Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Carolina Reapers

Posted by SandHands none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 11:03

Has anybody had success growing reapers indoors? I have a few very healthy plants in the sunniest window possible right now, but I'm getting severe flower-drop. I have dozens of buds on each plant but they all just fall off before setting fruit.

I've read through some of the common causes of this and the only thing that I think could be causing it is pot size... I have them in 8inch pots right now which I know is on the smaller side but I feel like if the plant is going to all of the trouble to make tons of blossoms it must be relatively happy.

If the pot is the issue, can I repot into a larger container and still hope for any yield this year?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Carolina Reapers

From what I understand you will not be able to get the plant to set fruit in a sunny window. You will need a lot more light than that. Also a typical fluorescent light that we use to start our plants will not work either. You will need a full spectrometry light HID I believe.

o

I forgot to mention your pot is plenty big to set fruit. The plant won't get as big as it could but producing peppers won't be a problem. Getting the correct amount and type of light is your issue.

o

Hmm, I would've thought if blossoms can thrive then the light was sufficient. My only outdoor option is a very hot roof right now. If I slowly introduce the plants to the sun and stay on top of watering, do you think it's too late in the season to see any production?

o

Depends on where you are located.
But introducing indoor plants to the sun is going to beat the hell out of them.

Josh

o

I'm in zone 6a so I'd guess we only have another month or two before it gets colder.

o

You're right on the edge. Shade the pots and keep up the watering and the plants should be okay - assuming that they have been hardened to the sun. If they haven't been hardened, that will take at least another week.

But go ahead and try it. The plants are tough and you can't do any real lasting damage. And you could learn a lot.

Dennis

P.S. Please put your zone in your profile.

Good luck!

o

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here