Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomt226

Dried Fig and Bhut Sauce

tomt226
9 years ago

Did some work for a guy with a big fig orchard, and scored some dried figs, and I'm thinking that those and Ghosts would go together.
I'm figgering that I reconstitute the figs in hot water, and put'em in a blender with a little onion, garlic, and 1/2 cup of lemon juice, 1/2 cup of water, and maybe 4-5 fresh Ghosts, and blend away, then adjust with salt. Probably have to add some xanthan gum to stabilize the mixture.
This will be a refrigerator sauce, no fermentation.
Anybody ever used figs for sauce?
Enquiring Minds Must Know...

Comments (4)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

While I've never made it I love figs & dates so your question perked my interest and I did a search.

Flaming Rum Barrel Hot Sauce

The key to this recipe, aside from the habanero peppers, is the combination of dark rum and sweet figs. While the habaneros bring the obvious boost of heat, the figs make for a delectable sugary character, while the rum soothes it all together.

Ingredients

1 habanero pepper, chopped
    2 cups fresh figs
    1 small Spanish onion, chopped
    12 ounces dark beer
    2-3 ounces dark rum
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    ¼ cup honey
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Cooking Directions

>Heat a saucepan to medium heat. Add olive oil with onion and habanero peppers. Cook about 5 minutes until vegetables soften.
    >Add vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil.
    >Add figs and stir. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes.
    Add beer and rum, then bring to a boil.
    >Transfer to a food processor and mix to desired consistency. If needed, you can easily add water to thin out the sauce.
    >Transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
    >Serve!

I'm thinking 1 Hab might be a bit light on the heat level most here like,

Fig Habanero Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon Butter
    1 medium onion; coarsely chopped
    1/2 each dried habanero pepper; finely chopped (this pepper is extremely hot, use less if desire
    1 cup Cider Vinegar; or Cane Vinegar
    1/2 cup light or dark molasses; (substitute honey or brown sugar if you wish)
    4 cups Fresh figs; tightly packed, stemmed
    2 12-oz bottles Beer; dark beer
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper; to taste

Preparation

1. Melt the butter over high heat in a large saucepan, add the onion and habanero pepper, and cook for about 6 minutes or until onion is caramelized. Add the vinegar and molasses, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the figs while stirring. Return to a boil, then reduced to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the beer, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Puree the mixture using a hand-held blender, standing blender, or food processor. Adjust the consistency by adding a little water or boiling to reduce the mixture. Adjust the flavor to your liking by adding salt, pepper, habanero peppers, vinegar, or molasses.

½ dried Hab? WHIMP!

Habanero Fig Jam-Hot and Spicy Good!

Ingredients:

4 lbs figs, 8 cups pureed with chucks remaining
    1 large granny smith apple, cut into chunks under ripe is great
    4 red habaneros or 8 jalapenos, leave seeds if you want more heat
    1 1/4 cups bottled lemon juice
    3/4 ounce sure jell powder pectin
    1 tablespoon butter
    8 cups sugar

Directions:

1 Place apple, habaneros and 1 cup sugar in food processor and pulse till very fine. Place into a large nonreactive heavy bottom pot. Add everything but the sugar. Stirring in the pectin to dissolve.
    2 Bring to a full rolling boil,(a boil that doesn`t stop when stirred).
    3 Add sugar and return to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
    4 Remove from heat and ladle into sterilized jars. Leaving 1/4 inch head space.
    5 Wipe rims and place lids on add screw tops.
    6 Process in a hot water canner for 10 minutes.
    7 Remove and leave in a draft free spot to seal for 24 hours.
    8 Label and store in a dark cool spot.

Only 4 Habs to 4lbs. of figs and 8c of sugar? Come on, get a life!

Fig-Cascabel Sauce

Fig-Cascabel Sauce:

1 cup chopped dried figs
    1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup port wine
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup cascabel chile puree
    4 cups chicken stock
    Touch of honey

Fig-Cascabel Sauce:

Place figs in a bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit until softened, approximately 30 minutes. Place the softened figs in a food processor with 1/2 cup of the soaking liquid and process until smooth.

Combine the vinegar and port wine in a medium nonreactive saucepan and reduce by half over high heat. Add the sugar, orange juice, and fig puree and reduce by half again, stirring occasionally.

Combine the chile puree and chicken stock in another saucepan and reduce by half over high heat. Add the reduced vinegar-fig mixture to the chicken stock mixture along with a touch of honey and reduce by half again, stirring occasionally. Strain the mixture into a clean medium saucepan and reduce to a sauce consistency.

If you want to make this with Cascabel Sauce(yea, right!) click >here<.>As a sidebar I found this site while researching the fig usage and all recipes are refrigerated! Habanero Sauce Recipes.

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The first recipe looks interesting, with the dark rum. Don't want it overly sweet, so I'd leave out the honey. The beer is interesting though.
    Thanks for the input...

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

Man, I just had to read this thread because while I don't do superhots, the combination of fig and hot pepper sounds mighty enticing to me! Let us know if it tastes as good as it sounds!

• Big Kahuna
    9 years ago

Balsamic vinegar pairs so well with figs, I would use that as the acid component of the sauce.

Sponsored