Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peppers too small

Posted by beecho new york (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 11:00

This is my first year growing anything and I have a couple varieties of peppers. All are growing in containers and are doing very well. The only issue is that my jalapenos seem to be alittle small and turning black. I've left them on the plant to see if the black was just going to change to red but they are staying black and green. Also, my tabasco plant has A LOT of peppers but they are all about 1 inch long and they are all starting to turn orange and red. The tabasco plant is in a rather smaller container (10inch) so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. The jalapenos are in a much larger container and its basically the same issue. Any advice would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peppers too small

I seem to be having the same problem. I have 3 hot cherry pepper plants that are in 5Gallon buckets and doing very well. There must be 100 small peppers on them. I have already harvested about 20 because they turned red. They don't seem to get any bigger than an inch in diameter. Same with my jalepeno plants. The peppers grow to about 1 1/2" long and start changing colors. My cowhorn peppers, same thing. The only thing doing great are my Hungarian wax plants. They seem to produce tons of peppers no matter what I do. Anything I can do to get these peppers to grow a little better? The weather is perfect here in Philly. 80-90F during the day. They get plenty of water. They are in decent sized containers. I'm not using any nitrogen fertilizers. I don't know what the problem is. Any advice?
Sorry about the long post.

o

The black color sounds typical. It could be a bit of sun scorch, which will eventually disappear.
On average, peppers in containers will bear slightly smaller fruit. There will usually be a
few pods that are full-sized, however.

Tobasco peppers are about an inch long, so they sound perfect. A friend and I ate some Tobasco pods
the other day and they were very aromatic and hot.

In order to encourage larger fruit on a containerized plant, you might consider plucking any pods
that are small, mishapen, or blotched. The fruit tends to set faster, grow larger, ripen sooner, and
the plant also tends to set a second crop of (sometimes) hotter pods.

Josh

o
Some additional tips

Plants use Nitrogren from start to finish.
In general, plants use NPK at a 3:1:2 ratio...all season long.

I think it is wiser to simply cut back/limit the Nitrogen than it is to eliminate it entirely.

For example, if you've been fertilizing at full-strength, try fertilizing at 1/2 or 1/4 strength.

Make sure that your plants have a readily available source of Calcium, too.

Josh

o

Thanx josh. Will do. I've introduced a potassium & phosphorus fertilizer (as recomended by a friend). I have stopped the nitrogen which I was told only helps the growth of foliage. I will cut back to half strength. Should I continue with the potassium & phosphorus or was this bad advice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here