Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john11840

What Is It?

John A
10 years ago

I know you guys are probably tired of pepper ID items, but I have one that really has me stumped. I planted seed that was marked Fiesta. Out of 6 seeds, I got 2 Fiestas and 4 of these. They are rather pretty, but not Fiesta. Can anyone tell me what they are? Do I have seed mixed up, or are they a cross?
Thanks, John A

Comments (5)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I'm not very good at I.D., but it looks like a Thai variety to me.

Kevin

• John A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kevin. I did, in fact, grow Thai Hots a couple of years ago, and it's possible that these are a cross from those. The difference is that Thai Hots go directly from green to red. You can see in the photos that these were purple first.
    John A

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Yeah... wasn't paying attention.

The purpling wasn't a form of sunburn? By the look of the pic, that's a grasp on my end. Since your darker peppers look uniform.

I've never seen sunburn affect a whole pepper, but they're completely exposed.

How's the flavor and heat?

• karjab40
    10 years ago

I grow explosive embers that look simular to this. The leaves you have though are not purple though. My explosive plants ..the leaves are purple and the fruit starts out purple then changes through different colors and finally turning red. You folage there looks more simular to a hawaiian chili plant that i have. Yet hawaiian chili peper plants..the fruit isnt purple. They do grow up like that and are very small. Starting out yellow and turning red eventually. Maybe you have a cross breed? How exciting for you!!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have an ornament type of that,'
    It fruits are bit smaller and have sharper tips.
    They start as purple, then turn red.
    IT IS CALLED SANGRIA.

BTW: the pods are just slightly hot.

They are in the general category of ORNAMENTALS.

Sponsored