Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

some thoughts on harvest strategy, setting heat records

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

bear with me a moment. I remember reading something about how in Japan, fruits are looked at as a luxury item, vastly different from vegetables. as such the idea in many farms is to produce a few really awesome fruits as opposed to a lot of mediocre ones. like melons for example, they only allow one melon per plant, so that the plant puts all its energy into one awesome melon, instead of a few decent ones. and the melons fetch an exorbitantly high price at market. and apparently the results are spectacular.

now I was thinking about what would happen if we were to do this with peppers. imagine a pepper plant (let's say a moruga scorpion, because it's supposed to be the hottest) in optimal conditions for growing extra hot peppers with regards to nutrients and environmental conditions, etc.

now say we clipped off all but the single best looking pod on a plant, that way the plant focuses all its pod production energy on that one pod... would we be more likely to get a new record?

...thoughts?

Comments (9)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I suppose that may work, but in my years of growing its better to have more pods. Peppers are susceptible to a lot of ailments, BER, pod drop, birds, sun scald or insects to name a few. I would think to be successful you would have to grow that golden pepper in a very controlled environment, or your other option beat the odds and plant 50 of one variety and keep one pepper on each, one of them is bound to beat the odds. I can't say for sure all energy going into one pepper would give it a higher stable SHU. Also that would be a lot of work picking off blooms it would be a part time job at least 25 hrs a week, if you got the time and space give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

Mark

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 8:15

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh I didn't say it was practical. much less easy. especially for a hobbyist. this is more for industrial operations. I was just bringing it up as a concept for a discussion on the science (or lack thereof) behind the idea.

in Japan, they do this in a greenhouse under controlled conditions. to them it's worth it because they get upwards of $100 per melon when it's done this way.

attached is the article where I got my info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japan's obsession with the perfect fruit

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

If the market was there for peppers like the fruit in Japan, I would guess this method would be done on peppers. In a controlled environment I am sure the pepper would grow larger and possibly intensify the capascian concentration since the plant is putting all its energy to survival aka the pods and if it only has one then it will do all it can to make sure it has the best chance it can get. Interesting topic and I would like to see what others think on this.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

The Japanese also import Swedes to massage their cows.

And they eat poison fish.

Maybe we shouldn't be following their practices.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

DMForcier, Kobe Beef taste good, a massage does the beef good, it's not like they are injuring the cow for the beef to be that way. Not sure what poisonous fish they eat but if they don't die from it it must not be too bad.

But what about the idea posted by the OP, the methods what do you think about that in regards to peppers?

Mark

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Japanese are very INNOVATIVE people. Whatever they produce they are superior than the others on many items. They always looking for something extra ordinary to produce.

Caelian

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Judo, what effect does it have on the melons? people do this with pumpkins to make them grow bigger. I'm no breeding expert, but I think it would maybe create a single better pepper, perfect shape and bigger size this year. But I doubt it would effect the next generation, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone will know for sure. If its that easy, I'll give it a try. I got the room. John

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

My Moruga plant happens to have only a single pod....so I'll tell you how it goes. Feels a lot like putting all one's eggs in a basket. But one is better than none, I suppose.

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don' imagine it would have any effect on the next generation. this would be only making the pepper on the plant hotter, if that even happens. the effect on the melon is it gets sweeter, and larger.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!