Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon Drop color?

Posted by Bill106 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 13:24

This is the first time I've grown Lemon Drops. The only color change I see on maturing fruit is a darkening grayish red,(approx. 3 weeks). Nothing close to yellow. The pods are not rotting and seem healthy. I've done some searches and have not come up with anything that would suggest a variant strain. I bought the seeds at fleet farm off a rack, however don't recall the brand. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon Drop color?

Looks like sun spotting to me, no worries, it's not colorization.

NECM

o

OK thanks NECM

o

Where's your Zone 4, North Mid-US or Canada?

o

southeastern Wisconsin

o

southeastern Wisconsin EEEWWWW!

Expecting another Polar Vortex blast out there this winter? I'm in the NE.

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 16:51

o

I sure hope not. You folks can really get hammered over there too.

o

Talking about Lemon Drop Color:

Mine are just starting to get yellow.

How long the process will take ?

Here is a not-so-good picture. The yellow pod on upper right hand corner. The main plant is actually a Thai Hot.

o

The warmer it is, the more quickly they turn yellow. I've had mine go from green to yellow in just a few days, in 100 degree heat...

o

I'm in 5b, waiting for my bumper crop of Lemon Drops to turn yellow.
It's going to be close, I'm afraid.

o

Thanks guys.
Since I've got a starter , I am hoping that the rest will follow suit. They have been in mature size for a good while.

The next thing to find out will be: How do the taste other than just being hot. I know Bruce is a big fan of them.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 2:33

I'm in zone 6a and my plant is almost done. Been harvesting for over a month.
 photo peppers018.jpg photo 004-7.jpg
 photo 002-14.jpg

Grown in fabric pots with pine bark, peat, DE and compost. Organic fertilizer only. Inoculated with bacteria and mycorrhizae fungi. The plant still has 50-75 pods left. Most are ripe, I need to harvest again! Been gone a few days. I powdered most of them, will be freezing the rest. I would say I harvested about 150 so far. Running out of time here, maybe a month left before frost.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 2:51

o

Lemon Drop Sauce
1-cup grated carrot
2-cup dried or fresh lemon drops. Crumble the dried. You can use grocery store habaneros too.
1/3 cup chopped garlic
1-1/2-cups lime juice
1-cup water
3-teaspoons table salt
1-tablespoon sugar
Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, then cover and turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool. Dump into blender and blend on high for two minutes. If the dried lemon drops don’t make it yellow enough, add a teaspoon of turmeric.

o

Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 8:51

Thanks for the recipe! I made one sauce vineger based, this looks a lot different, worth a try and I certainly have enough pods!

o

Good for you Drew. You are on your way.
Since my previous post, I've couple more pods turning yell. So I remain hopeful. Mine is a smaller plant , not as big as Drew's. But I'll get enough pods for a batch of hot sauce. Or maybe dry them.

o

Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 14:12

Once they start turning the go fast, so you should be OK. Some of my peppers did well, other not so well. For whatever reason this one grew really well. I just harvested over 50 of them a few minutes ago. I'm going to freeze. Next batch i'll make that hot sauce. I still have some from the other recipe, here it is,,

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Drop Hot Sauce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here