Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinezone7

Aji Colorado....help!

SunshineZone7
9 years ago

How long should it take for them to turn red? I think they have been green for about 6 weeks, maybe more!

Comments (19)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Pic is sideways.

Is the plant in the shade, overwatered, underfertilized, or all of the above?

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My guess is underfertilized because it looks underfertilized to me. I gave it some this morning. It has been given the same amount of fertilizer, water, sun as my cayenne peppers, lemmes italian peppers, sweet chocolate peppers, green apple eggplants, and ping tung long eggplant and all of those plants ate doing great and producing .

What do you think?

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Aji / Baccatum species take longer to ripen on average.

Since you've fertilized the plant this morning, there's nothing left to do except sit back and wait and make sure you don't over water ;)

The leftover small / green ones will make decent pickles a month from now btw, i wouldn't throw them away.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 17:07

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Agree with Josh.

How often you fertilize it? what ? at what strength ?
    Container plants need almost continuous fertilizing at a very low strength (1/4 to 1/3 strength).

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My guess is underfertilized because it looks underfertilized to me. I gave it some this morning. It has been given the same amount of fertilizer, water, sun as my cayenne peppers, lemmes italian peppers, sweet chocolate peppers, green apple eggplants, and ping tung long eggplant and all of those plants ate doing great and producing .

What do you think?

9 years ago

What type of fertilizer?
    If it's lacking essential nutrients, supplementation might be required.

Josh

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DR. EARTH Organic 3-3-3 liquid

Like I said all other container plants (peppers, eggplants) are doing fine. Does Aji Colorado have a special need I should know about?

Thanks so much :)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Try a higher Nitrogen fert. Recommended NPK ratio is 3:1:2 or some multiple thereof. Miracle Gro All Purpose is 24:8:16 so perfect. The extra N will green it up.

Dennis

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not support Scotts Miracle Grow so I will not use that. Anything organic from a company that is not in bed with Monsanto?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Organics and pots don't go together. Find some other inorganic with the 3:1:2 ratio. Your plant will thank you.

9 years ago

DM is right. If you've been using a 3-3-3, you've been providing too little Nitrogen, and too much Phosphorous and Potassium. Waste of money and, more importantly, leaching into the environment (if you're concerned about Monsanto, figured you might be opposed to excess nutrient run off, too).

Try some Fish Emulsion....it's organic, so it won't provide immediate results, but at least it's higher Nitrogen.

Josh

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

the ajis all seem to take longer.

Are you in a cool climate? my peppers started ripening really fast when i got 90+ temperatures.

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! Josh, yes I used fish emulsion also as a foliar feed....not often enough though.

I am still confused why the Aji Colorado looks so pale and the peppers wont ripen but the other peppers are fine.

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update

Leaves are darker and peppers are orange. They taste good but not hot yet. It is taking a long time, I hope they turn red before it gets cold out! Zone 7 md

• smokemaster_2007
    9 years ago

They don't look like Aji Colorado to me.

Do the buds have gold in them.
    They look more like a yellow wax or banana pepper type variety.

Mine were never yellow - went from green to red.

Here is a link that might be useful: mine looked like this

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Smokemaster....looks like you grew Aji Colorado Rojo...I different variety.

• smokemaster_2007
    9 years ago

What are those then?
    Posted they are waiting for red pods.

Looks to me like yellow is the final color...

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are Aji Colorado. They go from yellow to orange to red. They are orange now. I can take a pic tomorrow.

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See they are orange now :) sorry pic is sideways

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County