Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill106

Lemon Drop color?

Bill106
9 years ago

This is the first time I've grown Lemon Drops. The only color change I see on maturing fruit is a darkening grayish red,(approx. 3 weeks). Nothing close to yellow. The pods are not rotting and seem healthy. I've done some searches and have not come up with anything that would suggest a variant strain. I bought the seeds at fleet farm off a rack, however don't recall the brand. Any thoughts?

Comments (15)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Looks like sun spotting to me, no worries, it's not colorization.

NECM

• Bill106
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK thanks NECM

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Where's your Zone 4, North Mid-US or Canada?

• Bill106
    Original Author
    9 years ago

southeastern Wisconsin

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

southeastern Wisconsin EEEWWWW!

Expecting another Polar Vortex blast out there this winter? I'm in the NE.

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 16:51

• Bill106
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sure hope not. You folks can really get hammered over there too.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Talking about Lemon Drop Color:

Mine are just starting to get yellow.

How long the process will take ?

Here is a not-so-good picture. The yellow pod on upper right hand corner. The main plant is actually a Thai Hot.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

The warmer it is, the more quickly they turn yellow. I've had mine go from green to yellow in just a few days, in 100 degree heat...

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I'm in 5b, waiting for my bumper crop of Lemon Drops to turn yellow.
    It's going to be close, I'm afraid.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Thanks guys.
    Since I've got a starter , I am hoping that the rest will follow suit. They have been in mature size for a good while.

The next thing to find out will be: How do the taste other than just being hot. I know Bruce is a big fan of them.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I'm in zone 6a and my plant is almost done. Been harvesting for over a month.

{{gwi:125830}}

Grown in fabric pots with pine bark, peat, DE and compost. Organic fertilizer only. Inoculated with bacteria and mycorrhizae fungi. The plant still has 50-75 pods left. Most are ripe, I need to harvest again! Been gone a few days. I powdered most of them, will be freezing the rest. I would say I harvested about 150 so far. Running out of time here, maybe a month left before frost.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 2:51

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Lemon Drop Sauce
    1-cup grated carrot
    2-cup dried or fresh lemon drops. Crumble the dried. You can use grocery store habaneros too.
    1/3 cup chopped garlic
    1-1/2-cups lime juice
    1-cup water
    3-teaspoons table salt
    1-tablespoon sugar
    Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, then cover and turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool. Dump into blender and blend on high for two minutes. If the dried lemon drops donâÂÂt make it yellow enough, add a teaspoon of turmeric.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Thanks for the recipe! I made one sauce vineger based, this looks a lot different, worth a try and I certainly have enough pods!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good for you Drew. You are on your way.
    Since my previous post, I've couple more pods turning yell. So I remain hopeful. Mine is a smaller plant , not as big as Drew's. But I'll get enough pods for a batch of hot sauce. Or maybe dry them.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Once they start turning the go fast, so you should be OK. Some of my peppers did well, other not so well. For whatever reason this one grew really well. I just harvested over 50 of them a few minutes ago. I'm going to freeze. Next batch i'll make that hot sauce. I still have some from the other recipe, here it is,,

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Drop Hot Sauce

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area