Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoontok

Pepperoncini growing peppers like mad!

shoontok
13 years ago

Pepperoncini plants have kicked into overdrive! I got maybe 20 or so of these scattered about the yard in various beds and these guys are producing peppers like crazy and the peppers grow very quickly once set.

Guess i gotta research some quick and easy pickling techniques. Cause im gonna have my hands full with these in the coming weeks.

Comments (29)

• hubris007
    13 years ago
  • shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Damnit, my ex-fiance dropped my 400 dollar sony off the back of the Harley last summer and then it seems she took the cheap Kodak replacement with her when we broke up, damnit again!

Guess ill have to look into ebay for another camera, im hurting for cash.

Anyone wanna buy some Pepperoncini peppers? ;)

• hubris007
    13 years ago

I still take all my photos with an old canon A40. Takes great pics if you know how to use it. For 8 bucks, you too could get one on ebay. :)

• sambo725
    13 years ago

hubris you don't have to be such an as. there are plenty of threads without pictures.

I have been looking for a good pepperoncini recipe for a while and have not found one. Its seems like it is a closely guarded secret that no body wants to give up.

I just use white vinegar and add some hot peppers in there to spice it up a little.

If you have no idea on how to pickle order canning and preserving for dummies... Best $11.00 i ever spent.

Sam

• hubris007
    13 years ago

Just because there are many, doesn't make it right. I'm serious about the $8 camera. These are pix taken with a cheap tripod and a 2 megapixel Canon powershot A40:

{{gwi:1204861}}

{{gwi:1204862}}

{{gwi:1204863}}

{{gwi:1204864}}

{{gwi:1204866}}

It makes me chuckle when people think you can't take a decent shot without a 10 megapixel camera.

Sorry if my urge to see a fellow gardener's peperoncinni in full fruit irritates you.

(Heh, i'm just jerkin' you around. To anyone who doesn't like the "this thread is worthless without pics" icon, it's a joke. Chillax.)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I appreciate pics....!
    I already posted these, but I'm sure Shoon won't mind.
    This is the second year for this Pepperoncini. I think it's doing better this year.
    I don't have a recipe, unfortunately. I usually just recycle a jar of store-bought Pepperoncini.
    Add a little Spanish olive oil, black pepper, a few Hungarian wax peppers, garlic cloves,
    and of course Pepperoncinis.

Josh

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thx Josh ya posted some pics that resemble my plants :) and they still have major flowering too.

And Hubris those are some beautiful non peperonci photos u took with yer 8 dollar camera.

Oh yeah. Josh, i have one more question bro. When u said u recycled the store bought peperoncini jar... Did u meen u saved whatever liquid contents the store bought peppers were in? or did u dump it all out and just re-use the jar after contents were used up and re-fill it with olive oil and the other ingredients?

Thx
    Jim

13 years ago

Yeah, exactly, I re-used the liquid and the jar.
    Poor man's pepperoncini, I guess ;)

Josh

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thx Josh. Thats a good idea. I often re-use pickle jars and the juices inside and add fresh cucumber to them and some extra garlic and other spices to make my cukes into pickles after a week or so sitting in the juice.

Im wondering how big these peperoncini will get or if they do change color from that normal light green im so used to seeing em. So far ive been picking all of em at around 2 and a half inches and never let them go any further. Will they get bigger or change color? or get overipened if i leave em longer?

Also my daughter seems to like eating them fresh picked off the plant so thats another reason they arent getting bigger :)

13 years ago

They'll definitely turn red if you let them ;)

Josh

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

heres yer f'ing picture hubris!

I punctured holes in all 31 of them and then placed them in a cleaned out old pasta jar. boiled up a 3 to 1 white vinegar and water mix also with a little bit of salt and black peppercorns and then added that to the jar. It is now cooling down and i have some pickled pepperoncini!

• hubris007
    13 years ago

VERY pretty. Why'd you decide to pick them so early?

13 years ago

Nice work! Are those all from one plant?!

Hubris, I've never seen a ripe, pickled pepperoncini.
    Maybe the texture is better while the pods are still green....

Josh

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nope not all from one plant. I have about 15 of these plants in various beds about the yard and there is probably well over 200 more smaller peppers and lots more flower buds too.

Yeah the pickled pepperoncini's that i always boughten were always the size and color of the ones i picked. Maybe they have a little more crunch to em. Guess i should let some turn red just to experiment.

They were chilling in the fridge all night, and i just tried one and they are yummy. Great for salads or sandwich toppers :)

Cant wait to try this on some hotter peppers that i have. Maybe Hungarian wax, serrano or jalapenos would be good. Or them wicked habaneros :)

• genoprizebull
    13 years ago

Hubris- those pics were good enough for me to buy a powershot A40

• hubris007
    13 years ago

Heh. Let me know how you like it. I highly recommend reading the manual that comes with it. It's very helpful.

• kennyfan
    13 years ago

Wow! By chance do you have any of these seeds to share? I have never grown these but I would like to this next year.

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep i have some seeds if ya want. Email me at Shoontok@gmail.com.

Jim

• sworegonjim
    13 years ago

I know this posting is several months old, but I just came across it today.

Shoontok, do you remember the name of your particular pepperoncini plant? I would like to buy some seed. Sure do like the store bought ones. But, I am certain they are better grown at home.

Here is a recipe I got out of "The Complete Chile Pepper Book".

Pickled Green Chiles

2 cups white vinegar, 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp dill seed, 1/2 tsp mustard seed, 3 cloves of garlic - cut into slivers, whatever peppers you like...they call for 8 or 10 New Mexican green chiles - roasted and peeled and cut into strips.

Combine the vinegar, sugar, and spices in a pan and simmer over low heat for five minutes. Put the chiles into small sterilized jars, cover with the liquid and add some garlic to each jar. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 3 days before eating.

Sounds like it should work for pepperoncinis.

Thanks.

• sworegonjim
    13 years ago

Actually, this recipe is probably better fitted to pepperoncini.

Pickled Peppers

2 pounds of pepperoncini peppers - whole (or, jalapenos, serranos, yellow wax, cherry, habanero, etc.), 4 sterilized pint jars, BRINE - 3 cups water and 1 cup pickling salt, PICKLING SOLUTION - 3 cups water, 3 cups of 5 to 6% distilled white vinegar, 3 tsp pickling salt

Combine the salt and water and cover the chiles with the mixture. Place a plate on the chiles in the solution, in order to keep the chiles submerged in the brine. Soak the chiles overnight to crisp them. Drain, rinse well and dry them.

Poke a couple of holes in the top of each chile and pack them tightly into the sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headroom.

Combine the water, vinegar and salt in a pan. Bring the solution to a boil, then pour it over the chiles, leaving no headroom. Removed trapped air bubbles.

Store in a cool, dark place for 4 to 6 weeks before serving.

Hope this works - sounds good.

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sworeggonjim

Sorry, i dont have any seeds from last year :(. It was my first grow season ever and i saved seeds from the biggest pod i had, but it was green. I guess i should of saved seeds from a red pod, even if it was smaller. I learned a lesson. Those seeds from the green pod dried out to a slighlty brownish color and dont germinate :( I dont remember the type of pepperoncini it was. I bought it from a nursery/farmer market in a seed packet display.

Im growing some pepperoncini this year only because a friend of mine from California sent me some seeds from his plants from last year.

Those look like nice pickling recipes. I have heard the term "pickling salt" used on these forums but never actually used it. Is it different then regular iodized salt or sea salt? And where does one buy that stuff?

Thx for posting those recipes!

Jim

• sworegonjim
    13 years ago

Hey, thanks for the info.

Believe it or not, the pickling salt should be in any large grocery store chain, right there with the spices and of course - the salt. I found it at Albertson's and Safeway in my southern Oregon town. Canning salt and pickling salt are interchangeable, so look for either one. The canning salt I found was in a box container.

I looked up the difference between canning/pickling salt and table salt. The salt is the same, but table salt has an anti-caking additive. That additive will make the liquid look cloudy and unappitizing when used for canning or pickling.

Kosher salt is coarsely ground, so, when measured out, you will actually end up with less salt due to the large grind. What I read said 1-cup plus two tablespoons of Kosher salt, equals 1-cup of pickling/canning/table salt.

Learn something new everyday...

Thanks.

Jim G

• tivo532
    12 years ago

Thanks for info here. I was looking on what to do with my Pepperoncini. Looks like my peppers are way bigger than the ones from store. Comments?

{{gwi:1204869}}>

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

jim,
    was reading through this thread and wished I had seen it earlier, depending on whether you like the real crispy imported pepperoncini or the softer papa johns box style pepperoncinis, both are delicious in my opinion, because they both taste like pepperoncini. first any salt will work, but besides the anticaking agents in kosher and iodized salt both have iodine which when added to vinegar will taste extra bitter, thus the addition of sugar water, also if you look closely alot of pickled peppers have yellow#5 or #6 dyes added to them, particularly, pepperoncini and banana peppers, it does give them a slightly more appealing color especially the softer type, which are blanched in boiling vinegar water, then allowed to cool in the solution then bottled thus softening them and delivering more of the brine flavor and pulling a little of the bitter bell flavor out of them.which ever way you like them this is how I do mine and it will work either way:
    1 qt jar packed full of peppers
    add 1/2 cup salt( i only use sea salt,whether it be fine or coarse ground for this i use coarse)
    1/4 cup sugar
    fill w/ hot tap water and refridgerate overnight
    pour out liquid and fill w/ cold tap water several times to rinse salt

1 cup cider vinegar
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup water
    1 tblsp minced garlic
    1 tblsp sea salt (fine)
    1 tsp coarse ground peppercorn( i use the five peppercorn melange but black works great too)
    2 tsps sugar
    1 tsp ground tumeric
    now I like to bring the mixture to a boil pour it over the peppers and them let them cool in it, or put it in cold if u r canning using a hot water bath
    but u can add the mixture cold and let sit in the fridge for a week, the obvious advantage to using the heated method is ur peppers will be pickled in a couple of hours as opposed to several days, as they are done as soon as they cool! hope your peppers are doing great!
    paul

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Hey, How hot are these fellas?
    Bruce

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

milder than youre avg jalapeno,

• nc_crn
    12 years ago

I hate even help bump this with non-topic info, but...

"These are pix taken with a cheap tripod and a 2 megapixel Canon powershot A40"

I have this camera and I have to say...much like a lot of Canon point-and-shoot cameras...the color quality is nearly dead-on and it's got a really great close-up feature.

It's a bit bulky/heavy compared to newer models, but if anyone ever needs a kicking-around camera on the cheap and can find one used...it's a really nice one. They go for around $20-$30 depending on how hard you look around. They take great outside photos, especially.

I carry a Canon A3100 12mp camera around these days because it's a lot more lightweight and I picked it up on sale for $90 at the time.

12 years ago

Great recipe, Paul!

Bruce, Pepperoncinis (the ones I've grown) have a very mild heat.
    I think the Scoville rating is somewhere between 600 - 1,500 units. Very mild.
    I think they're a great alternative to sun-dried tomatoes.

Josh

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Ah! I think I have pepperonicinis from my cousin, he said they were pimentos! Gonna have to pickle some with banana peppers, and maybe 1 hot serrano or cayenne in the jar.

Paul - why the sugar in the brining solution? I would just add it to the vinegar solution (though DH doesn't like sweet pickles at all, I'd just skip it personally).

DH likes this one - I've posted b4 (From The Joy of Pickling)

2 pounds small chile peppers
    8 small garlic cloves
    8 whole allspice berries (skip if you can't find - ground spices will cloud the brine)
    16 black (or other) peppercorns
    2 small bay leaves, torn in half
    2 cups 5% vinegar (we like white wine vinegar)
    4 tsp pickling salt
    1/4C olive oil (optional, I don't use on jals but sounds good on pepperonicini rings, DO NOT INCREASE!)

Rinse the peppers, slit them, trim stems. Divide garlic and dry spices among 4 pint jars. Add the peppers. Bring remaining ingredients (except the oil) to a boil, pour hot liquid over peppers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace, then pour 1 TBSP olive oil (optional) into each jar. Process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Store in cool dark place for 3+ weeks to allow flavor to develop.

This might be good to try

Pickled Roasted Peppers

1 3/4C white wine or distilled vinegar (5%)
    1 Tbsp sugar
    2 Tbsp pickling salt
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    3.5 lbs bell, pimiento, Anaheim (or Numex?) peppers

1. Roast, peel, core, and seed the peppers. Pack into pint or half-pint jars.
    2. Bring vinegar, sugar, salt, and garlic to a boil in nonreactive pan. Pour hot liquid over the peppers leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
    3. Process 10 minutes in BWB. Store for 3+ weeks before eating.

Author (Linda Ziedrich) says the flavor of roasted peppers is heightened by full-strength vinegar. She also says that brining (as Paul does) intensifies the flavor - here's her version:

Short-brined Pickled Peppers

4 lbs peppers
    1 1/4C pickling salt
    1 gallon plus 1.5C of water
    2 Tbsp sugar
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 Tbsp coarsely grated horseradish
    5.5C white wine vinegar or distilled vinegar (5%)

1. If using small whole peppers, slit them twice lengthwise. If using large peppers, core, seed, and half or quarter them. In a large bowl or nonreactive pot, stir the salt into 1 gallon water until dissolved. Add the peppers and let stand 12 -18 hours.

2. Drain and rinse the peppers, then drain again. In nonreactive saucepan, bring vinegar, sugar, garlic, horseradish, and 1.5C of water to boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

3. Pack the peppers into 6 pint jars. Pour hot liquid over, leaving 1/2" headspace. Process 10 minutes in BWB.

4. Store for at least 3 weeks before eating.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths