Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexxluthor

Wish those came from my garden

lexxluthor
10 years ago

My friend is doing an internship in Mexico City and sent me these pictures from the local market. One american dollar for 8.3 oz. lots of different varities

This post was edited by LexxLuthor on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 11:00

Comments (4)

• peppernovice
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm assuming those are all dried. That's an amazing amount of peppers. Did he mention what varieties they had available?

Tim

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

Neat stuff.

I'm a sucker for all the neat sights (sounds & smells, too) at the market.

• lexxluthor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the pepper pods are pulla, morita, catarina, arbol s.pata, cascabe, guajillo.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

See if your friend can find a yellow pepper called Galaugera,possibly a local name.
    Sold as a fresh yellow pepper in different parts of Mexico.

I've been told it' means basically a small yellow hot pepper by the guys who work here.
    They are from different parts of South America...

I got some seeds from Mexico once,they are similar to the pickled yellow peppers at burger joint.
    Better taste ,a lot better tasting,at least what I grew fresh and pickled.
    Thicker fleshed etc.

I tried Guarrito , cascabella and a few others.

They might be similar but taste different than the Landrace version I got years ago.

Guarito is close , but no cigar.

I have a feeling it might be the same pepper in name but with landrace stuff,the pepper adapted to where it was grown and changes in taste etc are different.

Like the New Mexico Anaheim types.
    It makes a difference where it's roots are=soil,climate etc.

If you can find the seeds for Galaguera I'd be jazzed,

Set you up with seeds or pods,powders,rubs etc. in exchange-IF they are what I have been looking for.
    Either way,I'll trade a good amount of seeds or whatever in trade.
    IF they are what I've been looking for I'll send you other stuff.
    I've been trying to replace these seeds for several years.
    Nobody has seeds,several people grew them at the time I grew them.
    Supers rule these days,nobody grows anything but supers , crosses or wilds...
    Due to crap attacking my garden a couple years back I lost my last plants grown from the seeds I had.

Somebody has to have growouts around,I sent TONS of SASBE offers out at the time that included the seeds I'm looking for.

I hate deleting any variety from my collection. LOL
    Especially a landrace variety that has that certain something that sets it apart from similar peppers.

I have a decent seed collection of crosses,strains and varieties of non bell pepper chiles.

When I first started growing Chiles I had a hard time deciding what to grow...
    I decided to grow them all.
    :)

Any help would be great.
    Info on where to look in Mexico would be GREAT too.
    I've been looking for a few years,I like THAT chile that much.

Also I'd be interested in seeds from Local/Landrace stuff that is only available in the local markets in a lot of places.
    I have a friend who goes to Peru often and brings me back seeds from street markets that are a LOT better than what seeds vendors sell.
    Same name but different pods ,Productivity , taste etc.

Sending seeds is easy.
    I get pods from Peru that my friend sends me as a Food product-dry crushed pods...or Fresh in a gallon jar that is full of pods and water.
    Processed stuff is cool with customs.Seeds alone are sometimes confiscated and dry full pods.
    Crushed pods sent as Pepper Flakes are usually ok.
    MOMS pickled Peppers are cool too(whole pods in water).

Ask your friend about what the stuff they see in local markets and if they want to deal with sending seeds,pods etc. to the U.S.

If they want to send stuff I want I'm sure I could work something out for both of you one way or another.
    Postage and seeds or?

Very interested in Landrace stuff.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living