Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Farmers Market pics....

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 12:48

We're having a great season at Jardin del Rio!
Picking vegetables three times a week and moving thousands of pounds! The cucumbers and the tomatoes have been surprisingly slow this year, but the squash, eggplants, and peppers couldn't be any better. The superhots should be ready sometime this month.

It's hard hot work (with not a lot of down-time), but I brought my camera with me this weekend and snapped a few pics before our patrons had purchased all the pretty peppers :-)

Apologies for slipping in a few tomato pics, too.

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Farmers Market pics....

Lovely produce!

o

Very nice Josh!

When were those colored bells started? My reds are just now starting to get some color.

Kevin

o

Thanks, Teresa, I take a lot of pride in the things we grow!

Kevin, we planted all of the Bells in the third week of April. The Islander (purple) Bell has been colored for weeks now, but the other Bells are just now ripening. The Albino Bullnose Bell has been a crowd favorite, and you know me, I like to steer folks away from disgusting Green (unripe) Bells every opportunity I get :-)

I've really been pushing the Giant Marconi as a stuffing / roasting pepper this season. Our Poblanos are incredible as well, but not as prolific - we're picking one of these flats of Poblano, every other week, and we have two customers who pretty much buy them all as soon as we have them. Same with our pepperoncini....two customers snag them all.

Josh

o

Nice photos Josh.. blech blech on eggplant though..
Pam

o

Nice produce! I wish I lived closer, I'd like to buy from you. We don't have a good farmer's market here.

o

We have great prices, as well :-)

Pam, I agree about the eggplant....as I tell customers, Hey, if you know how to cook it, by all means do! The only time I've enjoyed eggplant is when it is fried with shrimp paste. The white eggplant has a thin skin and is less bitter...still mushy texture, though.

Josh

o

Eggplant lasagna! Yumm!

I've also made a dynamite antipasto with eggplant cubes, zucchini, and olives. Gotta press out the moisture first, though.

Hmm. I think I'll go buy some eggplant. Where are you Josh?

o

Hey, DM!
I'm up here in northern California, about 35 miles northeast of Sacramento. Our Farm stand is along highway 49, in the heart of Gold Country :-) A week ago, we got a HUGE banner for the front of our sunsails at the stand....maybe a little too big. Can't miss it now.

As for eggplant....yes, salt that moisture out!

Josh

o

I worked really hard when I was younger to like eggplant. I actually thought it was ok in Ratatouille, but one season I had a bunch of eggplant so I made a bunch of Ratatouille and then froze it. There are few things I have ever tasted that is as nasty as thawed Ratatouille. haven't liked eggplant since.

Nice banner!
Pam

o

Very nice products and pictures, Josh.

I see a lot of cat faced tomatoes. It tells me that your climate is cool. I am getting caf face all over.
Good luck !

I am going to pay a visit to our local Farmers Market, here at Bellevue, Washington. Not very big in numbers. Maybe less than a dozen veggies stand.

o

Hello!

Thanks, Pam! 12' x 24' banner....

Seysonn, I wouldn't call our climate "cool" by a longshot....we're coming off a week of 100F+ days, with most of the Summer between 90F - 100F. We just hit 110F on Friday. Saturday wasn't much better. Those tomato varieties are naturally like that.

Josh

o

Damn nice produce.
Where's the okra? Gotta have fried okra with 'maters...

o

Nice... 110... glad it's you and not us. So far we have only hit 100 - 3x this year, that's unheard of. Not that many 95+ either... I'm loving it.

Do you guys grow Cool Breeze cukes? That's the only cuke I grow anymore. I have yet to find a cuke that tolerates OK heat and drought like they do. I have yet to get one bitter or cracked. wonderful cukes.
Pam

o

I like eggplants.
The best way (imo) to cook them to taste good is pan frying.
The next way is baking at about 375F for about 90 minutes, on a rack. Punch holes for the water to get out as they cook.
But nothing beats pan frying, just like Italians do for eggplant parmesan.

o

I love all of the variety you offer- I wish you were a SoCal instead of NoCal. The markets here have pretty standard varieties, I'm there pretty much just for the eggs.

I'm in the pro-eggplant camp with Listada de Gandia being my current fresh from the garden favorite.

o

I wish someone would post some recipes for their eggplant creations. We just harvested 8 Japanese ones. Is there a recipe/cooking site on Gardenweb?

o

Josh, what variety is the yellow tomato? The one in the middle of the picture still has a little green on it, and it looks like a variety I grow called Pork Chop, which is an excellent tasting tomato.

Tom

PS Everything looks great. You should do well.

o

Great pictures! Well done, wish yall were close by the local farmers market here is just ok, Jardin Del Rio looks like it has everything. I have yet to see any peppers other than bell pepper at the market here.
Randal

o

Love the eggplant! I'm going to try growing that next year - usually it's too cool here and doesn't do well outside.

o

Hey, thanks everyone! Indeed, we are known for our incredible variety of non-standard produce. I think we have 12 types of eggplant growing, maybe more.

Veda, the Listada eggplant has been very popular this season. We grew it as a customer request (as we often do) and it has become a favorite.

Tom (Kentish), I honestly don't know if that variety of tomato is the Pork Chop....we have 74 varieties of tomato going, and it is confusing with so many look-alikes in red, yellow, chocolate, pink, and miscellaneous.

Pam, I don't think we're growing Cool Breeze cukes. We have lots of others, though....Straight 8's, Northern Pickler, Diva, Adam Gerkin, and some other dark pickling peppers. Our favorites for the pickles we make are the Salt and Pepper cuke, as well as the Lemon cuke. I just got back from the Farm where pickling and salsa was underway.

TomT, funny story about the okra....some lady was gaining access to the garden and stripping our plants. For weeks we couldn't figure out why the heck the plants weren't "producing." Then one of our workers spotted her as she was leaving. Anyhow, we're growing Burgundy Okra (again, by customer request), although I'd prefer Lady Fingers, or a tastier type. Here's a pic for you.

Josh

o

Our sweet white corn was amazing, too....we had enough to offer for three weekends, and it sold out completely. We even had folks ordering ahead of time to reserve ears for the weekend. Pristine, large, and good enough to eat without cooking.

Josh

o

Awright! You can't beat okra. Great stand too.
Gotta slip over to my neighbors and "strip" me some this evening...

o

come strip mine Tom... I feel horrible, I keep forgetting to pick mine. I've just forgotten it completely now, it's covered in HUGE fruit, plus the huge fruit I cut off a few weeks ago, that's the last time it's had a knife to it... BAD PAM!
Pam

o

Pam,
That's the bad thing about okra. You gotta pick it almost daily or yer screwed. About 4" pods are the limit for me. I had one 25' row, and before fire ants, it kept us in okra all summer, and the frozen stuff in winter.
Get a goat to eat yer mistakes...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here