Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleekit

Storing peppers for mash question...

sleekit
11 years ago

I have a lot of peppers ripening that I started kind of late and I'm planning to make a mash out of them. Some ripe pods have already gone in the freezer but I haven't saved any seeds from the ones I want to grow next year. Namely king naga, chocolate scotch bonnet and goronong. I'm assuming the freezing/ thawing process isn't ideal for keeping seeds (correct me if I'm wrong), so is there any reason I can't cut some in half, deseed them and toss the halves in the freezer bag until I have enough for my mash? Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

With the flesh exposed they will be more subject to freezer burn, but otherwise I don't see a problem.

• sleekit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks DM. They're going through a food processor so I don't think a little freezer burn is going to make much difference, and I don't need to do it with all the peppers, just a choice few. Cheers mate.

• romy6
    11 years ago

Actually processing them before freezing makes it a hell of a lot easier than freezing and then cutting up.

I hate cutting up mushy pods especially when they squirt juice in your eyes. Doesn't feel very good:)

• simsedward
    11 years ago

I second what Romy said- If I freeze peppers I always seed them first. Nothing worse that trying to cut something with the consistency of a mashed potato.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

If you have enough to start a mash you can whenever then keep adding to the mash as you get more.

Just remember if you do that you will need to add the proper amount of brine/salt.

freezing works well though if you have a vacuum sealer they'll last a bit longer before getting freezer burn, if you dont have a sealer than try removing as much air out of the bags as possible

-Chris

• jp10550
    11 years ago

Why are you even freezing them? Why not just go ahead and cut them up and put them in a jar and let them start fermenting? I personally don't like running them through a food processor, just cut up with scissors. I pick once a week and just add fresh on top of the already fermenting ones until the jar is full and then start next one. Just my two cents worth.

• sleekit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I freeze because I've taken the same approach to mashing as I do to homebrewing. Fermentation lock and all. Once the mash has been started I don't open it for at least a month. A quick spin through the food processor gets a nice chunky consistency and is less work than the scissor or knife technique. I then put them in a canning jar, top with salt and boil that to kill any bad stuff. Once it cools I add my LAB, stir it in and top it with a fermentation lock. I've made some great mashes so far, and it's if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of thing now. Romy6 and simsedward bring up a good point though, chunkifying those bad boys before freezing would make things easier. Also thanks to homefry319 for the tip on vacuum sealing. Love this forum.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

sleekit, Where do you get the LAB? It's basically equivalent to yeast in beer, right? I have always been curious about fermenting peppers, but, never really researched it.

• sleekit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey tsheets. Sorry for the late reply. Post got pushed off the first page. Just google "lactobacillus acidophilus pills". It's quite similar to beer yeast in how it works, but instead of making alcohol and CO2, it makes lactic acid and CO2. You can also harvest it from live culture yogurt and kimchi. It's all the same stuff. I got 3 bottles for $6 from puritan's pride (I think). The pills are easily pulled apart and you dump the contents into your mash, stir, cover and put somewhere dark. LAB needs the same conditions as ale yeast to thrive. Check every once in a while for hair mold and scrape it off if you need to. If you have any questions just make a post or email me. I'd be happy to help and I'm sure some of the wonderful people on this forum would too.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Thanks, sleekit! One bullet point I saw while googling was "Supports the balance of intestinal flora" LOL

How do you know when it's fermented long enough? Or I guess, how do you let it go?

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert