Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafericson

Been Busy.. Lets play Catch up with some picts...

leafericson
10 years ago

Hey everyone, It's been awhile so I thought I'd play catch up with some photos of the progress...

Bishops Crown

Another pict of Bishops Crown

Chines 5 Color

Christmas Bells fruit

Christmas Bells

Ghost

Ghost Fruit

Rainforest fruit

Rainforest

Just want to say thanks to everyone that shared seeds with me. You are all way too kind.
I will be posting a lot more picts soon, so keep looking...

-Eric-

Comments (29)

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's some more...

Trinidad Perfume

Trinidad Perfume fruit

Butch T

Butch T fruit

Moruga Scorpion fruit

Scotch Bonnet fruit

7 Pot Duglah

Many more to come...

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And more..

Twilight

Starfish

Tiger Teeth

Primo (Thanks AJ!!!)

Orange Tree Hab

West Indian Red

Lantern

Lantern fruit

Orange Teapot

another Orange Teapot

Inca Red Drop

Orange Hab

White Hab

Fish

Fish fruit

Caribbean red

Bih Jolokia

Black Pearl

Black Knight

Australian Lantern Red

Not done yet :)
    It's getting too sunny to take any more decent pics, so I will continue this later...

• don555
    10 years ago

I'm jealous.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Wow great pics! Plants looking awesome and good pod output. It nice to see so many peppers in one group that the name matches the pod formation, I don't see one questionable pod to plant name, great job on obtaining true seeds.

Mark

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mark!
    Almost all seeds were obtained on Garden Web so it's no wonder that they all came true.
    Peppers were started out in grow bags under T5's in January and February. Then they were transplanted into Walmart grocery bags with a mix of peat moss and pine bark nuggets.
    -Eric-

• SgtPepper
    10 years ago

These plants and the production look as though they are straight out of an official picture book on peppers. Bravo!

• daisydawnny
    10 years ago

Awesome plants...I thought mine were nice until I saw yours. Well done!

• kypepperman
    10 years ago

ok the ghost fruit and rainforest fruit have really got my attention
    great diversity

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Beautiful grow Eric. Definitely got a lot of uncommon varieties.

Nice to see something out of the ordinary.

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I was gonna say that your moruga scorpion pods look exactly like the pods on what I thought were my brain strains. but others are saying everything you have looks correct. now I'm confused.

• WazzyWaz
    10 years ago

What a fantastic mixture of varieties and such beautiful plants, too!

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the compliments, I wasn't sure if they were all up to par but I guess so.
    I will be sharing all the seeds sometime after there all ripe.
    I have more picts to post, I think I have 61 hots plus a bunch of mild and sweets.. so get ready..
    Judo_and_peppers- I have 2 Moruga Scorpion plants one is quite different than the other I will post pictures of them after I get out of work if It's not raining outside.
    -Eric-

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the 2 Moruga Scorpions side by side the first one I am 99% sure it's the real deal the 2nd one did I mix up plant labels? or or get wrong seed? or is it a different strain of Moruga? By the way they came from different sources.

99% sure this is Moruga Scorpion

Very questionable, not quite sure what it is Moruga Scorpion???
    (sorry the picture is a bit blurry)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

your first one looks precisely like what I've been calling a brain strain. the second one I'm not sure what it is. it looks sorta hab-ish to me, but lots of peppers do.

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In the second picture the seed was obtained from a questionable source so to be sure I was getting a true Moruga I went to Cross Country Nurseries (they have 500 different varieties of peppers) and bought Moruga in the first picture when it was just a baby.
    Now I'm not quite sure, your right it does look like a Brain Strain. I have read there is a lot of debate about Brain Strain and Moruga which is Witch? - pun intended looks like something a witch would put in her cauldron to steal your thoughts. (sorry I have a dry sense of humor :)

• kypepperman
    10 years ago

pic 2 is not a brain strain. don't know what is. 1 is a morouga. yes the brainstrains and morougas do look similar but the bs seem to grow bigger pods in general

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Congratulations on such a successful season. You have some of the best looking plants I've seen. It's times like these I feel my name is more than appropriate. I am humbled by your pepper greatness.

Tim

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Know that I'm looking at the pic, #2 looks like your run of the mill orange hab.

Thanks Tim. This is my first year growing this many hot peppers, prior years I would grow maybe 10 different variety's.
    Oh by the way your first big harvest looks amazing!!!

-Eric-

This post was edited by LeafEricson on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 22:44

• dancinglemons
    10 years ago

AB-SO-Lutely FANTASTIC!! Your plants look great!! I'm going to look into those Walmart blue bags when I put the peppers in the greenhouse for winter.

Cheers,
    DL

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

Nice. Very nice.
    My plants are doing OK, but clearly you are doing something a little better than me.
    Thanks for sharing.

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, here's a few more...

Alma Paprika

Black Cuban

Black Prince

Bonda Ma Jaques

Leutschauer Paprika

Hand Grenade

Poinsettia

Many more to come...

-Eric-

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful Eric. Are those regular Walmart grocery bags or are they planting bags? Thanks

Kasie

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kasie, they are just regular Walmart grocery bags. 50 cents a piece! Fabric grow bags are way out of my price range for the amount of peppers I have. These Walmart bags are just the same if not better! Better for the environment too since they are made from 100% recycled plastic bottles.
    I swear by them and just as a test I made a raised garden bed with the exact same soil medium and feed them all the same, guess what? the ones in the grow bags outperformed the raised garden bed by far. I think it's b/c the Walmart bags are well draining and heat up more, that's something pepper plants seem to love.
    -Eric-

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Thank you for the info Eric. Looking forward to seeing your harvesting pictures.

Kasie

• dm_kelly
    10 years ago

LeafEricson- I'm impressed! My raised bed plants were tiny compared to yours. I've been trying to figure out a way to grow more plants and wouldn't have thought of this if it weren't for the pictures. Have you tried this with other plants? Eggplant? Tomatoes? I see a trip to Walmart in my future!

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks dmkelly.

Even though those Walmart bags are only 50â a piece, it still is expensive when you add it all up with the peat, pine bark, bat guano and all the remaining ferts.
    I really thought raised garden beds would do well and they do seem better than just in the ground but the Walmart bags out performed my raised beds by far and I used the same soil mix for both.
    Sorry I haven't grown anything else in the bags but peppers. Everything else I much easier to grow. Peppers are very particular.
    These bags require much more water and more fertilizing. They are very well drained and will leach out nutrients quickly. Whenever it rained for a long time I would go out there in the rain and fertilize them with a strong solution. Iron fert like you would use for lawns helps and to combat calcium deficiency I use calcium acetate, quick lime mixed with vinegar and allowed to settle.

• wolph
    10 years ago

Amazing looking plants and some high resolution pictures! How hot are the Orange teapots? I love there color! Worries me people keep saying that they get random seeds online cuz I did not use a reliable source. I'm gunna be using this post to match my pepers up to see what I got.lol

• thepodpiper
    10 years ago

Very nice plants Leaf, That Moruga sure looks like a 7-pot 2 me. I remember the days when scorpions had stingers.

• User
    10 years ago

Hi Eric,

I didn't catch this post last year. Based on your picture of your Black Cuban, I think you may have gotten crossed seed either from me or through someone I sent them to.

Foliage on Cubans should be purple/blackish like the the Black Pearl or Black Prince.

Did your plant look like this?

If so, I'm sorry you didn't get what you were expecting.
    When I discovered my saved seeds were contaminated with crossed seed, I put out a warning post, see below.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Cuban seed from ottawapepper

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 18:29

Sponsored
C&D Concrete & Construction
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Experienced Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Masonry in Franklin County