Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andythehotpepperguy

Sauce suggestions

Hi All,

I'm looking to make a good all purpose hot sauce. I'm not looking for "scraping the skin out of my mouth" hot, but a good everyday hot sauce to add to random foods. I have plenty of Jalapeno, Serrano, and Hungarian Wax peppers ready. My Habs are not ready and they are all pretty much spoken for already, so they're out. I also don't want anything tomato based, no sugar/carbs. I'm thinking of maybe a vinegr-based.

Anybody have any ideas/recipes?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• pepper_d0g
    14 years ago

Here is one of the best simple hot sauce recipes I have come across that meets your criteria (courtesy of Emeril). You can adjust the heat by the number and type of peppers you add. Ken

Ingredients

* 20 tabasco or serrano chiles, stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices, or 12 very ripe red jalapenos (about 10 ounces)
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    * 3/4 cup thinly sliced onions
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    * 2 cups water
    * 1 cup distilled white vinegar

Directions

Combine the peppers, garlic, onions, salt and oil in a non-reactive saucepan over high heat. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the water and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until peppers are very soft and almost all of the liquid has evaporated. (Note: this should be done in a very well-ventilated area!) Remove from the heat and allow to steep until mixture comes to room temperature. In a food processor, puree the mixture for 15 seconds, or until smooth. With the food processor running, add the vinegar through the feed tube in a steady stream.

Taste and season with more salt, if necessary. (This will depend on the heat level of the peppers you use as well as the brand of vinegar used.) Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and then transfer to a sterilized pint jar or bottle and secure with an airtight lid. Refrigerate. Let age at least 2 weeks before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

• the_pepper_guy
    14 years ago

Sounds like a tasty recipe!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

• andythehotpepperguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks pepper dog!

I just finished making this recipe. It hasn't aged yet, but I just tasted it for dexterity. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Andy

• pokerpete
    14 years ago

the seeds are to be removed from the chiles in this sauce as well, correct? i am looking to make a sauce as well and i am guessing this will work for cayennes i hope.

• pepper_d0g
    14 years ago

Andy, you are welcome! I have made this sauce several times with different peppers and I have been happy each time. This really is a great recipe for a simple red hot sauce.

Pete, removing the seeds is up to you. It is a good way of adjusting the heat of the sauce. Most of them get ground up in the processor anyway and any big pieces are stained out.

I have another good recipe for a sweet hot sauce. Let me know if you are interested.

• pokerpete
    14 years ago

thanks pepper dog, i would be interested in the sweet sauce as well as the wifey isnt a big fan of the heat that i like.

• pepper_d0g
    14 years ago

We use this sauce almost everyday. It is great on burgers and steak. We even use it on eggs. It's been a real crowd pleaser. I make it with habaneros but I imagine serranos and jalapenos (and others) would be great too. Best of all... no cooking required! Enjoy.

INGREDIENTS

* 12 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
    * 1 (15.5 ounce) can sliced peaches in heavy syrup
    * 1/2 cup dark molasses
    * 1/3 cup yellow mustard
    * 1/2 cup light brown sugar
    * 1 cup distilled white vinegar
    * 2 tablespoons salt
    * 2 tablespoons paprika
    * 1 tablespoon black pepper
    * 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

DIRECTIONS

1. Place the peppers, peaches, molasses, mustard, brown sugar, and vinegar into the container of a food processor or blender. Measure in the salt, paprika, pepper, cumin, coriander, ginger and allspice. Blend until liquefied. Pour into clean jars, and refrigerate overnight before using.
  • andythehotpepperguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FYI, I used Serrano Peppers and left the seeds in. The heat and flavor are perfect. Now, if I can just let it age for two weeks without eating it! Something tells me I will need to make another batch and have it ready when the first batch is done!

Thanks again!

Sponsored