Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Anyne getting seeds ging this time of year?

andyandy
10 years ago

it occurred to me that this may be a good time to get some plants for next summer going. There is still enough summer to get them going and they will be small enough to sit in a window all winter. Does anyone else do that?

Comments (18)

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Cool idea. I am interested to see what others say. Sounds smart and feasible to me.

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Coincidentally, I'm trying this for the first time this year, starting 9 different seeds on the first of each month from now until Feb/March 2014, just to see the progression. So far from July 1 I have cheiro recife, short yellow tabasco and chocolate habs seedlings in 3" pots.

I was wondering myself whether I should leave them in my grow-room indoors or expose the seedlings to the elements now and pull them in in the fall. Perhaps that will be another variable in my experiment.

I'd love to hear if others do this and what the results were.

• robshaylia
    10 years ago

actually that's exactly what I'm doing, I've got a handful of "adult" plants under lights right now along with a couple of seed trays, I figure with what time we have left they will be big enough to top and over winter for next season

• andyandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lets keep each other updated, I need to buy some seeds. I have several small plants that someone was good enough to give me. I was hoping they might come in this summer but the weather is not cooperating. we've been running 10-20 degrees below normal here (SE Michigan) and it has been dropping into the 50s at night. No end in sight for the cool temps.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I've got some seeds leftover from March so I think I'll join in on this experiment!

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I started these April 3 they were almost 1ft 8 weeks later. 4ft now and most likely 5 by months end . Why spend an extra 6 months . PLANT STRESS- SUPPLEMENTAL LIGHTING-and room In that amount of time your plants would be in 5 gal pots by planting time. If you have the time and space go for it but I see a need for supplemental light that will use a lot of electric ,I started mine in a window with 4ft Agrosun bulbs

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Getting peppers

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Getting peppers

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

and more

• robshaylia
    10 years ago

Well I know I don't have the growing season you do, or luck that you have ether, so I have to get a jump start on these guys if I want any decent results.

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Hi Pepperdave - I absolutely love your pepper field. Do you hand water each plant or is it on a drip system? Also, would you mind posting a picture of how you keep each row up.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Kasie

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

looks like a sprinkler on the tripod there its maybe set to only water that area back n forth ....just guessing ...neat set up

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I planted 6 plants in a row. Used 8 stakes per row 4 stakes will cover 2 plants I rip down sheets into strips crisscross from stake to stake to separate each plant then surround them in rows using the same torn sheets Once a week I tie up any new growth It gives me rows to walk through and no broken branches breaking from the weight peppers works good I do tomatoes the same way and will never use cages again.My grape tomatoes get 12ft or more every year this way.I have to make my own stakes out of 2\4s to get the length I need with a table saw. It saves a lot of $ making your own. My pepper stakes are 5ft . I think I should have made them 6 but you can always put on an extension using wood screws Ive had to do this every year with tomatoes Support your branches having one break full of fruit is always a disappointment

• andyandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

great pictures. I'm getting some Jalapenos and serranos going in the next few days

• SproutingLexi
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I'm completely new to growing peppers. We just moved to San Antonio in mid July so I went ahead and started 4 jalapeño seeds on July 20th. I'm not sure what will become of this. I have them outside in containers. Three germinated and are about to have their first set of true leaves any moment now. I can see them coming in the middle, but they haven't unrolled yet. Anyway, I have to say they look a little lighter green than I'd like them to be and a little taller than I'd prefer. I think the heat is too much for them right now. But I'm very curious if I'll be able to get a crop before the "winter" hits... or maybe just bring them in and have a head-start next spring? I'll keep following this thread to see how others are doing.

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Thank you for explaining your procedure Pepperdave.

Kasie

• don555
    10 years ago

I start peppers in summer, but it's for a winter crop under shop lights, not to overwinter and plant out next summer. No reason one couldn't keep the plants going I suppose, but that's not how I do it.

In late July (ie a few weeks ago) I planted 5 seeds of Naga and 5 seeds of some kind of very hot but late ripening Thai-type pepper. They have come up but don't yet have their first true leaves.

Last year I started Nagas indoors in early or mid-July and most ripened in November and December. I don't keep the plants going until spring because I'm too far north for them to do anything outdoors. But indoors...

• SproutingLexi
    10 years ago

these are some jalapenos I started on July 20th. Not super happy with the color, but not sure what is it that they're not getting enough or getting too much. They are a little illuminated in this picture though, they're not quite so electro-green in real life :)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?