Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do all green peppers eventually turn red?

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 10:22

Will all green peppers eventually turn red (or another color) if left on the plant long enough. I have a bushel of what I believe are cyan peppers but not one has a hint of red. You never know when you might get seeds that aren't what they are supposed to be. I've seen Serrano peppers that are green for sale in the store and pictures od red ones. Are these two different types or will the green ones simply turn red given enough time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do all green peppers eventually turn red?

No,some turn Red , orange , yellow , white , Brown or purple.
Red is the dominant color for most but it depends what pepper it is.

Cayenne can be Red , Purple , yellow or orange/red.
Might be other colors too,I've only grown the above ones/colors.
If they were picked too early they might never turn color before they dry out.

o

I think what he was asking was whether or not green is the "final color" (i.e. fully mature/ripe) for any pepper. Some peppers such as Serrano are primarily used in the green stage. But, as Smoke said the "final" color is varied. As far as I know there are no peppers whose final/fully ripe color is green. There may be an oddball cross out there that ripens at green, but I've never seen it.

o

Yes they do..jalapeños do too but take for ever so you will mainly see them used green

o

Ther are several green when ripe bell peppers. Staysgreen and Permagreen) but I don't know of any other types that are green when ripe.

o

thank you all, that answers my question. I was wondering if there were any peppers where the "final" color is green. it sounds like for what I'm growing the answer is no. i'll just have to patient and wait for the change.

o

the wait is worth it .....most times will be a hotter pepper with more viable seeds if you plan on saving some .

o

There is a green habanero and 7 pot that stay green.As posted above A couple green bells too.

o

Correct me if I'm wrong. I've never heard of CYAN peppers....

But wouldn't you be looking for a final color of BLUE?

Kevin

o

The in-between stage is the interesting part. In fact, certain varieties by how they transform to the ripe color, usually red, is often used for identification.

For example, Congo Trinidad peppers go from green to red direct, with no yellow or orange stage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here