Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuda_gw

cherry bomb pepper

cuda
17 years ago

I am new to pepper gardening (except the bell). I planted hungarian hot & sweet, habanero, super chili and cherry bomb peppers in containers. Should I wear gloves with the cherry bomb pepper when ripe? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• ddw962
    17 years ago

My recommendation would be to wear gloves when handeling hot peppers. If you're going to cut into one or two...use a knife and fork and you should be fine. But if you're going to work in batches...wear gloves. You'd be surprised how much oil you'll see on those gloves.

I made 10 jars of fresh salsa, and put up 13 quarts of pickled peppers over the weekend. I love this time of year!

d

• cuda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's a great time of year for vegies. I was thinking of pickling this pepper. Thank you! (Didn't know how hot the cherry bomb was)

• cuda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One more question.....I have about 4 cherry bomb peppers ripe. I should have quite a few (enough to pickle) in a few more weeks.

What can a person do with a few of these peppers? Use gloves when cleaning, slice and freeze? What uses/dishes (besides pickling) are there? I'm a newbie.

• willardb3
    17 years ago

Read here abou what to do with chiles:

Here is a link that might be useful: Too many Chiles

• scuby
    15 years ago

I am new to growing cherry bomb peppers too. What I am wondering is this....Can they be used in Salsa?? Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

• eaglejohn1
    15 years ago

I make poppers out of cherry bomb, also pickle.
    Thick skinned, so I simmer for a few minutes for poppers. Cut off stem and remove seeds with small spoon before simmering.
    Then stuff with cream cheese or chedder cheese. Dip in egg then bread crumbs. Chill for awhile so brerading stays on when deep fried.
    john

• roychol
    15 years ago

I made fresh salsa using cherry bomb peppers and it was delicious.

Roma & large cherry tomatoes chopped up, cherry bomb peppers, hungarian wax, california wonder bell, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, lime juice. YUMM!

I didn't follow any recipe for this, just chopped it up, mixed it up to taste, drained off the liquid. So it wouldn't work for canning, but it will last covered 2 or 3 days in the fridge.

• LyndaDi
    9 years ago

I made salsa verde and used my garden tomatillos and red cherry bomb peppers and all the other stuff in salsa. Really good.

I also stuffed the cherry bomb peppers with cheese (whatever you like) a daub of honey, topped with a bit of butter, then grilled on the barbecue for about 10 or 15 min. on the cool part of the grill. Delicious little side!

I have an aversion to very hot things and I didn't find the cherry bombs hot at all, just tasty. I will be putting more of these plants in my garden next year along with the tomatillos.

Sponsored