Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

do you really need gloves and a mask?

andyandy
10 years ago

I have a variety pack of the worlds hottest peppers coming in the mail tomorrow. 7 pots, bhuts, brian strain, and several others. I've been growing really hot peppers the past couple of years but they are not as hot as I suspect these will be. Can they be so hot that you don't want to touch them with your bare fingers or inhale the fumes? If so how the hell do you eat them. I've had ghost pepper puree and that was the hottest thing I've ever tasted. I want to use some in some home made burritos this weekend and am looking for suggestions on the best way

thanx,
Andy

Comments (14)

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I don't eat hot peppers and the hottest I've grown before this year were ring of fire and habaneros.

I did not use gloves with those one time - got a bit of the cap in my contact that night and the next morning they had to be tossed - still burned no matter how many times I soaked them. Believe me - you never want to go through that horrible burning sensation. I'm surprised they didn't use peppers during the Spanish inquisition..

I am also growing super hots for the first time and I will be wearing gloves and goggles when cutting or processing them. I do plan on taking my single burner induction burner out on the deck to perform any of the cooking process and will make sure the wind is at my back.

I wish I owned a hazmat suit. The pain from even those mediocre scovill raters was enough to scare me.

• mbellot
    10 years ago

Everyone's tolerance is different.

Personally I cut them (Bhut, 7 Pot, etc) with no protection. The cap doesn't bother my hands/fingers, and it's entertaining later to stick a finger in your mouth and get a blast of heat.

I do need to be careful around "sensitive" regions, but don't wear contacts so that isn't an issue. I have accidentally touched/rubbed an eye and had 10-15 minutes of pain to remind me not to do it again - but it wasn't unbearable.

IMHO - Err on the side of caution, let unintentional mistakes be your learning moments. :)

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

I've learned the "sensitive region" lesson all to well. Beware! Even if your hands can take the heat, your bait & tackle can not! It's funny now, but at the time, SOUL WRENCHING AGONY.

As far as eating it, I would presume you would be incorporating them into something else, and not eating them whole.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanx everyone, What I plan to do is cut them into little bits and add some in the burritos. I will have several piles of cut up peppers. cyan, habs, and then these super hots coming in. people can decide on their own how adventurous to get. I've done this with my habs before and because they were mixed in with the beans, chicken, onions, green onions and the rest it did not get crazy on the tongue. it just added a real clean heat that was great.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Edit: double post

This post was edited by mctiggs on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 13:32

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

gloves are a good idea. a mask isn't really necessary unless you're doing it on an industrial scale, or don't have any ventilation whatsoever.

I made 7pot sauce yesterday (two brain strains in 16oz of sauce, perfect level of heat) and did the cutting bare handed and was fine. after cutting, clean your hands with alcohol, and then soap, use the soap a few times.

I rubbed my nose before using the soap. you learn really quickly not to do that. I rubbed my eyes once after cutting habaneros, and I will never ever do that again. ever.

I guess it's all about training. after a few weeks of eating superhots, my stomach/butt hole no longer hates me the next day. it's funny how our bodies can adapt to almost anything.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judo-
    Thank you, I've learned to be careful what you touch after cutting up the peppers. I've gotten some in the eyes before. I am excited. I planted what I though were ghosts last year. they seem to be some sort of hab ghost cross. They are super hot but I know the pure breads will be twice as hot.

• Boost313
    10 years ago

Gloves yes. Nitrile at that. Especialy if you are going to be deseeding the pods. As I have had bhuts soak threw latex while deseeding. Mask probably not unless you're sensitive. Never thought I was until using half a gallon worth of yellow brainstrains to make hot sauce. Whew what a coughing fit that caused.

• silentway
    10 years ago

When I take super hots out of the dehydrator and put them in the grinder I absolutely need gloves and a mask. The first time I did it I wasn't wearing protection and almost died when I open up the grinder.

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

I was the unfortunate one to go take a leak after seeding habs and bhut.... mask, not really. But for the sake of all things holy.... WEAR GLOVES!!!

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I use whatever gloves are at the 99 cent store.

Once a pair gets colored I put on new ones-change often if you are doing more than a few pods.

ALWAYS add Supers to what you are cooking ahead of time so they can blend or you get mild and super hot spots in whatever.

Example-Salsa.
    Add ONLY enough that taste on the low end of your heat range,let sit for at least a few hours,overnight is better.
    It lets BOTH the heat AND flavor evenly distribute through out the dish.

When I use powders added to a burrito or whatever it's different.You can sprinkle it evenly inside the burrito and it works pretty well.

Gloves are all you need unless you are clumsey at grinding your powders and don't wait for the dust to settle.
    If using a blender take off the container,a GLASS mayo jar usually screws right in.
    Air tight and you can let it settle.

DON"T USE A CHEAP BLENDER.

They get hot which makes the oils in the powder clump AND you'll let the smoke out REAL FAST(burn it out).
    IF you get 2 or 3 cheap ones you still have to let them cool between batches.Costs the same as a good commercial grade blender in the long run.
    I hear the bullet , infomercial ones are pretty good too.

I chop mine up in a food processor,freeze them and grind as needed.FOR personal use.
    I keep everything in my freezer,fresh dry ,powder or flakes.
    I vac pack a lot of it when I can.

Best thing to do is Dry your pods for powder and freeze them.Grind them as needed.
    Freeze a lot (fresh)for cooking too.
    You'll be suprissed that you thought you had a ton in the freezer or ? but you ran out in Mid to Late winter.

They get addicting.
    You end up using them in everything,not just for heat,but for the flavour Blends with different dishes too.
    Like any other spice.
    A pinch here and there adds to even VERY mild dishes.

My post is worth exactly what you paid for it... LOL

Don't think of supers as only additions to HOT dishes.
    To me Blending stuff usually is a lot better than the way a lot of people use supers.
    I Like 7 pots the best ,But only because they blend well with the rubs or whatever I eat or BBQ(Smoke).
    I do like HEAT,but everything has to be in the same ball park.
    I see eating a whole raw super as a BIG waste.
    I could have used it to make a Killer dish...OR a couple...

Peppers,no matter which one,They are a spice that has it's place in different dishes.

As a side note:
    I have a Burr grinder that leaks powder everywhere but does a ton of powder FAST.
    Hurts to empty the container and re load it.
    Great for small batches but nasty for large ones.
    Leaks too much.
    An oz. or 3 is OK.Over that you waste too much powder and need the Hazmat suite.
    Everything in the area has powder on it that you only find out about days latter.
    I ended up putting it in a plastic bag when I do use it.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all, I think I'll error on the side of caution and wear the gloves. I'll bet there will be safe handling instructions in the box. I'm going to use one tonight. I'll do a dry run on a burrito tonight. I'll cut it up outside so my kids. don't pass out. I'll let you all know which pepper I use and how I did.

• tony469
    10 years ago

It just seems that every time I mess with peppers my eye has to itch and of coarse I forget and rub my pepper soaked finger in it..so yeah wear gloves ..if your grinding dry peppers they can take your breath away or the powder go's up your nose..or u forget and use the bathroom..just be careful :O

• User
    10 years ago

Gloves, yes. I think of them like I think of insurance. Something you don't really need if nothing ever goes wrong BUT, something you're happy you have is something does. After using them you don't have to worry about unconsciously rubbing your eye or going for a potty break or touching your significant other in a passionate moment (don't ask me how I know).

A mask/goggles, not necessary unless you're grinding a whack of dried pods and don't have time to let the dust settle.

Just sayin

Sponsored