Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ithym

Can someone identify this pepper

Ithym
10 years ago

I bought it and lost the tag.. the only thing anyone can tell me is that is from the "Super Hot" family.. I am stumped as I cannot find any images of it online..

Comments (10)

• Ithym
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Additional picture

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

A Balloon/Bishop's Crown type baccatum.

I've only grown one before, about half the pods were "hot" (like a Jalapeno), the others not so much. Neat looking pods tho.

• Ithym
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What color did yours turn..

I tasted some of the seeds and they are super hot.. I would compare them the seeds of the scotch bonnet

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

They went from yellow to orange(ish) to red eventually. Have you tried one of the pods or just a seed? Sometimes the seed is the only hot part - it could have been that the ones I found "less hot" had fewer seeds. Just a guess.

I am pretty certain it's a baccatum, judging by the way the lanky way the plant grows and the shape of the pod. Not a scotch bonnet and not a c. Chinese, IMHO.

• Ithym
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have tired the pods and they are sweet.. but the seeds are killer hot.. I am growing scotch bonnets and they seem a tab bit hotter..

By looking up the name you gave me the peppers do look like that.. I am going to go with that.. I will take some better pics and post them. The only pepper that I cannot get to pod is my ghosts.. they have nice plants just no pods..

• Ithym
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is funny.. Mine just seemed to limp along this summer and finally started to get nice.. It is very late in the growing season to get anything.. My scotch bonnets and chilis are doing great, and as you can see my other peppers are nice too.

Maybe I will go outside and open a can of whoop ass on my ghost peppers and see what happens

• ottawapepper
    10 years ago

I agree with mctiggs' ID.

I've grown a few named varieties over the years. Here's what I have for a description in my seed inventory spreadsheet:

This variety has many names: Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Peri Peri, Ubatuba Cambuci, Nepalese bell, Aji Flor, Orchid, Christmas Bell, Bishops Crown and Bishops Hat to name a few!! This very unusual pod shaped variety is believed to have been transfered from South America to Europe by the Portuguese in the 18th century and is actually part of the species Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum. The plants are quite large growing 3 to 4 ft tall and produce 30 to 50 extremely weird 3 or 4 flat winged, wrinkled almost flying saucer like 1 ý" wide pods. The flesh of each pod is thin athough crisp to taste and they mature from green to red approximately 90-100 days after seedlings have emerged. The body of the pods have some detectable heat, but the wings are sweet and mild.

Here's a couple of shots of a ripe Christmas Bell last year.

Actually, it's one of my favourite stuffing peppers.

• smeagollumx
    7 years ago

I need an ID on these peppers as well. Please.

• Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    7 years ago

I also grew a pepper resembling OP's. I got seeds from Baker Creek and they were labeled "Red Mushroom". When I brought them to a farmers' market I got all sorts of mixed reactions. Some said they were "Rain Forrest Reds". But many thought they were really neat and purchased them just to save seed. So at the seasons end I did the same and now have another crop of plants growing from my saved seeds. I would also be curious of the origin of these since they are very interesting.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm