Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthworm pot surpassing expectations

Posted by SgtPepper none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 9:26

I put an earthworm into one of my pots. It is actually the smallest sized pot and I didn't expect much. So I put an earthworm in with it just for fun.

It has turned out that this small plant has 5 peppers underway and is still flowering prolifically. If my projections are correct this plant will easily get 10 more pods before the season winds down.

It is outperforming (for its size) against the other plants in larger pots. I am beginning to wonder if that earthworm is contributing in no small way to the outstanding production of this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthworm pot surpassing expectations

I don't know but it does sound interesting because on another post I read it said not to put worms in containers.

o

Searching the internet, I have found several talking about the benefits of introducing worms.

From what I have read, it is mostly all good. I wish I had thought of it sooner actually.

For one thing, worm excrement, better known as the worm's 'castings', adds natural nutrients into the soil.

There is a downside. Which could very well be the reason for advising against it. It is this: when worms run out of organic material to eat, they will go for the roots next apparently. This has to be corrected by adding decayed fruit and vegetables to the pot and then all 'might' be well. Worms tend to do what they want and not what you always hope they will do. Which leads to:

Another reason against it is that there is a risk the worms will reproduce too much and instead of a pepper farm, you'll have a fishing bait shop. Worms are difficult to cull. Once they are in, they are in.

On the whole, I think it is a simple and natural way to get nutrients into the soil. Not only that, they aerate the soil, eat any kind of root fungus and keep the soil in a condition beneficial to the plant. The positives out-weigh the risks in my opinion.

A lot people inadvertantly have earthworms in pots, overlooking them in the soil when they are replanting. If you use the soil from your outside garden to pot with, there is certainly every chance an earthworm might come along. They aren't always readily visible. Small earthworms can easy slip through a wide enough guage soil sieve if you taken the time to do even that.

o

well I will do try it in a few pots next year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here