Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john11840

Naga Jolokia

John A
12 years ago

This is my first year to grow Naga Jolokias. I thought they were supposed to be super hot. I harvested my first ones today and they weren't nearly as hot as the habs, chocolate scotch bonnets or aji umbas that I also harvested. Did I misunderstand how hot they were supposed to be?

John A

Comments (16)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Got any pics? Could they be the PC-1, perhaps?

I haven't harvested my Nagas yet, but the pods look the same as my Bih Jolokia and possibly
    my Dorset Naga, too (pods are too small to tell).

Josh

• User
    12 years ago

I agree with Josh, you may be growing the Naga Jolokia PC-1. It is a C. Frutescens variety and grows like a Thai (fruit pointing up).

The *hot* Naga Jolokia is a C. Chinense variety and its fruit looks like this:

Bill

12 years ago

Nice pic!

By the way, Bill, the seeds produced excellent plants!

Josh

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks Josh,

Nice to hear you were happy with the seed!

Bill

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have any ripe ones now, but when I do I take a picture. They don't look as wringled as yours, Bill, but they definitely don't point up like Thai hots. I'll come back as soon as I have a picture to show.
    John A

• rdback
    12 years ago

John,

Here's a pic of the Naga Jolokia PC-1, just for reference. Very prolific plant. Hotter than a Cayenne. Makes a good powder.

Rick

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rick, but it's definitely not that.
    John A

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

My PC1 were more like shorter Cayenne pods.3-5 inches long and pendant.
    BUT they claim there is a Frutescens and Annuum.
    Mine were Frutescens according to the seed pack.

See link below.

My red and purple ones were like the purple ones in this data base.

Here is a link that might be useful: PC1,Purple Naga Jolokia

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK - Now that the hurricane has passed, I have a few that are ripening. I've never had any luck pasting photos on this site so below is a link to Photobucket. Do those look lile Nagas?
    John A

Here is a link that might be useful: Naga Jolokia

• User
    12 years ago

It looks like a Habanero to me. Where did you get the seed?

Regarding posting photos, see link below.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting photos

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bill - I got the seed from Heather McDonald's trade last year. I also have red habaneros and these are more slender than the red habs.
    Thanks also for the photo pasting info. It still didn't work. A few questions:
    1. Do I include the brackets?
    2. In imgscr= is there a space between g&s?
    3. Can I past a whole folder or do the photos need to be separated into singles?
    Sorry to seem so dense. This has never worked for me.
    John A

• User
    12 years ago

Hi John,

Maybe the contributor unknowingly submitted seed from a pod that was cross pollinated or mis-labeled their pack?

Yes you need the angle brackets and yes there is a space between img & src.

The code example I posted is for an individual photo.

I got the url (internet location) for one of you photos, here is the line (code) I used to include it below:

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bill - I'll try again.

They are starting to look more like your photos, although smoother skin. You're right that they could be cross pollinated with something else.
    John A

• User
    12 years ago

Hey John,

I just noticed that your picture in my previous post shows up as "image moved or deleted"? It displayed fine when I checked it in preview prior to submitting? Curious, I'm wondering if it's a photobucket quirk. I use Flickr and never had this happen. Maybe another member who uses photobucket can chime in with some advice.

Anyhow back to the original topic, here are a few pictures for future reference:

Here's a shot of a few unripe Bih Jolokia pods from earlier this year. You can see the blistering / dimpling nicely on the kinked pod. It's just starting to develop on the other younger ones.

Here's a shot of the plant today. I've probably already harvested 40+ pods off it so far this season. It's a small plant because it's in a 2 gallon pot (sitting inside a 3 gallon pot I never got around to planting up to). In a 5 gallon pot it'll easily get 3 times as large in the first season.

Here's a shot I took a few years ago that illustrates the pod variations between three Naga varieties I grew that year. Top: Dorset Naga; Right: Bih Jolokia; Bottom/Left: Bhut Jolokia.

Bill

Ps. You have email

• John A
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the great photos, Bill. I gather from your notes that the term "Naga" is a generic one that applies to the entire species? Mine look exactly like the ones at the top of the plate you called Dorset Naga.

I would also be interested if there is some issue with Photobucket that prevents copying from there. It would be so easy if we could just cut & paste a jpeg.

John A

12 years ago

I'm growing four related varieties this year, thanks to Bill (and Hippy Seed).
    So far, the Dorset (Bill) and the Morich (Hippy Seed) have very similar looking pods -
    fatter at the shoulder, and not as long as the Bhut or Bih pods.

Josh