Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poor pepper plants

Posted by GoBruins So Cal (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 11:31

Hi,

New to gardening in general. I'm trying to raise super-hot pepper plants like Ghost, Trinidad, etc.

I've just never had much luck with them, and they all seem to falter in pretty much the same fashion. The leaves look stunted and pockmarked, and eventually all fall off.

I'm wondering if something could give me some clues. Pics attached. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poor pepper plants

One more pic.

o

Can you describe the growing conditions and the soil they're growing in? That will help with diagnosis.

o

So Cal. Been in the 90's. Plenty of afternoon sun. Don't know much about soil except that I've tried fertilizing with manure mix, Miracle-Gro, Kelp extract - none of it seems to be helping. I did sprinkle some Epsom Salt.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm not much of a gardener.

o

I suspect that you're over-fertilizing.

Next time, try growing in pots with a commercial potting mix. And don't add anything but water for at least a month.

Did you start from seeds? If you did, then getting this far makes you something of a gardener.

Dennis

o

Hard to tell without more info but the best geuss is over-fertilization, combined with too much sun. Possibly watering issues (e.g. overwatering) may also be coming into play.

Peppers grown in-ground don't require much in the of fertilizer. Back off for a bit and see what happens. Maybe they'll bounce back.

Alex

o

Thank you. I will cut back on the fertilizer and see what happens. I guess it might have been the Miracle-Gro.

With Kelp Extract, isn't it impossible to overfertilize?

o

It's never impossible to over-fertilize.

In-ground, there is rarely a need to fertilize at all. Just let them grow.

Dennis

o

Ok - thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here