Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Red Super Hot

Posted by TomT226 8 (tdrathompson@hughes.net) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 15:09

Want to grow some red habs, or other red super-hots other than Bhuts, as I have plenty of those, but they're lacking in flavor.
Got the yellow salsa down, now I want to make some using just FLAVORFUL red habs (or others), carrots, garlic, salt, and lime juice.
Got plenty of Thai Hots, Pequins and Tepins, but looking for something more flavorful and hotter than those.
Maybe the "Congo: hab, as it's large and much hotter than the regular habs?
Needs to be as flavorful and hotter than the Marie Sharp's "Fiery Hot" commercial salsa.
Is there a red Scorpion? I like the Pepper Palace's "Trinidad Scorpion Stinger" sauce.
Thanks,
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Red Super Hot

Scorpions are red by default. It's the other colors that are the pretenders. But I've never heard them lauded for their exceptional flavor. (Few eaters can remember it.)

IMO Bhut Jolokia is the tastiest red superhot. After that I'd probably go Red Fatalii. But there are some 7 Pot advocates who might disagree.

This isn't something you're planning on doing this year, I hope.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 11:48

o

Interesting question, wondered myself, thanks Dennis.
Any other opinions?

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:52

o

I recently received an assortment of hot to super hot pods (from another Texas grower) that included red and yellow Congos. Beautiful pods, and the yellows weren't bad, but the reds tasted like charcoal lighter fluid that wasn't used up the previous hot summer. Same with the red Trinidad Peanuts.

I have Scorpions and Red Bhuts growing, but it will be at least another month before I get to taste those for the first time. So take my opinions with a grain of salt. ;)

o

My Ghost pepper plant is blooming like crazy! I have red ghost chilies and would like some ideas of where or who I can sell/trade perhaps my chilies.
Thanks!

o

TomT, in my extremely limited experience with super hots I prefer the yellows and even the chocolates over the reds when it comes to flavor. I am still waiting on my bhuts to ripen, but other than that I prefer the reaper. I know there is a lot of controversy with this variety, but the flavor is excellent even when the pods don’t look like they should. There isn’t that bitterness that a lot of red supers have either.

o

If you've got Red Bhuts, then you have the best Red superhot, in my opinion. I'll be trying the Carolina Reaper this season, so I will be able to compare later this month.

Josh

o

My experience with superhot variety is limited. I don't include habs as superhots.

So, I've had 4 different supers. Bhut, Naga Morich, A(what the folks here were calling it) Naga cross, and 7 Pot.

I THINK I'm partial to the Asian varieties as opposed to Caribbean/American varieties. I don't care for habs, and that's what the 7 pot reminded me of, but really painful. I think they're just too citrusy. On the other hand, the Bhuts and Nagas have a nice fruity berry flavor and I really can't tell the difference in flavor and aroma.

I'm all about the flavor. Don't get me wrong.. I love the heat that these superhots bring, but I don't need a Carolina Reaper or Moruga if it's going to make a sauce or dish that I find offputting.

I'll be growing out some unique crosses next year, so maybe my mind will be changed.

Kevin

o

Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll grow some red habs, and use those with some Bhuts.
DM,
Not for this year. Gonna dedicate a garden area to red habs, and maybe grow a couple of red Fatali. I've had the yellow ones before, and they're good too.
Gawd, I got Bhuts out the azz...

o

I made a sauce recently with some black habs and Walmart Fresnos. Very nice flavor blend, although the habs were a bit on the mild side. Coulda/shoulda added more. Will definitely be growing Fresnos next year.

o

You can always add mild ones with good flavor to the supers with heat. Of course, I am talking about making sauce here.

o

seysonn,
That's what I'm planning to do. Probably use the red habs and get the heat from Bhuts, like I do with my Numex Suave Orange habs. Probably up the carrot content, and add some mustard and turmeric.
You eat with yer eyes too...

o

Too many great supers .Trinidad Congo reds are not supers but plenty hot and a great tasting pepper .I made some opf my best sauce with some a few years back . You want extreme heat and flavor I agree the assam bhut's are very floral with very little earthiness. I just grew a choc bhut x yellow 7 x jonah( pictured below ) that is awesome and regular 7 pod jonah's by themselves are an amazing tasting pepper with 7 pot heat .

photo IMG_5551_zps146bdd7e.jpg

photo IMG_5554_zps23ac54de.jpg

o

Any updates?

NECM

o

I've tried just about every red super there is. Some just have a red taste that to me didn't stand out, regardless of the heat level. Some people will disagree with me but 7 pod Jonahs, and Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaws are like this. Carolina reapers are like this to me as well. I think both these morugas and Butch ts don't have a pleasant taste. To me the Red Brain Strains taste 25% hotter than than Morugas and the taste is great. My new favorite of all the peppers is the 7 pod Primo. It tastes 10% hotter than the reapers and the taste of the pepper just jumps out at you. I use Primo powder when I go to many different restaurants.

o

romy6,
Geez, that doesn't have many seeds, and has good size. How big does the bush get?
NECM,
Haven't really decided yet, but that 7 pod is lookin' better...

o

@Tom

The plant itself is about 3 feet tall and two feet wide . It could easily reach 5 or 6 feet in the right conditions. And there were more seeds under the placenta :)

o

my vote is for the red brain strain. hands down the best tasting red super out there IMO.

o

Any updates now that the 2014 picking season is in full swing?

o

northeast,
Just pickin' and dehydrating, and experimenting with a few batches.
Really getting some good production out of the tree habs. They'll be 8' tall before the season is done. I'll post some pics soon...

o

Holy crap, Tom! 8'?! Can't wait for pics!

Mike

o

Since habs suck, how about one of you "tinkerers"(Romy6) develop the tree BHUT???

Kevin

o

Lol Kevin . I have a 7 pot lava that is about 10 feet tall . Has a much cleaner flavor than the brains to me . But there are so many variations of the brain it is difficult to say .

photo photo_zpsef4a3758.jpg

o

MikeUSMC,
Here's a pic I took this AM. The tape is locked on 8'. I expect the plant to be 8' by first frost. It's a little over 7' now.

o

romy6,
Damn nice plant. Here's another tree hab that's at about 6' in an itty bitty pot and producing like heck.

o

My new favorite is the 7 pod primo. I can't stand scorpions for taste. Reapers taste plain to me, just like the jigsaws. I have red brains from seeds directly from Cappy. I think these have a good, special taste also. They are hotter than morugas. I also got my Primo seeds from Troy Primeaux and these are 10% hotter than the reapers, but taste way better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here