Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Massive Leaf Drop

Posted by salevene Medellin, Colombia (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 11:24

Hi Again,

So we have been in "summer" here where I am, which means, tons of sun and very very little rain... however, temps don't really go above 80. My best plant was on fire, doing great, watering every 3 days, etc. However, I had to go away for 10 days and when I came back, 30-40% of the leaves had fallen.

Well, I suspect that the person who was supposed to come water didn't come as often as they said they would and this created problems. After 3 days in this sun, the leaves would fall and I think that they fell, the plant never got water and then the plant got another day or 2 or 3 of the hot sun, without water and on the fallen leaves. Is this a possibility or do you think the roots are that stressed? Seems odd that it was super healthy before I left and then this... The other thing I noticed is the peppers sorted of stopped growing.

My question is, if thats the case, anyway to revive the plant and get the peppers to continue growing? I did water it of course and add ferts (it was due anyway).

Thanks in advance. Here are some pics:

BEFORE:

photo 6f714bc7008ecff30002d8c6585339e6.jpg

AFTER:

photo BigScotch2.jpg

photo BigScotch.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Massive Leaf Drop

I think it got dry. Most likely the person came to water, but didn't give as much water as you do.

Every leaf transpires a certain amount of water and a survival mechanism for the plant is to drop enough leaves so that the total amount of water used is closer to the amount available.

Now that it is back under your care expect to see new foliage.

Dennis

o

agree ...

no fert though ....

its stressed.. not hungry ...

water properly .... and get it over the stress .. before you consider fert ...

ken

o

Thanks all... a bit too late on the ferts, but I dose very small.

With the new proper watering in place, should I expect to see the peppers start to grow again as well?

o

Replacement foliage will be the form of growth for the near future, though I suppose the growing tips will keep at it, so yes.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 11:48

o

I had the same issue a few weeks back and every thing went back to normal as well. They will be ok.

o

Thanks all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here