Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
w_m_d_1986

Help with habaneros please

W.M.D.1986
10 years ago

I have brought these Habaneros up from seeds and can't get them to grow any bigger. I started the seeds back in early apr. indoors only they all stayed indoors until about 1 1/2 inch tall when I put in lg pots and started to get them used to being outside. They do get a lot of sun and I water every two days if we do not get a heavy rain. I do not feed them anything I am trying to do this all natural if possible. Any suggestions would be great.

Btw I have 2 tomatoes plants growing in same soil and thriving not fruiting great but doing really well and a pumpkin plant that is growing like a freakish weed that I have to cut back every morning to keep from going into neighbors yards. I have a lot more pics if needed. Let me know what to do and if you need more info

Comments (7)

• W.M.D.1986
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This pic showes the scale a little better. For some reason the big one in this pic died when I put it in the ground like a friend of mine recomended.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

It's normal for there to be stunted plants in any litter, but generally those are about 1 in 25. You can use organic fertilizer and still grow them naturally... but lack of fertilizer would not explain the extreme stunting.

I started my habs indoors in March and they are large and full of pods. Something's wrong, I would defer to the real experts here (I am not), but I would suspect there is something wrong with your potting soil. Tomato and pepper plants have different soil needs, which could explain why the tomatoes are growing. The soil itself looks "too black". What type did you use?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Peppers don't like too much water, the soil needs to dry out some, unless your mix is quick draining you may need to cut back on watering. They are probably stunted due to lack of food, I would use a fish or kelp fertilizer. Does your soil contain any compost? Also is that mulch? Is it just on top or mixed into the soil? Your plants may be competing with the soil breakdown for nitrogen. The yellowing could be due to too much water or lack of nitrogen. I would start with giving them some fertilizer.

Mark

• W.M.D.1986
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I honestly don't remember the mix but its a quick drain which is what I kept being told was key for soil. Is there a specific fert. I should use? My jalapeños are doing great out front in the ground.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Alaska fish 5-1-1 fertilizer is what I have used. It's stinks but good for the plant :-) I would start there. Yeah there is nutrition where you have the jalapeno and you probably have a micro heard at work and that's why it's doing better than your potted plants. I am not sure if you are opposed to using lime or not, if so then use bone meal for calcium. These plants depending on your zone may have to be over wintered for next season.

Mark

• W.M.D.1986
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ty for all the quick replies I am going to try to get my hands on the fish fert. Or the bone meal. What would the down side of using lime be? As long as It is safe for consumption I am more than ok with feeding it to my plants.

My jalapeño plants are doing well but the peppers are not as big as some other plants I have seen.

I will take a pic of the setup in front yard where I have the jalapeño and green peppers. And a full yard pic of the back where I have the pumpkin tomatoes strawberries and habs

• W.M.D.1986
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the back yard

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company