Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

thai pepper seeds

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I am looking for thai pepper seeds. and when I say thai pepper, I mean the tiny little peppers with a lot of bite. twice I've bought seeds that I thought were for the correct kind of tiny thai peppers, only to get plants with 3" long pods. I'm looking for the correct ones for next year. I'll happily send a SASE and/or a trade for anyone that has these inexplicably elusive correct pepper seeds.

thanks.

Comments (17)

• littlepepperboy
    10 years ago

I have orange thai which is a "true" thai chili. Very small, turns orange when ripe and are great tasting. I have Red Thai also but honestly the orange thai is a better plant. They turn into a bush with very small leaves especially compared to a chinense. Very good producer. the picture was taken just a few days ago.

Id be happy to trade or just give you some if you send an sase.

I had a similar experience as you, tried for years to get a true thai chili with little luck. I even went so far as to go to a thai restaurant and ask for one of their chilis, they went to the kitchen and brought back a serrano!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Would you be looking for these? If so, I think I have some seeds left. These peppers came from a plant given to me by a coworker who bought them from a Thai market.

Mark

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Here is the multi stage of colors

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I grew this Thai Hot Pepper from a starter. It is growing its pods in clumps of skinny pods 1-2" long. A couple of the pods are slightly over 2" but most are under 2". Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not but I can send you some seeds when they ripen. None have ripened yet but I should have some color in a week or so.
    Bruce

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the offers I've gotten so far, but all of these seem like the ones I already have, minus the orange ones. I'm looking for the ones that are about an inch long or less. I know 2 people that have plants. I might just have to hit them up next time I go back to melbourne.

• gardendrivenlife
    10 years ago

I think I have what you are looking for.They are about 3/4" long by 1/4" wide and point up, like bird peppers do. It's a small, bushy plant w/small leaves. Pretty good production. I haven't tried them yet, though. I got them in the seed exchange.

Gary

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Hey Josh: what variety are those called?
    Bruce

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Damn Josh: That's an OLD ruler. I'm surprised it has the centimeter markings. :P

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Well, it does have the teeth marks on it from when he used it back in 5th grade.

Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Well, Bruce, I received the seeds in 2008, but never arrived at a definitive identification. John Fiedlermeister helped me with some possibilities...Thai Hot, Thai Mound, Thai Kee Nu...or a hybrid form.

They're not the hottest Thai chiles, but they have that flavorful, tangy, stinging burn. And they're superb for stir-fry, chile oil, chile garlic paste, and Pepper (muddle red and green peppers, cilantro, fish sauce, lime juice, MSG). The most versatile pepper in my kitchen.

Here they are beside Hot Cherry, Hungarian Wax, and one Black Pearl:

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

greenman28, I believe you have exactly what I'm looking for. you say they're not that hot. how hot are they? the ones I've tried, I'd say are about half-habanero heat, maybe a little less.

I want them.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

How hot? No where near half the heat of a Hab, thankfully. My brother stumbled upon one of those incredibly hot Thai plants at a grocery store...and we all discovered just how hot certain Thai varieties can be! These are a medium heat by my reckoning, and their smaller size means that there's less vegetable matter to chew and swallow. Tangy burst of juiciness right up front, then a crapload of seeds :-) followed by a stinging smack of heat for 2 - 7 minutes....

"All gardening is local....", so these seeds might grow into a plant with hotter or milder pods due to climate. They are prolific, producing hundreds of pods in warm zones, 9 and warmer.

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Try them in a hanging basket I had one for years best over winter pepper ever

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I overwintered a Thai last year and all my winter peppers lost every bit of heat there was.

Kevin

• don555
    10 years ago

I believe the variety you are seeking is called Thai Sun. Peppers a half inch to inch long, with hundreds of peppers produced on a single plant. This was grown in a 6" pot indoors under lights some winters ago. I don't remember the taste but I recall them being quite hot. I only grew it once because I prefer a bigger pepper. I got the seeds from Pepper Joe.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21