Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomt226

I Got A Weird Bhut Too!

tomt226
9 years ago

Picked about a gallon this AM 'fore I ran into this'un.
Looks like the shade of the last Tonkawa is again causin' floral and faunal depredations, so I may have to break out my Comanche medicine-bag...

Comments (10)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

That looks like it ought to go into your Comanche medicine bag!

Weird.

• scorion1
    9 years ago

That thing looks like it could almost talk.

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe I could sell it to Jeff Dunham....

• t-bob
    9 years ago

are Tonkawas a pepper, or do you live in Central Texas and know of the Indians who lived in Central Texas. I often swam at Tonkawa park when younger, ever been there? I think the Tonks ate Comanches when they could, but more often than that the Comanche had their way with the Tonks

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes, you did, Tom! Looks a lot like that mutant at the Farm.

Josh

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

t-bob,
    I live over here in western Bastrop County where there used to be lots of Tonkawa and Comanche.
    In the early 1840's there was a shooting scrape between some Texas Rangers, their Tonkawa scouts, and a band of Comanches. After a couple of the war party had been dropped, the Tonks proceeded to butcher and start roasting the Comanches. The Rangers wanted to pursue, but the Tonks wouldn't interrupt their "lunch." This all happened about five miles from here in the present town of Webberville...

• t-bob
    9 years ago

@ TomT, I know that area fairly well. My grandparents lived in Austin, I grew up in Whacko. Do you know the lil area/town of Garfield on 71 not far from Webberville? My people moved there in the 1840's and named their plantation Garfield. Unfortunately sold it in the 1980's due to a lawsuit with our own family and to pay for the lawyers. POS's. I never knew the story you told was so close to our old place, but I did know of it. There is a great book--Empire of the Summer Moon--that is about the fierceness of the Commanches, and a lot about Quanah Parker.....ok, keep putting on the pods---Bob

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

Yep, after last week's mutant pod thread, I also noticed a mutant pod with arms like that on one of my plants this weekend. Just one pod on an otherwise normal plant. I wonder if there's something going around?

Alex

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

t-bob,
    I've read it. Good book. Been to Garfield many a time. It's right near Hornsby Bend, which was named after Josiah Hornsby who was scalped by Comanches and left for dead.
    They were a surveying party, and the three other members were killed, but he managed to play dead and crawl away. Laid there for three days, until his wife had a "vision" and led rescuers to where he lay under a oak tree. Carried him back and nursed him back to health...with most of the top of his skull missing from the scalping. One day he stood up wrong in the smoke house, and hit his head, killing him.
    Helluva note. There's a hysterical marker on FM 969 near Hornsby community that relates that story. I think it'd make a damn good movie. I could be an old fart extra...

• t-bob
    9 years ago

@ TomT
    My grandfathers name was Col. Claude Washington (RIP)
    any chance you knew him....I am a 58 yo OF, maybe I could also be a star

Sponsored