Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Pickling questions for hot peppers

thebutcher
10 years ago

I am about ready to buy the pickling stuff. Can anyone recommend the top brands to use for.

1. Pickling Salt brand
2. Pickling Spice brand
3. Vinegar brand
4. Anything else for better taste?

As for the jars I will probably go with Ball unless other recommendations.

Also in the photo is a pressure cooker from the 70's that was never used ore barley used. Should this be adequate or should I invest in a new one and do I even need a presure cooker or use just a pot? the height is about 5 1/2 inches and the center is a little more with the curved top.

Thanks all,
Mr Beno

Comments (5)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about the salt as long as it is designed for canning. Same goes for Vinegar. Vinegar is vinegar imo. The only wild card on your list would be the spices IMO. I don't have a recommendation but going with an established name brand would be the best bet. But what you might want to also consider is additions to the mix such as some minced garlic and/or sliced onions. Have fun and let us know how it turns out. Just keep in mind that if you can them the proper way by heating the canning solution to the required temps before filling the jars of peppers that it will essentially "cook" the peppers resulting in soft if not mushy peppers. I tried it one year and since have given up but I canned them sliced and canning them whole may work out a bit better. Now, I "cold can" them and freeze the jars that I cannot use right away. Freezing them will soften them a bit but not as bad as regular canning. Once thawed, they will last a couple months or more in the fridge.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

my dad de-seeds and grills them, then puts them in a jar with balsamic vinegar (better tasting IMO) and garlic. he mixes hot and sweet peppers, so the hot ones get a little milder, and the sweet ones get a lil hot. he keeps them in the fridge though, so no canning advice here.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Pressure cooker isn't needed for most canning ops (or at least the ones I do). But your pressure cooker should still be good - mine is from 1950 and still works great. The only thing to worry about is the seal and you can test that easily enough. Put about a cup of water in it and crank it up. (Add potatoes for efficient use of energy.) If the seal holds pressure you're good to go. These generally use captive seals so if the thing isn't broken or otherwise munged it's practically impossible to fail under pressure.

Good luck and don't forget to leave headroom in your jars.

Dennis

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

many thanks all, I will use all the advice. The peppers I am canning is Large Red Hot Cherry, Beaver Dam, Hungarian Hotwax, Charapita and Yellow Pequin. I still got time for the pods but figure it hcan't hurt to be all ready and maybe do a practice one with store bought hot peppers or something.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

As Bruce mentioned, the hot processing will mush the peppers, particularly the superhots. Mrs. Wages is a brand with which I'm familiar, and I've enjoyed the flavors. With the Jalapenos, it's easier because they have tougher skin. The Eisley Wax pepper is more delicate and more difficult...but we were able to process them with hot brine, then a 9 -10 minute hot bath. And, yes, always add garlic, at least four cloves to a quart ;-) Spicy pickled garlic is delicious by itself...or in a Bloody Mary....

Josh

Sponsored