Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this disease.....

Posted by peppernovice 7 b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 14:11

I'm sure most people will say BER. I don't believe that's what this is. I've noticed this on several peppers(different varieties). I've also noticed I have 1 variety (datil cross)that is suffering from internal issues. Is there anything I can do to correct it this late in the season? It's frustrating to see all these ripe peppers that are affected by whatever this is!

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this disease.....

I'm so frustrated that I forgot to add the pic!

o

I'm not sure it's a disease. The lower pod looks like it has 3 round bites taken out of the skin. I'm thinking it might be a pest. I have earwigs taking bites out of my pods and they basically rod starting in the exposed area. Once rot sets in they move to a new area or if the rot has spread, to a new pod.

I'll be posting a few shots in my grow log thread for tsheets on damage area types.

Here's a cropped shot of one I posted earlier. The shot shows various wound areas and rot setting in.

o

Thanks Bill. What do you use to treat the plants? I've mostly just sprayed with insecticidal soap. I've used Sevins Dust on my tomatoes in the past, but I know a lot of folks here prefer not to use it. Is there something in the middle that would work? Thanks.
Tim

o

I use organic Diatomaceous earth.

Spread it around soil in pots and around pot bases. Re-apply after rain or watering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diatomaceous earth

o

I would assume the seeds would still be okay to harvest?

Tim

o

Sorry, just saw your follow-up.

If the rot hasn't spread to the placenta/seeds then yes, harvest.

o

Yeah, earwigs are punks, killed a nest when digging a hole for a seedling in the start of the season. I also noticed a lot of baby black stink bugs around my plants they damage peppers also and cause rot after they pierce the pod. I can't stand to see a pod go to waste because of rot, at least if they want to take a bite save me the suffering of seeing a pod rot and eat the whole thing so I don't know it's gone.

Mark

o

It wouldn't be so bad if they would just eat one or two whole pods. Instead they would rather take one bite out of 15 or 20. It drives me nuts!

Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here