Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

NOT happy!

kuvaszlvr
9 years ago

Husband went out to set off our burn pile, cos weather said no wind, but what little there was would be out of the east. I went out a little later to work in the garden. Well, no such luck, wind is in the opposite direction (not even a light breeze, mostly still) and the smoke is drifting and sitting on top of my garden. I tried to work, then started yelling at him. He laughed and said the smoke would get rid of the aphids.... and the squawking long-legged blonde. Jerk. Now I'm stuck in the house on such a lovely summer morning.
Pam

Comments (20)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

But, did it get rid of the Aphids?
    :)
    I think if you just wait an hour or two, the winds will shift.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:-P~~~~~~~~~~ not yet. in fact I went out to work on the greenhouse (I had told him it'd be too wet, but he said it wouldn't, well, it was, all it did was smoke, so he decided to wet it down to put out what little fire he had) and it started smoking again, big time. Had to come back inside. Heck, it's starting to heat up anyway.
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

LOL. Sorry Pam. At least you don't have one of those husbands that figures if he dumps a 5 gallon can of gasoline on the fire it will "dry it out" and burn fine.
    Bruce

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Did you try smoking some peppers?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

"Heck, it's starting to heat up anyway. "

It gets hot in the summer in Oklahoma???

Stop burning piles of trash in the midst of summer!

I figured it out! Okies are the cause for global warming! And stomach cancer! :P

Kevin

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Northeast_chiliman beat me to it. My garden's filled with smoke right now too. :)

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hahaha, you know, I was telling him that I should use the smoke for my peppers. But I didn't, especially since most of his smoke was grass clippings.

Hey Kevin, really, can't complain this year, right now it's 86 degrees, unheard of for OK in the beginning of August. We've had several days of upper 70's for highs. (and it's not really piles of trash, it's grass clippings and tree limbs - we aren't the ones that have piles of real garbage that we burn... ;-)).

Dave... cool smoker..

Pam

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Thanks Pam. Yes it is cool, particularly this morning. It was only 65 degrees here with a dry north wind. Perfect smoking weather!

Funny story. Several years ago I trailer-ed my big smoker out to the Cal/Nevada desert to cook for a large crowd of fellow racers. Some would wander around it and finally ask where the propane was?

Propane? On no, this pit is wood fired, hickory and oak. You could see the gears turning in their heads... OMG he's burning down the rain forests! lol

Invariably some would come back later and admit that that was the best tasting piece of meat they had ever put in their mouths. ;)

This post was edited by mecdave on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 15:36

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

What type of grass, thinking of the flavor it would impart on the dried peppers?

Or maybe? See link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia.

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 20:09

• tomt226
    9 years ago

So....I guess it's a "smokehouse" and not a GH.
    LOL

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hardy har har Tom.

Hey Dave, what kind of racers? My husband races sports cars, SCCA.

actually Northeastchileman mostly bermuda (which I consider a weed) and a lot of mixed in weeds like clover. I'll check the link once, and if, my internet ever straightens up, keeps going up and down.
    Pam

• toolstack
    9 years ago

My girlfriend smoked me out last weekend burning stumps covered with weeds and grass clipping. I have real bad sinus but I bite the bullet and have a wood smoker that I use every weekend. Nice smoker Mecdave. What kind of wood did you use?
    Randal

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Hey Pam, I used to race Autocross and SCCA (a little) back when the cars were fast AND cheap. Now I race kite buggys (similar to land yachts) on beaches and dry lake beds. They're powered by para-foils on lines instead of mounted sails.

Toolstack. I use large chunks of hickory soaked in water overnight over a very small charcoal or oak coal fire. The smoker gets preheated with an electric burner and for about an hour after adding the peppers (or meat). This allows the surfaces to dry out so they more readily accept the smoke and don't impart a wet smoke flavor.

After about 4 hours of smoke the electric burner goes back in until the peppers are completely dry, at least overnight. I try to maintain temps in the 120 to 140 range.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Dave, maybe you and my husband know each other. He's pretty much left SCCA now, like you say, they've really ruined the sport. Now he mostly races a Miata out at Hallett in their COMMA series.

Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Hallett! My favorite track. (So long as you stay out of Veronica Lake.) Does Tolie still own it? I was a Texas Turn Marshall and Racer Chaser, then Chief of Pits, for years in Texas Region.

Does anyone still do Formula V?

Dennis

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hahahaha! WOW! Dennis... You know Hallett, you know Tolie??? Tolie no longer has it, Mike Stephens took over, he passed away really tragically and his sons now have it. I helped build the tire walls around Hallett when I was in college, then worked on the TU sports car club corner crew for years. Tolie is short a leg now. Going to the SCCA national meeting a few years ago he stopped on a snow covered highway to help a motorist, someone lost control of their car and hit Tolie. Luckily he only lost one leg. Amazing what a small world it is! You might know my husband, we might have crossed paths at Hallett. Amazing. Nope, not many still race Formula V's, there's a few still around but not many. Mike usually raced Showroom Stock.
    Just amazing.
    Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

For such big states it's a tiny world.

I remember one Saturday there that degenerated into Tolie racing PLN (that's Paul Newman for you non-racers) around the pit wall backwards. I think they were in RX-7s, but that just could have been the beer. Glad to hear that most of him is still with us. Fun guy.

To date myself, I remember when Showroom Stock first came in. On the corners we weren't fans because slow cars made long sessions, and they almost never fell off. Good for the would-be racers, though.

I may well have met your husband. Wouldn't remember him, -> Bad with names.

Dennis

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG! you were there???? hahaha, I'm sure we have met at some point! I was there too! What a small world.
    Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yeah, at that race I started as a scrutineer (The Screw Crew), then moved to the pit. It was my first event running the pit and I had nary a clue as to what I was doing since we didn't have an active pit control to learn from.

I'm sure we have met, back during the Ice Age (you know, that time before global warming). Remarkable that we should meet again over something so entirely different.

Makes you wonder about past lives...

Dennis

P.S. Okay, maybe not.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW.. that is so cool. I would never have expected to come across an old Hallett worker here. I guess, since you know about the post-race pit lane racing, that you stayed for the saturday night party. I'm sure we met at one of those. How cool is that?
    Pam

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner