Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodnebridges

epsom salt

rodnebridges
10 years ago

I recently applied epsom salt to my plants to ward off slugs n such. It worked wonderfully and also benefited my soil greatly. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but the after about 5 days a lot of my plants, especially the ghosts start putting out pods. Okay all good. My question is.... Can I keep applying the epsom salts after they have dissolved after a rainy day. Can I over use it ? Basically I'm asking can I use too much ?

Comments (9)

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

A family member of mine uses Epsom salt to make the peppers hotter. No clue if it actually does but he puts it in the soil every 2 weeks with no issue. I do think over doing it would kill the plant as I've used table salt to kill a candle lily bed. Not sure if its the same but be careful.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Nope, table salt is sodium chloride, not good for plants, epsom salt is magnesium chloride, magnesium good for plants. ;-) I LOVE epsom salt, I usually mix 1T per gallon of water (or close, I don't measure exactly) and use it once a week. I've never had problems with it, I'm sure you can over use it, just not sure what that point is. I've read some people who have said that it had doubled the size of the fruit on the plants they used it on vs the ones they had not. I don't know. I use it religiously on seedlings.
    Pam

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

Nice to know. Thanks. Does it really effect the heat?

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

*magnesium sulfate, not magnesium chlorate. MgSO4-7H2O.

plants like magnesium, and they like sulfur. just like I like chocolate, and peanut butter. but too much of a good thing turns into a bad thing.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I read this interesting piece of information that claims. application of EPSOM salt can help the plant to properly intake Calcium. This, in particular, in tomatoes and peppers might help to prevent BER.

Since normal application of EPSOM salt is harmless to plants, I would think that it is worthy of trying in prevention of BER, even if it sounds like "Old wives Tale"....hehe

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

judo.... ooops, you are right, I was stuck on chloride, fingers quit connecting with brain. Duh!

• gardendrivenlife
    10 years ago

I believe it helps with fruit set, like you noticed. Also, on my tomatoes, they get a better flavor. Coincidence?

• SgtPepper
    10 years ago

I have applied it the leaves in a spray bottle to make greener leaves, but it hasn't worked to any great noticeable degree. I used perhaps too little. But it's magnesium sulfate, so you get sulfur and magnesium which plants need. But not too much is usually recommended.

I have added it to the soil in watering, but with all the NPK feed I do on an otherwise routine regimen, who knows how much benefit epsom salts are doing.

If you are attempting to make yellowing leaves revive from overwatering by using epsom salts solutions -- forget it.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It only helps *IF* there is an actual deficiency, or an imbalance that is impeding the uptake of Calcium. Adding Epsom Salts won't force a plant to set pods. That's simply not how plants work.

If the plant already has these elements available, then adding Epsom Salts can disrupt the balance between Magnesium and Calcium, potentially causing problems.

Josh

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!