Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Flowers Vs. Pods

Bill_Missy
10 years ago

Hello all,

Dumb question here. But when does a pepper flower start to turn into a pod? I have a couple plants that have 100+ flowers on them and only 1 or 2 pods. Do the pods set when the flowers just start to open or after the flower is fully open?

I am thinking that they set when the flower is just starting to open or maybe sooner. If that is the case, is it then safe to say once a flower is fully open (It's peddles spread wide open) that it will not produce a pod and you could cut it off so that the plant can send it's energy and nutrients to the "closed" flowers.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Comments (6)

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

If they don't set fruit they will drop on there own. I find this usually happens when the flowers start to fade.I can only see any advantage to cutting flowers would be when nights get to cold to set fruit anyway.I don't even top my plants.Pull them up right before the first frost a don't let them freeze some will still ripen up

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Very interesting subject and tip of cutting flowers.

Some of the flowers have pods and some of them are not but I think they are forming gradually. I never thought of cutting flowers before. Most of my pods are getting ripe and still have small branches with flowers and flowers buds. The night time is also getting cold day by day. So I am thinking to use the tips of removing flowers and small branches.

I got a very good tip today, thank you Bill and Pepperdave, both of you added some useful tips to our forum.

Caelian

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Well, its like human embryo. It starts when a sperm enter an ovule . The growth will take place slowly at first and might be dormant for a while (like in birds' eggs). The fruit is nothing but a pregnant girl.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

A lot (not all) peppers self-pollinate themselves shortly after opening or while they're opening unless it's very humid/wet and the pollen is sticky.

Some people, myself included, like to give plants with open flowers a gentle shake (not hard, that can dislodge some peppers) to help things along.

• don555
    10 years ago

Flowers begin to turn into pods when the pollen from the anthers gets transferred to the pistils. The pistil is dead-centre of the flower, the anthers are the pollen sacs on the end of the stamens, and usually form a ring around the pistil.

Pollination can happen by insects transferring the pollen, by shaking the plants (as mentioned above), by wind jostling the flowers, rain, etc. If your plants aren't setting peppers very well, then a good though tedious method is to use a Q-tip or small paint brush, etc., to brush pollen off the anther and transfer it to the pistils.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

how do you know if a pod is set, until the flower petals fall off and a pod starts growing? I go out and look at my plants a few times a day, and I've never seen anything remotely like pepperdave's picture. for me, the petal falls off, and the stem remains, and then the next day either the flower stem falls off too, or a pod sets.

Sponsored