Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

looking for a seasoning pepper

hookilau
11 years ago

I'm looking for a pepper that smells hot & gets your mouth watering in preparation for heat but is not. Used for seasoning meats & such.

My mom & aunties call it pimento. I haven't had any for cooking in a couple of years & have been looking for it ever since.

It was large, about the size of a med. sized egg, red, almost pumpkin shaped & froze VERY well, the same way hot peppers do. I've been able to locate different seasoning peppers but NONE keep very well. They only keep in the fridge for a couple of days & not at all in the freezer or green seasoning.

I see that peppers seem to be ever evolving & was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I know it's not Tobago seasoning or Trinidad beans. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

Antoinette

Comments (7)

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Apologies if I read that wrong, but the pimento is an actual pepper that fits your description. Its used in a wide range of dishes, and when powdered is the pepper most commonly used for making paprika.

And for the record, your peppers will keep better sitting out on the table than they will in the fridge. Most refrigerators will dry peppers out and make them wilt. Sitting on your counter they should last a week or two easily.

Peperoncini may also be to your liking (its the yellow pepper you usually get in the box of take out pizza).

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

My pepperoncinis are growing green. No yellow. They go straight to red if left on the plant. They sure look like pictures of Pepperoncinis that I have seen. Very little heat in them too.
    Bruce

• homefry319
    11 years ago

it sounds like a alma paprika maybe, they start a yellowish color then go to a deep red(the photo its still a little premature) they have very thick walls so theyd freeze really well, Id think theyd hold in the fridge for more than a few days though...

also there are some pimento types that are pumpkin shaped and a little smaller than the alma paprkia

• romy6
    11 years ago

Tobago seasoning. Great falvor and smell very little heat.

My peppers stay much more crisp in the fridge than on the counter( 2 or 3 weeks). As long as they are in a air tight baggie and placed in the vegetable drawer.

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yup Romy, this is the type of pepper I'm looking for =) Thanks for the head's up. I've tried Trinidad beans, Trinidad seasoning and then there was the unknown seasoning pepper I described above.

I probably should've been more specific in that the peppers are called Pimento in Trinidad. It's a catch-all phrase meaning seasoning (not sweet now, but savory).

I've started Tobago seasoning but they haven't come up as yet. Hopefully they freeze well. Thanks for your input everyone!

Antoinette

• namot
    10 years ago

may try Tobag seasoning this year, always had Jalapeno,
    is the Tobag hotter in taste? about the same?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Once I grew an Italian pepper that was called "Pimento". The pods were the size of cherry bomb , but they were sweet.

There are couple of dried peppers that are used in Mexican cuisine. Chilaca and poblano( when fresh). When dried they are called Passio and Ancho (I think). They are mild but with good flavor.