Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zakker

Cayenne Peppers - Fresh?

zakker
17 years ago

I am wondering if anyone would be interested in selling fresh RED cayenne peppers, preferably a "bulk" of them? My plants did not fair to well this year and I would like to make another batch of my hot sauce. I cannot use dry or ground for my recipe.

Thx

Comments (12)

• legsbig
    17 years ago

Friend, will you post exactly how you make your hot sauce with cayenne peppers? im going to be growing some very soon and i would love your hints and tips and even your recipe.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

• habs1
    17 years ago

you can purchase all kinds of peppers over the internet. if you search around you can get some low prices. you can purchase

whole fresh peppers
    whole dry peppers
    crushed dry peppers.
    dry pepper ground up into a powder.

for me cayenne is hot but little flavor. I much rather have say a habanero or even some mild ones with more flavor which I can then mix.

For my taste buds I find cayenne boring. but some people love it.

• web_of_hair
    17 years ago

I find that Cayenne peppers are best when dried....

Tabascos and rippened Jalapenos are best for sauces....

Can't wait to use my Jalabanero peppers in a sauce!!!

• legsbig
    17 years ago

Where can i purchase some fresh peppers on the internet? i cant find any right now. i found some but it says they are out of stock for the season.

i want some red carribean habaneros to age.

• zakker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My sauce is simple. I "juice" fresh red cayenne, mix with white distilled vinegar and kosher salt. Very simple.

I really like the heat of habs, but not much on their flavor.

I have been searching the net for 2 days for fresh cayenne or tabasco, with no luck. Dried, yes, but fresh forget about it....

• legsbig
    17 years ago

zakker, what proportions do you use ?

• legsbig
    17 years ago

I live in Houston and there are none at the grocery stores around here right now.

I will find a vegetable wholesaler, thanks for the idea.

Dont people grow them year round?

you dont need a season to grow habaneros here i don't think. it never freezes.

• zakker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

legsbig - I'll get back to you when I find the amounts.

• shelbyguy
    17 years ago

you live in michigan. meijer has fresh cayenne.

• habs2u
    17 years ago

dry peppers should work just as well in sauce. some professional sauces are made with dry peppers. they soak in the vinegar and come back to fresh basically. dont worry about it. just get them.

you can first soak in water but I would go directly to vinegar with dry ones.

• rbnj_9
    6 years ago

Hi, I will have a new crop in the spring of 2018, if your interested let me know,

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH