Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperchuck

The Beast

pepperchuck
9 years ago

This plant has officially topped me in height!

Comments (13)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

What the heck is it and what is it's history? What do you attribute to the spectacular growth? How well is it producing fruit?
    Awesome how you trained it to grow sideways and how you are able to stand horizontal without falling down.
    Bruce

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Great, I laughed loudly and I am at work. Now have to explain what I was laughing at, and then explain why I wasn't actually working.

:)

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

History: Seed was sown January~ish. I got the seeds from the last seed swap that was held here from pepperdave. Went into the greenhouse early-mid March.

What is it: The seeds were labeled as chocolate ghost but it is producing red pods for me, so maybe some sort of cross or a different phenotype that decided to show itself. The pods are also a whole lot gnarlier than your normal ghost. Honestly to me they look like a choco ghost but red. Definitely no complaints though!! I mean... Look at that thing!

Why I think it became a beast: Good soil, dirt is the name of our game, whether we grow organically or not, we talk about it for months and try to improve it every year. I used a few applications of worm tea (no foliar feeding, just around the base, and brewed, not drippings from the worm bin). Before planting I amended the soil with compost and a good bit of rabbit manure (my dad raises them so I have a nearly endless supply of it).

Fruit production: I've been pulling 10-15 every week or two, but with last weeks slightly cooler temps, I noticed a huge pod set that I will have to figure out what to do with in a bit.

Training and athletics: Really good grow lights and strong legs

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you for the pic flip!

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Mine got that big last year. I planted more myself and can make sure you get brown next year. None of my Brown ripened yet so I have no idea if Mine are brown or not. I have Black nagas though.Wait till trade time I have 15 different super hots and will share seed. My peppers were not grown in isolation so that might explain the red color.
    Nice plant

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent! I am planning on converting even more of my yard into garden so i will have a whole lotta space for more and new. Certainly no complaint about the genes going on! I like the OP way, really cool things tend to happen with it. I'm no purist, hot is hot, and I like hot!
    Looking forward to the next seed swap too. I have/will have a lot I can contribute this year!

Btw Pepperdave, i got A WHOLE BUNCH of seed from you from the last swap! I know you didn't have any direct control over it but thank you very much all the same!!

• User
    9 years ago

That's a good name for it! Awesome job!
    Esox07 good one! : )
    Randal

• Orekoc
    9 years ago

Well, untill we know how tall you are, that may not be saying much. At least it doesn't in my case!

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the parent plant from last year. If you really want to try the brown I can send you some once they start ripening up in a few weeks. Just send me an Email once I post some pictures this year. Im getting other peppers but not Brown Ghosts yet. I have a variety of 7 pods,scorpions,Chocolate Morugas, Peach and Red Ghosts but no browns yet ,Just a matter of time . Plenty of pod set though.

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look what I found in the back corner of the the garden :) still a little green, it fell off when I was checking it out

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the offer as well! I'm gonna wait a little bit so I have a better variety to offer in return, but there is plenty of time till its seed sowing time again

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Ummm...

which one is the Beast?