pepperjoe pmed me on another board claiming he had sold "tens of thousand packs of seeds", he claims that publicity, good or bad, as long as it produces hits on google, which he said pushes sales is making him rich.

His words not mine......

Did not sound too concerned about the pepper or his customers, just mentioned "riches"

Draw your own conclusion.....

o

I just got my Carolina Reaper seeds in the mail today from Puckerbutt. It was an inpulse buy. I'm going to start germinating this week. No one really knows what they've got untill it bares the fruit. Time will tell.

o

scorpion_john,

puckerbutt is Ed Currie's company. I only know him by reputation, he seems to be a real stand up guy and respected amongst a lot of long time growers.

I'm on the fence with respect to this "new record hottest", time will tell. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate buying seed from Mr. Currie because he seems to be a true enthusiast.

Like I said earlier, I never buy version 1.

o

Hey, I just posted the free postage available link because there are a few of us (like me) who appreciated the jester. As I have bought pepper seeds from numerous vendors this month including Peppergal, Marriannas, Baker Creek to name a few, none have given me a break on postage! Good business practice in my book. I also have greatly appreciated those of you who have given me links to various vendors so thought I would do the same.

Now for the comments. Here are mine.

I personally don't think most of you should grow this pepper. Ever.

1. If you do order seeds, more than likely they will be lost in the mail. Of the 1000 packages or more sent out, it will be yours that this will happen to. Just you.

2. If you do receive the seeds, it will be yours that won't germinate. Of the 10 seeds you plant, maybe 3 will grow and they will be sad, sad plants.

3. If any of those 3 actually make it to the containers, they will be the only peppers in your garden that will be
infected with insects and prone to all pepper blights. In fact, those 2 plants, (another just died) will be the cause of all the other peppers you own getting sick and die a horrible, horrible death.

4. If, by chance, a sole surviver actually produces fruit, it will be a basic bell with no heat. Nothing more. Everyone else of the 1000 customers who purchased them will have a decent product, but no, not you. Damn that man for intentionally doing this to you, just you. The heathen.

So just don't do it... Got it already. Some of you have some 'heartburn' with this guy. I read about it on every other post. Just get a room I say.

It's a plant. A package of seeds are 10 bucks and my package had 20 seeds in it,. If you end up not liking it, never plant it again. Drink water, press on, life continues, and try(or not try) something else next year.

Here I thought that they would be a good trading seed for me with those of you who have all these seeds I want, can't find them to order, and I have nothing currently that ya'll would be interested in trading. You boys are killing me.

o

Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 0:54

Dang, I been tryin' to stay out of this. But the thing with ordering from retailers is that when you do, and you pay as much as a dollar a seed, you damn well expect to get what you asked for. If people didn't care about purity of the seed, they could simply throw a post up on this forum and likely get more than one offer to send seeds for the cost of a stamp or less. Between Smokemaster and the rest on this list, the pepper variety inventory is probably ten times what any one retailer stocks. And most on this list send out many packs of seed every year...for free. Of course people don't expect 100% purity and they don't expect that an errant seed could get mixed into a stash or a stash might get mislabeled. But when we order from these guys that earn tens of thousands of dollars or more a year selling seeds, we expect professional service and a sound and accurate product. That is why we turn to them. So we don't have to worry about seed from a plant in a 10x10 garden with ten different varieties of peppers all growing together. And we figure since they do this for a living they are very careful to prevent mixed seed and they are very careful to ensure correct labeling.

Otherwise, just ask, and I can send you a packet of seed labeled what ever you like. Heck, I will even write on the packet that they are 2,000,000 Scoville. Oh, Free shipping, just give me the address. I might even send you an extra free packet of Ghostanerobell seeds which might contain some cucumber seeds.

I have ordered from one online retailer in my life. I got two packets correctly labeled and two that were not. I won't say who that retailer was. Since then, I have harvested my own seed, bought Burpee or other B&M store seed or obtained seed from the fine folks here on GW. I have had only one plant not grow true, and I knew the very real possibility of that when I got the seeds. At least it was a cross and not a completely different variety.

And as far as the Carolina Reaper seed goes, I dont really care if it is 800,000 Scoville or 1,800,000 Scoville. The heat in that range is indiscernible to me anyway. But I do think it is pretty cool looking pepper. It makes me wonder why they are releasing the seed now, before they have some kind of official word on it being the hottest. It seems to me their are worried someone else has the seed already and my release it before them or they are worried it may not officially qualify as the "hottest" and make is much less valuable. Why the rush? If it never gets the "hottest" ranking, it will not be good for a sellers reputation when they have been making the "Worlds Hottest" claim in advertising it. Says who? The same guy who screwed up my pepper seed order two years ago?

If you read this entire post after reading the rest of the posts in this thread, then I think you should shut off your computer and go do something much more productive, such as inspect your pepper plants for the sixth time today.

Bruce

o

ERrrr I wrote (and meant) that post to be funny as hell.

Apparently disregard it.

Sorry.

And no thanks.

Later.

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 3:25

I've been looking for Ghostanerobell seeds since 1996. Don't tease me. I know where you live cheesehead.

o

I've never had a problem with the advertised heat or whatever.
Sales tactics etc. suck in my opinion.
Pm threats etc. are uncalled for.

o

I see this post has grown a lot in the last 48 hrs .....still trying to take it all in ....

o

Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 11:07

Lorabell, I enjoyed your post and my post was not intended to diminish yours in any way. Mine directly following yours was not intentional. I was just kind of jumping in on the anti-online retailer course this thread had taken.
Sorry,
Bruce

o

I held on to my pm's from MrJOE, just to remind what kind of person I am dealing with.

o

@Lorabell....I appreciate your humor. I giggled(yes I said giggled) more than once while reading it. I don't think anyone is really upset or offended. Everyone has a bad day, and sometimes we misdirect our anger before we realize it. This is a great forum, and for the most part, everyone speaks their mind freely. Please don't take offense and stop posting. We all still love you! :)

Tim

o

But you are growing some, right armac?

o

Nope, but one of my buddies sent me some seeds.

Got them today, thanks for asking.

o

Well if your not going to grow them, you can send them
to me.

o

Very Big Pepper Corp. of America

*golf clap* *thumbs up*

lulz.

I look forward to spending $5-$10 on 5 seeds very soon.

o

I don't know Pepper Joe. I've never purchased anything from him. I have no experience with his customer support. I don't know if he's a legitimate businessman, or a con artist. I do know however that this thread is going nowhere. It's spreading like a disease and creating a tone that is harmful to gardenweb and it's members. Please take Pepper Joe's advice and contact him if you have an issue. He has promised to resolve it. If you don't contact him he can't resolve it. That's your fault. If you contact him and he doesn't fix it, that's his fault. I do believe that it would be hard for a businessman to continue to operate if he continually made mistakes or intentional false claims. Consider this thread as "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware) as Calcat36 stated. Calcat36 is a good man and I trust his judgement, but I do know mistakes happen. If you have money to spare, try Pepper Joe and make your own judgement. If you do not have money to spare, ask the good members of this site. You will get seed. It may be OP(open pollinated) seed, but it will be true seed.
Regardless of your decision, please try to refrain from furthering a thread like this. It will be harmful to this site and it's members. Let's keep this place fun and informative. If I can do anything to help you, e-mail me. I will send anything I have to anybody that is a legitimate enthusiast. I will not send to someone who wants to make a splash posting videos on a website. If you want seed, advice, or to let off steam because those darn aphids ran out of plants and ate your wooden leg.......We are here to listen and help!
I apologize. I'm off my soapbox now. Please continue your weekend.

Tim

o

I can vouch for the customer service aspect of Pepper Joe's business. I ordered some white habanero seeds a few years ago and I couldn't get any of them to germinate. I sent an e mail inquiring as to what I may have been doing wrong, and Joe's service rep answered immediately with some suggestions and then they went above and beyond and sent me a new pack of seeds for free.These seeds did germinate. Whether or not the first pack was bad doesn't matter to me because Joe did right by me. Joe will stand by his customers and if you have any issues he will take care of them.

o

This thread was dead for almost 2 weeks.

o

Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 3:13

Seems it has been reincarnated....or was.
Bruce

o

No proof yet from Guinness? Hmm. I found something interesting. "Currie said he has asked Guinness to expedite his world-record request. He said he has paid the firm about $4,000 to seek the record."

Much less than pepperjoe has claimed around the web. Expedite? Either Guinness is lying, or the other party is HIDING something. As a sole promoter, I would be terribly upset if Guinness stole $4K from my supplier and left me with zero results after so much hype on his behalf. I haven't seen that story yet.

Here is the link: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/08/25/3478893/is-locally-grown-carolina-reaper.html

Caveat Emptor.

o

Hi all. Found this thread and Thought I would chime in. My name is mike, owner of chiligrower.com as well as oldbarnnursery.com

I'll break this down into 3 parts.

1. Ed Currie is a very stand up guy. I know him personally and talk to him quite often. I am not here to sell his reaper seeds. I have no ties to him in terms of that. However, I will say I have eaten several strains and believe me when I say, they are noticably hotter than anything I have had and if you find me on youtube you will see that along with my wife, we have eaten pretty much every pepper known. Point is, the reaper is real and Ed Currie is a very nice and honest guy.

2. Pepper Joe is well known. Years ago I bought from Joe and I will have to say that in all honesty, his seeds had better germ rates and more trueness than anyone else I bought from at that time and that includes the "big" names.

3. The reaper. As I mentioned, it absolutely had the hottest burn we have had. We tried several strains and some were hotter than others. Ed has done a fantastic job at having these tested (years). I don't know the entire history behind this as he hasn't told me yet but until and unless he is disproved, I'd say at least at this point, he is on to something. I haven't grown the reapers yet but will be doing about 1,000 plants shortly so I can post results. I have heard so negative results in terms of germination and not being true but I can also say any super hot is harder to germinate and for a first time grower it may not go very well. For those that have got them to germinate and are saying they aren't growing true, I question this because outside of Joe, Ed, myself and a couple others, these seeds were not even available until about August so I am curious how they have peppers already (at least in the USA)...just curious.

o

Mike, It's nice to have your input on this topic. I have enjoyed your videos. Your wife, as well as your son, are definite troopers when it comes to testing the super hots. You never cease to amaze me at your ability to endure the pain of these unbelievably hot peppers. Thanks again for stopping in, I hope you make yourself comfortable and stay a while.

Tim

o

Anyone willing to pay $10 for 10 seeds of a pepper...have fun with that.

o

I debated chiming in, but after pondering it a while...

I think some of us who happen to be on THP and other pepper/growing/breeding sites are well aware of some of the controversy on this pepper.

Also, a disclaimer on the pepper "Pod shapes, color and size may vary" from one of the seed sellers raises some alarm bells.

Size? to an extent, yes...

Shape? yes, to an even tighter extent, but not massive variation in expected pod characteristics...

Color? no, not acceptable outside of chance mutation...

This pepper sounds a bit unstable based on the small amount of early info and it's concerning a few people. Maybe it's coincidence...time will tell.

Hey, I've released a pepper I've bred myself. I also knew what I was releasing wasn't stable yet (only in pod variation). I have another self-created pepper hybrid I'm trying to stabilize that needs work in a few areas.

At $10 for 10 seeds I would expect more stability (or at least faith in stability) in a pepper like this.

I'm not calling anyone's personal character into question, but this sounds like a rush job.

Long story short, we'll hear a lot more about this in another 6 months or so...at least more than we've already heard.

---

I'd like to edit and point out there seems to be a lot going on with this pepper (also to take out a bit of potential "flame" that might distract from points I'm trying to make).

I'm not even touching the points of contention others have with it...the claims and hype, whether it's truly the hottest, etc. I'm not interested in that aspect of it's supposed controversy.

What I'm really going on about is there seems to be a bit of unexpected variability already trickling in about this pepper based on early returns from people in controlled climate and warm-climate growing areas. Outside of what's been reported on the web, I have a friend growing this pepper in Hawaii who got seed from a friend in Cali (who got seed from a seemingly legit source, puckerbutt)...and he's getting red/mostly-smooth-pods with a severely sunken/recessed-in-pod "tail." I asked him about the heat, but given that he's not a super chili head who can't handle a bhutj (neither can I), he's in no position to make a review on that. He did say it was very hot, though.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 3:23

o

Thanks Tim. And to all, I guess my point is Ive only seen a few with actual peppers thus far. Yes I agree that a yellow one is REALLy off but perhaps it was a mixed seed or something..shouldn't happen but it does when dealing with thousands of seeds. I have zero stake in the carolina reaper. I have eaten them and have seeds from two strains of actual peppers I ate. I also have seeds directly from Ed so once I grow out I can have an actual opinion. I do know I have seen pics with HUGE amounts of reapers so they obviously exist and came from somewhere. Time will tell :)

Happy Growing and Happy New Years to all.

o
Carolina Reaper

Time will tell :)
One thing that particulary puzzles me about this deal is the apparent failure of PuckerButt Pepper Co to apply for a PVP on this cultivar. Lord knows a lot of other monetary and time resources were expended by the principals promoting this pep, let alone the resources and time required to develop it. Now if a PVP HAS in fact been applied for (on an educated assumption that such an application has a high probability of being granted), why has this this condition not been revealed heretofore ? Would, IMO, bolster initial enthusiasm for the pep. And in a business sense, if CR (ant its various incarnations) were granted a PVP, such a legal status would protect the intellectual property for a long time... which would translate into future income streams even though it could (and surely would) be legally (and some not legally)traded amongst hot pep enthusiasts.

Reggie

o

PVP is an extremely expensive process (though not as expensive as some other "patent" processes), both getting it and challenging violators in court. Most people getting involved in this process can point to very specific/unique genetic properties that they own or developed.

Chances are extremely high this pepper was developed via cross and careful selection of existing OP varieties.

They may be looking into it...or in the process of doing it...but it's a shell game with a limited life in this kind of market. The Red Savina (PVP) enjoyed a great run as the hottest pepper around (on paper...but that's another thread discussion), but now it's almost forgotten since the BhutJ made the scene.

With the increased focus on trying to claim the hottest pepper, the "game" is going to move much faster now. What's hottest this year might not even make people's top-3 grow lists a few years from now.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 19:23

o
Carolina Reaper

The Red Savina (PVP) enjoyed a great run as the hottest pepper around (on paper...but that's another thread discussion), but now it's almost forgotten since the BhutJ made the scene.
And GNS never made much money on it either partly because during its "reign" as "king" of hot peps, the frenzied chili-head community did not exist. Had little to do with competition from other hot peps. PVP application may be a bit pricey, but so is the putative time and money that Ed Currie put into developing and subsequently promoting the CR. Furthermore, ya do not need to continue to possess the moniker of world's hottest pep to make hay on the ultra's... most of the ultra vendors STILL get ~40 cents/seed for many of the Assam and Trini hots. If PuckerButt has its ducks in a row as far as sound and scientific documentation, a PVP would be a way to perpetuate the income stream... licensing other vendors to sell their seed regardless of its source. If PuckerButt (after ~6 seasons of development time on CR) does not have the documentation required for a PVP application, then I submit that they employed sloppy science or are pleading secrecy issues when secrecy no longer will matter, unless CR Strains B-x are effectively promoted.

Now with a PVP, if PuckerButt could skim even 3 cents/seed (on average) for a few seasons, it would represent revenue that they would not receive without a PVP. Moreover, a product tagged with a PVP will almost surely be perceived by some buyers as an indication of superior value or premium quality... really just advertizing.

Maybe the numbers do not justify applying for a PVP. However what is certain is that without it, the $1.00/seed party will last but one season cycle and PuckerButt will receive no royalties (if that is the proper term) from sales of CR seeds, pods, sauces, etc.

Reggie

o

In light of all this information, it brings to mind two scenarios.
1. The people involved with this pepper know it's not the hottest. They are merely trying to make as much money as possible before someone gets the proper documentation to expose it for what it is, just another pepper.
2. This pepper is in fact the hottest pepper, but the people involved have found out the "next big thing" in the pepper world is ready to make it's debut. They are trying to cash in on the CR before this is released, and the CR because just a memory, much like the red savina.
Obviously this is pure speculation. I have no "insider knowledge", and do not even have seeds in my possession.

Tim

o

I do not know about this Carolina Reaper but I know this thread is the HOTTEST now.

I read this thread yesterday and watched a couple of Youtube videos.

It is really interesting to read all these different opinions. I hope all these differences are for just to get the best of the best.

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 10:54

o

I'll believe the Reaper is the new king when I see one thing (and only one thing):

Independent verification from a neutral third party using an average from multiple pods grown from multiple different plants.

Without that, I consider any claims of it's heat to be misleading at best, and outright lying at worst.

I don't care if someone managed to grow one pod off of one plant that broke the record, thats a fluke. When they can show a fully stabilized strain that can reliably be proven to be record breaking in heat, then I will pay attention to it.

Even then I will wait until someone *OTHER* than Pepper Joe carries it. After personally witnessing his atrocious attitude, I will never buy from him again.

o

Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 21:03

I have said before that I wish there were some kind of independent sanctioning body that would assume the role of coming up with a standardized testing system and be responsible for testing and declaring the "true" heat of each pepper variety. Until that happens, we will continue to have claims made from all over.

To most chili pepper lovers, true heat doesn't matter all that much but with the single unique feature of peppers being their heat, it stands to reason that the "hottest" will always be the defining attribute to garner the most attention. When $$$ is involved, the stakes are raised to be named the undisputed #1 hottest. It is like two football teams claiming to be the best. Until they match up face to face on the field, who really knows for sure.

The Carolina Reaper creators have created a big enough publicity campaign to win a lot of people over and will therefor sell a lot of seeds to those that jut got to have the latest, greatest and most importantly, the "Hottest". In the end, those that do grow them this year likely wont be able to tell if they are any hotter than the Ghost, Scorpions, Naga or other super hots. But until an independent sanctioning body emerges with a different claim, those growing the Reaper will be able to say they have the "hottest" pepper in the world growing in their back yard.

Bruce

o

Sanctioning body? I trust Guinness. So far, they claim that the World's Hottest Pepper is the Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T" and was verified in Australia by a recognized process. pj made claims of a "submission" that cost $40,000 USD to "fast track" and promised results months ago. He prides himself on the SELLING of the seeds as a "master salesman" for the money. I believe that Ed inked a deal with the devil. I have not posted here much since I was threatened by pj and my posts were removed as "personal attacks" which is the way old pj works. A salesman with a superior product does not have to work a day in his life. The product sells itself. So far, the product is severely faltering and pj is laying low. His out? He will blame ED when the SHTF to save HIS reputation!

It would be sad for Ed to lose his reputation over what others have described as a snake oil salesman. The parent plants are not named for "proprietary reasons" which is BS because it would take at least EIGHT generations to stabilize a cross as these peppers were supposedly grown out for. By that time, the Carolina Bleeper would be another pod of the past. As if there are no other crosses being created and in their f(whatever) stage RIGHT NOW.

There was no release of promised information either. Suddenly the info trail has gone dark and in the current pj catalog, he has disrespected Guinness and the creator of the CURRENT world record holder by putting ED's pepper at #1 WITHOUT SUBSTANTIATION, abusing the Guinness name for PERSONAL GAIN. That is misrepresentation and THEFT.

But he knows, there is one born every minute. My two cents? Don't be the one born in the next minute! After all, if you check out his 2013 catalog, you will see he didn't even spell Ed's last name correctly. Attention to detail or counting his cash in advance?

Lawyers, used car salesmen, and now, second hand pepper seed salesmen. Welcome to the circus.

o

I was beginning to wonder if you would ever find you way back here Calcat. Good to hear from you again!

Tim

o

Two guys have pods, Tex16 grew yellow pods and lock203 has smooth hab looking pods, locks are still green.

Just the facts.....

o

Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 20:53

I have some Reaper seeds from PJ. I didn't pay for them but I will grow out one, maybe two plants and see what happens. I will try to post back here but it won't be until mid summer that I have any pods to speak of.
Bruce

o

"Pepperjoe pmed me on another board claiming he had sold "tens of thousand packs of seeds", he claims that publicity, good or bad, as long as it produces hits on google, which he said pushes sales is making him rich."

First visit to this website (and last, judging from the douchebags on here), but I couldn't resist. I had to sign up and call this stupid hick out real quick.

Joe never sent you a pm that said that.
You see, I recently purchased a pack of said Carolina Reaper seeds from "Pepperjoe". I was doing some research on the intrawebs and found a chili-head board called "thehotpepper" with a thread about the Carolina Reaper. There was this guy "armac" who was on there blasting the Carolina Reaper and Pepper Joe. Pepper Joe has hated this liar since day one. So, why the hell would he pm this to some Natty Ice drinking trailer trash that slanders him on every message board, knowing full well that he would use it against him? Liar!
-Out

o

PepperJ's reputation dealing with people he doesn't consider a peer or considers "below him" speaks for itself, nor is it isolated in occurrence. I've seen it myself on the internet and I've heard it from some of my peers who have dealt with him in person. I personally don't care much because I don't rely on anything he offers personally, professionally, or as a hobbyist.

He may run a decent business as far as how he treats customers who pay him goes...but he's rubbed more than one person the wrong way over his many years.

He can be as abrasive as someone signing up to a site to call someone a stupid hick and tell someone they've never had a conversation exchange they should know absolutely nothing about...unless they're a person involved in the conversation.

Either way, this wouldn't be the first time PJ has had to deal with a non-fan of how he treats a community and others in it. You can call it "hate", but some of us don't need another person's rant to make up our minds about PJ independent of what anyone else may have to say about their communication exchanges with him.

Sometimes I think the hot pepper "scene" is a little too agro/testosterone "boys club" than it should be for a bunch of guys planting plants and selling seeds. The amount of money that's on the line the past 10 years has not helped the aggressive nature and defensive/pre-emptive nature of what used to be a rather friendly and cooperative community of breeders. At least the seed traders/givers are still out there behaving themselves like gentlemen without drawing up cliques.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 18:53

o
Carolina Reaper

So, why the hell would he pm this to some Natty Ice drinking trailer trash that slanders him on every message board, knowing full well that he would use it against him? Liar!
Hey tone down Pepper Joe. I recommend that we all should let the Reaper do the talkin' for now. Proof is in results, not banter.

Reggie

o

5 words--

LMFAO

Thank god for Al Gore giving us the internet and all the entertainment that comes along with it.

Kevin

o

Tim, thanks for the welcome back. I left this site because of pj and his bully tactics. For example, the Original Post here was done by a surrogate and is nothing more than an advertisement cleverly posted which is against the rules. Then there are defenders like johnp0311, (0311 is infantry in my world), who would call members here names in defense of pj. So there must be some quid pro quo involved there. Calling skeptics who do not agree with you, vile names, does NOTHING to promote the cause of the master snake oil salesman. In fact, it makes him (pj) and his failure to denounce such a "fanatic" of his for using such language, a complicit second party.

pj has many surrogates here and on other sites talking trash about the product believing it equals dollar signs while trying to bully any challengers into silence, mainly via a PM or an empty threat of a lawsuit. I have no "legal team" because I do not misrepresent myself or my products.

There has been ZERO factual evidence to disprove what armac posted and what armac claims. Instead, there was name calling and unsubstantiated hysterics by johnp0311. This user should be reported and removed from this site for personal attacks on other members. Armac has NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, taken this skirmish to a personal or name-calling level. He has stated FACT without emotion, which leads to HIS credibility.

There is a thread here which took about 90 posts before pj finally posted a gif that read "the customer is always right." pj and penny are two, two bit bullies, that many communities are starting to reject. They destroyed what little reputation they had for want of "riches." They steal images, rename plant varieties for personal gain, and never make apologies. The reap what they sow.

Stay away from these two devils.

o

Lorabell's a legit member, not a surrogate/mouthpiece as far as I know...highly doubt she is.

Btw, if threads like this get too "personal" or "attack" they tend to get deleted and any useful comments/criticism/points get lost to history.

o

Tim wrote:

In light of all this information, it brings to mind two scenarios.
1. The people involved with this pepper know it's not the hottest. They are merely trying to make as much money as possible before someone gets the proper documentation to expose it for what it is, just another pepper.
2. This pepper is in fact the hottest pepper, but the people involved have found out the "next big thing" in the pepper world is ready to make it's debut. They are trying to cash in on the CR before this is released, and the CR because just a memory, much like the red savina.
Obviously this is pure speculation. I have no "insider knowledge", and do not even have seeds in my possession.

Tim

_________

It hardly matters TOO much -- Even with all the publicity, the "ghost" has been "entrenched" as the world's #1 for such a long time on TV and the such that when talking to the average heat seeker(non-growers et al), they all have heard of the "ghost." The average hasn't even heard of a butch T or Naga or reaper -- But almost EVERYBODY has heard of the ghost.

So, new pepper enthusiasts will search for GHOST seeds or plants anyhow. Ghost sales will remain brisk -- a helluva lot more than any other superhot.

It certainly seems PepperJoe has opened up a can of worms though. On other threads, I've seen lists of sites to buy seeds from -- I don't ever see the name pepperjoe.com as a favorite. Instead of trying to getting business for having the "SO-CALLED" hottest, he might have just wanted to stick with the status quo and work on customer service and the like to keep the dollars flowing.

They say even bad publicity is good publicity -- I think that really only works with celebrities.

Kevin

P.S.

Tim, you finally going to change your username to something like PepperApprentice or something? :P

o

I meant no personal attack on lorabell at all. I have been around the web and the post fit the typical pepperjoe advertiser/customer profile nc-crn. So, the proper warning was caveat emptor regardless of the vehicle. The original post fits a pepperjoe advertisement/bot post too comfortably. I notice that you have not addressed the negative attitude, or the thread that I referenced either. They are pepperjoe's own words and actions in posterity.

When pepperjoe finds himself challenged, he does all he can to remove the post and/or ban/restrict the person telling the truth about him. You also failed to address that issue, giving credence to my original observations.

Pepperjoe has, and I will say this again, suddenly become very quiet in pepper circles, as has "penny" in tomato circles. They must be counting their riches at the price of posting information promised MONTHS ago...

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."
Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

o

I made my one lone, and hopefully last, PJ comment in my above post. I really don't feel like tangling with the guy based on how he;s treated others who he's perceived as crossing him. I don't have the patience for it or enough of a stake in the things he's interested in to get into it.

o

Btw, if threads like this get too "personal" or "attack" they tend to get deleted and any useful comments/criticism/points get lost to history.

In my experience, that is PJ's normal modis operendi. Find anywhere on the internet that isn't singing his praises, bait people into attacking him, then running to the mods so that they will close the thread down.

It seems to be fairly effective in silencing his critics.

o

For example, the Original Post here was done by a surrogate and is nothing more than an advertisement cleverly posted which is against the rules.

The funniest part of this is that I am being called cleaver!

Sorry, I am a legit member (and a pretty upset one at that)who doesn't know pepper Joe from Adam.

Lots of postings have already been deleted. (Really didn't like being called a troll on those long lost posts)
That comment above is what is wrong here, you can take speculations and write them as they are facts, without actually knowing the truth. That just doesn't make them right.

Could you all just start another thresd here, let this one die, and keep me out of it. Would appreciate it. Laura

o

Well, if we can gin up another 66 .. er .. 65 posts, the thread will self-lock due to the post limit.

o

I wonder what I'm going to get from my 5 reaper seedlings I have
going so far. I figure by June I will know. Luckily I didn't have to
pay for them.

o

Hey all,

First time in this part of the forums. Hand to god I'm not some sort of shill. I'm a high schooler who grows peppers.

As far as I'm concerned, the peppers are what matters. I never was one for the whole posturing that seems to go on around the hot peppers. I just want one that tastes good.

I found the thread looking for thoughts on the pepper. Maybe I'm in the wrong place.

Let's all just hold hands and get along! Kumbaya, my fellow growers!

Anybody tasted one? How was it? Forget the scoville rating, I want flavor information. Is it a good eat?

EDITED to be a bit more true to my feelings. I've had good dealings with Joe in my experience and, to me, my experience is what matters most.

This post was edited by technowizard12 on Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 4:56

o

Additionally, the scoville scale has an error margin of, depending on who you ask, around 200,000 units. The difference in heat between all the superhots is within the margin of error of the scale, which is based on human taste in the first place. Not everybody has the same number of receptors on their tongue for heat. Even if they fudged it and overplayed the heat, they still fall within the margin of error.

People are arguing to see who gets the most fortuitous result. It's food. People do not argue to see what the fishiest fish is. People discuss the various merits of the fish. Heat is just one merit of a hot pepper.

This post was edited by technowizard12 on Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 4:58

o

Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 11:55

I for one could never give you a good review on taste of the super hots because I cannot get past the heat. You ask me how a red hot piece of steel tastes and I will tell you "it tastes hot". Then, I have never even tried a Carolina Reaper but I have a couple seeds and will be growing them out this year just to see what the fuss is all about.

tchnowizard12: Don't take this thread as an indication of the rest of the Hot Pepper Forum here on GW. Very few have this level of animosity throughout them. It is a contentious topic and in particular this new Super Hot and it's promoters seem to be polarizing people do a degree not very often seen on this forum.

I think the best thing to do now is just let the people grow it out this year and by then we will get some good candid reviews of it plus we should see some specific developments in the "hottest pepper" circles. If it doesn't get some independent national attention by this summer, then it likely is just another also ran contender.
Bruce

o

Well said, Bruce.

Josh

o

I agree 100% with you Bruce. I am almost ashamed to say that I was a part of this thread. The whole reason I stick around this place, is because of how tolerant most people here are. You hardly ever see a thread go unanswered. When I first started posting here, I know I asked questions that had been answered hundreds of times. I never was made to feel un-welcomed, or like I was beneath another person. This is generally a laid back place full of people willing to help. I have been pleased with all the help I have received, including many people sending seeds to me.
I agree with Lorabell, we should let this post die, or maybe have a mod remove it. I fear that someone will google carolina reaper and stumble upon this thread. If this was my first experience with garden web, I'm not so sure I would be back!
It's a shame that someone, or something has come into our community and caused us to act this way. Let's get back to what we do best, growing peppers and helping others.

Tim

o

Here's to 58 er... 57 more to go ;-))

o

I'll join in! Here's to 57 er... 56 more to go!

o

When I first started posting here, I know I asked questions that had been answered hundreds of times. I never was made to feel un-welcomed, or like I was beneath another person.

In all fairness, when you came on the boards you did so in a polite, respectful manner and did not treat people as if you were stepping down from the high heavens into the cess pit to talk to them.

That can't be said of everyone that might happen to stop by once a year to cause a scene and then leave again.

o

hehe. feeling left out, for not posting in this thread since it started last year

54 more posts to go...

o

Ha chilemilio, I'll see your 54 and bid 53 more to go ;)

o

I raise to 52...

o

Ummm.............51

o

LOL Bill_Missy

o

Lets kill the thread......50 tag you're it

This post was edited by habjolokia on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 19:29

o

I heard this thread is going to be the new Guinness World Record holder for fastest thread being purposely put to rest.

o

Here's to Guinness... 48...

o

RIP Thread your post's are numbered....47

o

Requiescat in pace...

o

Good morning..... 45

o

Got to go I'll kill it on my way to work

o

Going going

o

I like peppers, I like peppers

o

Did I mention I like peppers

o

Bhut, habanero, galapagos, and more

o

Die thread, the end is near!

o

Taking public transportation can be nice! See what you can do by not driving, so much better than driving especially on this nice rainy day!

o

Taking public transportation can be nice! See what you can do by not driving, so much better than driving especially on this nice rainy day!

o

Knock knock, ........uhhhhh who's there?

o

I do sure hope I can kill the thread before my exit stop

o

I think Mark finally lost it. The pressure was too much for him to bear! :)

Tim

o

It's rainy with a chance of sleet, foggy, cold, 39 degrees

o

Don't hate me, we all want to see this thread no more

o

Cool help me Tim!!!

o

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

o

I wish I had a greenhouse, I wish I could move to an area where it's year round pepper growing season

o

I like being able to do this on my iPhone, it's cool now that they updated this site I can upload pics straight from the phone. The choose file works great!

o

Not to mention the ability to continuously post with out manipulating the thread by adding an additional character in the subject like a . or a ! No longer YAY

o

Well..............well, my, my

o

Looks like this threads gonna die

o

Whew this is not as easy as I thought

o

Rush hour on a bus helps

o

How many more?, how many more?

o

It's enough to drive a person crazy to try and end a thread quickly

o

Guinness here we come

o

Exhausting

o

Still plugging away

o

Projects, so many projects, oh wait I am not at work yet....ahhh, whew time to relax

o

I can't stop, I've gone too far!

o

Sorry checked another thread and email, I'm back

o

Ghost

o

My Hot Sauce

o

Pics are nice

o

Very nice

o

In about another mile or two I will be at my stop, I leave the thread killing in able hands. Thanks GW forum members!

o

Dang Mark, I can see your trail of smoke emanating from your fried circuits all the way over in Okla. I thought for sure you'd accomplished killing this thread.

o

Thank you guys!

o

I'm sorely tempted to wait for this to fill up and then go start a Carolina Reaper 2 thread with "Since the first one was so popular, I decided to open up a second one to continue the discussion!". ;)

o

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're gonna put Mark in the ER!

o

Mark your ghosts are shining and looked sweet :)
Caelian

o

Does poster # 150 get a prize!!!!!!!!????????

o

Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:34

OK, I am feeling left out. Here is my 2 cents.
Bruce

o

Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:35

You guys do realize that every time we post to this thread, it kicks it back to the top of the list????
Bruce

o

Once 150 hits this thread is dead and will no longer be at the top. Please don't send me to the ER PLEASE!!!

Lunch break!!

o

KILLED IT!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here