Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richiebaker1245

Psychology of chilli heads!

richiebaker1245
11 years ago

Peppermeister told me to google this, interesting link!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/science/21peppers.html?pagewanted=all

Comments (16)

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Very interesting read! Thanks for the heads up.

Tim

• SgtPepper
    11 years ago

I cannot explain why I love hot food. The article says we are intelligent. Some people would disagree with that - most think we are nuts!

I believe eating these extreme foods are beneficial. No pain, no gain perhaps. I agree with the article that our love of peppers might have a lot to do with that we have an innate sense that they are good for us. I believe that.

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it Richie.
    Very interesting about how other mammals don't want to eat chiles, I guess if we didn't know better and we bit into a really hot chile, you'd probably think it was poison of some sort. The strongest argument I've read about the psychology of chile heads is that it is a controlled thrill, something that presents a feeling of danger but we all know its not going to kill us. (at least for those who like superhots).
    We're also in it for the taste, growing a variety of peppers will give you such diverse flavors that you can't really get unless you grow them yourself. I'm not really into the superhots (yet), but I love to burn my mouth with some habs, ajis and some hot thai chiles. Nothing beats a nice breakfast of spicy eggs featuring fresh picked chiles and some nice hot coffee, it's a mouth burning awakening.
    I gave you a shout on my latest blog article Richie.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER'S First Ever Video Garden Tour!

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi peppermeister, cheers for the mention. Cool video, that's a jungle! I like the way some plants are sunbathing next to the pool... Do they have waiter service when they want a drink? ;-)

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

HAHA, Richie, I put them by the pool for 2 reasons:

1. They are safe from deer, racoons, and other critters.

2. (More importantly)I can lounge in the pool and stare adoringly at my plants, which is usually what I'm doing when I'm not on here stalking the message boards, lol. (Did I mention I have full wifi in the pool area?)
    Cheers Richie!

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Nice tour. It looks like Uncle Jesse has everything under control. I like your setup. You can eat a hot pod, then jump into the pool to cool off. I like the look of the Mucho Nacho....think I'll grow that next year. Congratulations on a successful season.

Tim

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Enjoyed the video, Peppermeister! I tried to make one recently, and it didn't turn out near as well as yours, and was 3x as long, LOL. So how did you add the captions and music to it?

BTW, really like the look of that Purple de Arbol!

Bonnie

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

Thanks Tim, would love to see some more video tours up here, they are really easy to put together. I used my digital camera's video setting and edited it with Windows Live Movie Movie maker, I opened the program for the first time and finished editing this video is about 90 minutes, if you have the basics of Word, excel or Powerpoint, you can use this program. There's even a button when you're done to upload to Youtube, can't get much easier than that. (Damn they should be paying me). Most newer smartphones can pull this off pretty easily too.

Much Nacho is good. It's hot, good producer, minimal cracking, bigger than early jalapeno and most heirlooms. About the same size as Biker Billy but better taste and more prolific, imnsho.

Sucks that seeds from Mucho Nacho Hybrid won't give you anything, I bought 1 plant this year, I'll buy or trade a seed pack next year because I think I've found my go to jalapeno. (Despite my perpetually increasing growlist for next year featuring 5 different jalapeno types, the sickness continues!)

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot Pepper Gardening, Recipes and Chile Info

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Thanks, Peppermeister, for those tips! I have Windows Movie Maker, so I'll give that a try next time. If it turns out, I'll post it.

Bonnie

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Sucks that seeds from Mucho Nacho Hybrid won't give you anything.

So If I buy Mucho Nacho seeds. I germinate them. They grow into a nice plant with pods, I can't harvest the seeds for next year?

Tim

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Bonnie. We would all like to see a tour of your garden with all the variety you have going on. If you need any help just email me thepeppermeister@yahoo.com

Tim,
    You can plant the seeds, and you'll probably even get some to germinate, but if any fruit grows, it might have no heat, or no taste. They are considered "unstable", basically it would be a crappy plant. I've also heard good things about the Jalafuego, like that awesome name isn't enough of a reason....

• capoman
    11 years ago

I think that it's also an endorphin rush that accounts the popularity of hot peppers, especially superhots. I also find that it helps my sinus and joint inflammation problems as well. I also find it makes me more sensitive to the taste of food in general. Not sure if it's due to increased smell or tastebud sensitivity, but I find I can taste nuances in other foods more if there's hot peppers involved.

I also know of one other mammal that likes hot peppers. My dog. It started with leftover meat sauces that had some heat, but now she loves anything with hot peppers or hot sauce in it including salads and salsa. So the question is: Is it just humans that learn to love capsaicin?

• richiebaker1245
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm... One of my workmates gave his dog some leftover beef vindaloo, apparently the dog just sat there with runny eyes & a runny nose, staring at him as if to say "what have you just done to me?". He ate it, but I don't think he ever sniffed vindaloo again, beef or no beef! Oh, and my was severely reprimanded by his girlfriend!

• capoman
    11 years ago

Yeah, I was concerned about bringing that subject up, but my dog has always either accepted or rejected food without it being forced on her. But she loves leftovers, and a lot of our leftovers have hotness to it. We never initially gave her anything that was really hot, but even when we put a plate down that had hot sauce on the side, she would lap it up, and then take a big drink like we would. I think over time, she has accustomed to the heat, just as we have, and doesn't even do that anymore. She shows not sign of discomfort, and has always been a dog that is not obsessed with food, and rejects anything she doesn't want. So I don't feel bad giving her hot stuff. It's her choice to have it or not.

• capoman
    11 years ago

On another note, I'm not sure it's good to give a food obsessed dog hot peppers or hot sauce. If my dog was that type I wouldn't do it. Many dogs though are food obsessed and giving hot stuff to a dog that cannot say no to any food is not a fair thing to do to a dog. Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but it seems to make sense to me. My dog will not eat anything it doesn't want, so I figure host stuff is fair game.

• romy6
    11 years ago

Very nice pepper forrest and great article on chiliheads. Thanks for sharing :)