Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deltatango301

Hot Banana Yellow Wax Peppers

deltatango301
10 years ago

Hi everyone new here

I have been trying for sometime to find seeds for Hot Banana Yellow Wax Peppers the same peppers as the
Mezzetta-hot-banana-wax-peppers can anyone help

The next question can you take seeds out of pickled pepper and use them ?

Comments (11)

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Hot Banana/Hungarian Wax is relatively popular with most seed vendors offering it. Mezzetta probably uses a hybrid version, but the older OP version should work as well. I don't know the process mezzeta uses in pickling, but I doubt the seeds are viable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrid Hot Banana pepper

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Just a note: Hot Banana and Hungarian Wax are two distinct peppers.
    They are often confused in the commercial trade.

Josh

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Below my post i attached a link to the product that the original poster is referring to, in case anyone is curious.

My guess is that it's close enough to a standard Banana pepper. They pickle well, are very early and productive. There is both a Hot Banana and Sweet Banana type, so keep that in mind.

As Josh mentioned prior, Hungarian Wax is definitely a different pepper. But it is similar, and has steadier heat than Hot Banana. People who are *very* familiar with both Banana and Hungarian tend to end up favoring one or the other. So that's why i will recommend that you plant both of these workhorses.

Agreed with farmerdill about seeds becoming non-viable in vinegar, and remember that vinegar also takes a lot of heat out of peppers.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Mezzeta Banana pepper.

This post was edited by sjetski on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 0:33

10 years ago

Excellent advice, Steve.

Josh

• deltatango301
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the posts, I have been in touch with Siegers Seed Company to ask what is the nearest pepper seeds to the Mezzetta one, got in contact with Mezzetta they replied but said did not know where I could get seeds dont think they wanted to tell me? so anymore information in my hunt for the right seeds would be appreciated

Terry

• deltatango301
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nearly right sjetski but this is the correct one

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Banana Wax Pepper

• seysonn
    10 years ago

It is clear, to me, that "Mezzetta" is a brand name for pickle, not a pepper variety. Even its manufacturer say :
    Ho Banana & Wax Pepper. And as Farmerdill mentioned, the seeds/plants for those are not very hard to locate.

• deltatango301
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Seysonn yes I know Mezzetta is a brand, Its the taste and mild heat I like eaten straight from the Jar, so thats why I would like seeds nearest to this variety, then I can sew them for next year in the greenhouse and be a happy boy well a 71 year old boy, thats why I don't really want to make a mistake with seeds you know getting to the end of your life span :)) so if know were to find them please tell me
    Terry

10 years ago

Almost any retailer will carry Sweet/Hot banana pepper, as well as Hungarian Hot Wax peppers, seeds. Most nurseries and home improvement stores also carry starter plants.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Josh is right. Almost all will carry the sweet and hot banana peppers. And the Hot Hungarian wax can be found as well at many nurseries and home improvement stores in the spring. Seeds are easy to come by as well.
    The sweet banana peppers are "sweet" and have no heat to speak of. The Hot Banana and Hot Hungarian Wax do have heat but are still considered relatively mile compared to most other peppers out there. Most commercially canned peppers in these varieties is the Hot Banana and Sweet Banana. I can and prefer the Hot Hungarian Wax. I cold can them after slicing and really like that they are still crunchy when I go to use them. I eat a sandwich a day with them on it.
    If you want seeds for Hot Hungarian Wax, I know I have plenty of them and I will send you some if you send me your address to the email in my profile. I probably have some sweet banana and Hot banana as well. let me know.
    Bruce

• deltatango301
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the offer of seeds I have emailed you...

Terry

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions