Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite pepper under ~50,000 SHU

Posted by brian6464 4a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 12:40

My wife has complained that I way too many hot/super hot peppers (I do), so I want to start planning for some plants/fruits to appease her next year.

Since SHU can be subjective, I'm just looking for ideas on peppers that generally range from sweet to less than 50,000 SHU.

I like growing varieties that are uncommon and not found at your local big box nursery, so something other than your standard Bell and Jalapeno pepper.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite pepper under ~50,000 SHU

Serrano, Fresno, Anaheim, Poblano, Cubanelle ...

Oh wait, those are available at big boxes.

Dennis

P.S. I have to put in a plug for Lemon Drop, or any of the C.baccatums. Very rewarding and most are not all that hot.

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 17:33

o

Beaver Dam, hot lemon, chocolate cherry, hot portugal, kung pao, Mariachi, Pimiento de padron, tiburon, Biker Billy Jalapeno, Hungarian hot wax.
Pam

o

Shishito. Super mild and great tasting.

John

o

Pimiento de Padron are by far our favorite not-hot, we can't get enough of them. I'm adding Jimmy Nardello, Feherozon Paprika and hopefully Aleppo to next season's list to round out the flavor profiles.

o

Yep I agree... sadly mine have gone a bit dormant. I have been gathering Padron's twice a week for frying up, but not for awhile. :-( I am growing Aleppo next year too, can't wait to try it.

People rave about Shishito, but from what I have seen a read to me it sounds and looks just like a padron. Anyone grow both of them together? I'd be curious to hear comparisons.

Pam

o

I also like mild ones. I am growing the following:

-- Cubanelle, Chilaca, Fresno, Hungarian HW, Jalapeno, Serrano, Bishop's Crown (just budding), Manzano

no heat ones:
Pepperoncini, Gypsy, Shishito, Anaheim,

Medium Heat:
Habs, Lemon Drop, Thai Hot, Chinese multi color,

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 16:55

+1 for Fresno

Jay

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 17:15

Hot Hungarian Wax.
Bruce

o

I just ate my first starfish/bishops crown/balloon pepper/ aji-whatever. that pepper has so many names! but holy crap it's tasty. almost no heat to speak of(I cut out the seeds though, so the heat may lie in there), but really really super tasty.

I've got a solid crop of aji limon pods on the plant. I am very excited to see how those taste.

o

Judo: I also have a real nice crop of Aji Limon, Aji Cito and Starfish peppers. My first two Lemons turned yellow yesterday. I probably have 150 peps on the 4 plants (Starfish, Aji Limon and 2 Aji Cito). Looking forward to cooking with them.

My wife thinks anything over 30,000 SHU is too hot, but I'm working on her.

The seeds I already have and did not plant this year:

Bishops Crown
Fresno
Kung Pau Hot
Guatemalan Jalapeno
Chimayo
Cherry Large Hot
Big Jim Hot
Peppadew
Santa Fe Grande
Corno Di Toro
Crunch Sweet Orange

I'll also save seeds from my Hot Lemon's, Aji Cito, Friariello, Giant Aconcagua, Fish, Hot Portugal and Sheepnose.

If anyone is interested in any of these and can provide something different, maybe we can work a trade.

o

I love golden cayennes for their flavor and a heat level where I can eat multiple at a time. It was probably my favorite overall pepper. However, I tried my first aji limon the other day and I think its better by a fair margin (similar heat, more of the same flavor). I will continue to grow both.

o

%%%%%%%%%%%

my kind of peppers for daily fresh eating, in salads, salsa, sandwich , omelet , on the grill, or just nibbling in the garden.

o

scott, I love golden cayennes too, they are one of my favorites. Unfortunately my plant isn't doing that well this year, it was good enough to get seeds from, but that has been about the extent of it, I only have 3 fruit on it now.

Also, jmho I'd go with Mariachi over Santa Fe Grande. Although Mariachi is a hybrid Santa Fe Grande, it produces much bigger fruit and is extremely prolific, I'm buried right now. and they are really flavorful, just chop them up and toss them into a dish, they work with almost everything.

I just made sauce this last weekend with my Aji Limons, I didn't use the vinegar like the recipe called for (heck, I didn't follow the recipe at all). I used lemon juice, aji limons, some olive oil, and honey. Really turned out good. Now to figure out what to use it on.

Pam

o

Hey Judo, does the starfish taste like a hab? I have tried and tried but I just don't like the flavor of the habs. In fact last night I picked a few peppers to put some cheese in and broil, I figured, heck, I'll grab an aji dulce and just try one again. when I sat down to eat it and the aroma hit me and my first thought was, I am going to throw up. I ate it, didn't throw up, but... I just don't like the flavor and honestly I give up trying to learn to like it.
Pam

o

Ps, I was out picking some fruit earlier and I picked a Mariachi and a Santa Fe Grande, thought I'd post a pic of them to compare, the Mariachi is the big one on the right.

Pam

o

I don't think the starfish tastes like a hab at all. in my personal opinion it tastes more tabasco-ish but sweeter. I'm trying to remember it. heck I'll go eat another one and report back tomorrow.

personally I like the hab flavor, but did not care for the flavor of the bonnie "worlds hottest hab" at all.

o

I know, I'm such a weirdo, everyone loves the flavor of habs... except me. I took one of my aji dulces to the office for a coworker, she loved it. I told her it looks like she's going to be getting all of my aji dulces. ;-)
Pam

o

Interesting Pam, my sante fe grandes have gotten much bigger. They start like the ones on the left of your picture but get as big or bigger than the ones on the right of your picture before they start changing color. I love them for picking. I like to wait until one or two get completely ripe and then pick the entire plant, so I have some of every maturation to make pickles. Maybe I'll have to give the Mariachi a try as well.

This post was edited by scott123456 on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 23:05

o

I would add Rain Forest. Very citrusy, Prolific and easy to raise. IMO, some mentioned about are medium hot, i.e. Serrano & Biker Billy.
John A

o

> "did not care for the flavor of the bonnie "worlds hottest hab" at all."

This year's? (orange hab-like pods) or previous years? (yellow fatalii)

Dennis

I typically am not a big fan of the "hab flavor", but I rather like this year's "worlds hottest".

o

It's hard for me to pick a favorite, it's more of a mood thing for me, but here's a few favorites in no particular order:

Red ripe Jalapeno
Aji Chanca Yellow.
Hot Banana
Serrano
Certain chinense / habs, the milder flavored ones.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 22:38

o

"This year's? (orange hab-like pods) or previous years? (yellow fatalii) "

the ones I grew last year. kinda battery acid like taste.

with that said, I am not a very good person to ask about what does and doesn't count as hab flavor.

o

Yeah, me neither. The only "real" habs I've grown are the chocolate variety, and those were from another planet. (HOT?! Holy Moly!)

Dennis

o

I am liking the flavor of my Bulgarian Carrot
My only issue is that the skin is a bit thick and tough.

I recently dried some with a few other varieties and made a pepper shake mix. mmmmm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here