Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My 'planted way too close together' peppers

Posted by jennyzone5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 14:27

Not knowing any better, I planted my peppers less than 6" apart. The Jalepenos aren't doing well because they are now in the shade from the Cayennes but otherwise I'm not seeing any issues with producing! Hope the pictures work!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My 'planted way too close together' peppers

nice looking harvest, will be some nice eat'n!

o

Gotta be careful some peppers can cross pollinate. Doesn't matter though if you don't plan on collecting seeds.

o

I'm always tempted to squeeze a few more plants into my pepper patch.....
but by the end of the season, I'm very glad that I didn't! Of course,
peppers have a mind of their own it seems, and I do have plants that end up touching.
18 - 22 inches apart is a general spacing rule that has served me well.

Josh

o

In my hot climate the peppers that are close together shade the ground around each other and cope with the heat much better than lone plants where the sun hits the soil from the sides. I suppose mulching has a similar effect, but if you are limited on space do not be afraid to plant your peppers around 12" apart, especially annuums. They will need support as they will end up more leggy as they fight with each other to reach the sun.

Phil

o

I have sandy soil which heats up and dries out quickly. Intensive close planting works best for my soil since close plants shade the soil. You don't want them to overlap though, just close enough to close the canopy.

If you are on a more water retentive soil, I would not do this though. It is only an advantage with dry sandy soils.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here